Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

I'm 13 and weigh 231 pds.!

americangirl495
americangirl495
United States
2007/06/03, 03:09 PM
Hello everyone!
I'm 13 and i weigh 231 pds. I'm not the kind of kid that watches cartoons or t.v all day, so i have no problem putting exercises into my schedule. But, when it comes to exercising, i get sooo confused! I ask myself wat should i eat and should i do this or that. I've tried diets many of times but nothing seems to work. Plus, my goal is to lose 50 pds. this summer alone! Any advice will be very helpful. Thanx!:love:
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/06/04, 08:42 AM
HI, Americangirl495!

Try to think of your eating as a lifestyle change, not a diet. eating healthily and within your caloric needs will help you shed excess fat.

There is a great grocery list in the nutrition forum called "grocery list for healthy eating" take a look at it and try to base your food choices from it. Eat a wide variety of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean protein. Avoid junk food - chips, candy, white bread, etc.

As far as exercise - K.I.S.S. - Keep It Super Simple - start moving more, walk every day if possible - even 10 minutes at a time burns calories and adds up to a better fitness level. If you feel you are ready for some strength training, which will help you burn fat and shape your new body, try the at-home, no-equipment needed workout here. look at the top of the screen for a button that says "exercise program" it will lead you to questions about your goals and available equipment (you don't need any equipment for the at-home workout).

Good luck! Stick around and keep asking questions - this site is a great place to find support!

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

americangirl495
americangirl495
United States
2007/07/27, 07:03 PM
Thanx asimmer! I just started my new diet a week ago with my mom. I have laid off the bread and noodles, and stuff high in fat and calories. I have lost about 5 pds. already! And on sunday I will post my new amount lost. I also started to go walking and bike riding for at least 30 min. a day! My first week of my diet was pretty hard, but I'll soon get over it! Just a few pointers for some people: Instead of bread or noodles, eat more fruit an vegies! For one, it has alot of nutriunts to help u! 2. it has alot less calories and fat than bread and noodles so you can probly eat alot more fruit and vegies than you could noodles!:big_smile: A good treat for a diet is a fruit smoothie! Just add crushed ice, low-fat yogurt, and cut fruit into your blender! You may want to add a little calorie-free sweetener! If you freeze the smoothie in a bowl in the freezer, you get some ice-cream like stuff...but its alot harder! Well, thanx for the support!
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2007/07/27, 08:10 PM
just be careful of fruit, there is alot of natural sugars in them. yes they are great for dieting and a healthy lifestyle but so isnt bread and pasta, but in moderation, eat less but more often, 5-6 times a day and drinks lots of water, the body is like a coal furnace, you need to feed it for it to work properly, just by chewing and activating your intestines and bowels burns calories so goes it for water, takes energy to convert water, meaning that just by drinking water you are burning calories, and i cant emphasize this enough, breakfast is very important, eat a good breakfast to get the body's engine working... Good luck:cool:

--------------
Let me show you
Sweet smell of a delicate whisper
Behind the vision of gardens
Go and read of your life
Tiny ripping at the heart
Drunk from a rose

DAYNSH
DAYNSH
United States
2007/08/27, 09:21 PM
Just remember, no matter what, fat or skinny, you are beautiful!! Having a positive attitude and devloping your special talents is what matters most! In our society, we are programmed to think that thin is beautiful, Girls grow up with eating disorders because they don't look like the girls on the pages of popular magazines! Love yourself first, by doing so, you will gain motivation. Having supporting family and friends helps too, they sometimes keep you on track.

It is great that you have a desire to change things, and start a healthy lifestyle at your young age, unfortunately It took me 38 years.

Know yourself, follow your dreams...you will find that by loving yourself, you will look and feel fabulous! The weightloss and getting into better shape is just an extra bonus.

Good luck on your journey!!

D

============
Quoting from americangirl495:

Hello everyone!
I'm 13 and i weigh 231 pds. I'm not the kind of kid that watches cartoons or t.v all day, so i have no problem putting exercises into my schedule. But, when it comes to exercising, i get sooo confused! I ask myself wat should i eat and should i do this or that. I've tried diets many of times but nothing seems to work. Plus, my goal is to lose 50 pds. this summer alone! Any advice will be very helpful. Thanx!:love:
=============