Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Just not losing weight.....

yipeiokyay
yipeiokyay
United States
2007/05/29, 04:52 PM
I will make this as brief as I can. Years ago I lost 100lbs on Weight Watchers. I have gained back about 50lbs and can't seem to get it off again.

I have tried WW again, for 2 months, with no budge of the scale. I journaled, weighed the food, made sure there was no hidden bad anything and drank my water.

Then I tried Atkins, I didn't go crazy with bacon, sausage, eggs, etc. Just ate sensibly and from the approved food lists. I felt great but didn't lose an ounce.

Then I went with a healthier plan. I would have a smoothie at about 7am (1%milk, frozen unsweetened fruit, golden flax seed) 10am 1 egg on a light multigrain english muffin and a slice of cheese. Lunches would be either grilled chicken or fish with veggies and fruit for an afternoon snack. Then chicken or fish and veggies for dinner. Almost never over 1100 or so calories in a day....again, I felt great but never lost an ounce.

My doctor now has me on a "no starch" diet. Again...I feel great but am not losing any weight.

Moreover I am rarely even hungry but I eat because I am supposed to.

I have been exercising through all of the various diets. A mixture of cardio classes, treadmill and circuit. At home I try and do 100 crunches and 100 tricept exercises each day as well. I had tried a walking/jogging program but my joints just couldn't stand up to the pounding at my current weight. The treadmill part I try and do intervals of high and low and change the incline from time to time.

Still....no movement on the scale.

I just had my bloodwork done and everything is "great" no thyroid issues, my cholesterol is 125, insulin is fine...anything that they checked all came back great.

OK...so I won't have a heart attack but I am still fat and if something doesn't change very soon I am going to move on to Medi-Fast and just get it over with.

ANyone have any ideas that might help me out? Also, while I do appreciate the "stick with it" "You are doing great...just give it more time" I really don't want to hear any of that. I want the scale to move (lower) and none of the people I have been working with can tell me why it isn't and what more to do.

HELP!!!!
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/05/29, 05:45 PM
Hard to tell with no personal info. Fill out your profile and others will be sure to help!!!

1100 calories sounds like it is issue to me, just from you've stated above.

Your body needs a certain amount of calories to perform daily functions. If you go below this considerably, then your body will go into survival mode and store fat.

A classic sign of this occuring would be someone that lost alot of weight and then gained some or all back.
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/05/29, 05:51 PM
Also, I would not see a doctor for weight loss. If your numbers are showing that you are healthy, then I would consult a nutritionist!!
yipeiokyay
yipeiokyay
United States
2007/05/29, 08:33 PM
I have already consulted a nutritionist, prior to my seeing my doctor for a physical. The nutritionist said I needed to increase my complex carbs a little...to bring myself up to about 1300 calories.

I tried that for a while with no change. That lead me to ask the doctor what he thought I should do...since nothing else was working. He suggested the "no starch" approach. That is not a big problem for me because I wasn't eating pasta, potatoes, or anything "bad" as it was. The only bread products I was eating was twice a day...once at breakfast (100% whole wheat pita with my eggs) and at lunch (2 slices high fiber flax & grain bread)

The nutritionist suggested that I have my thyroid checked, just in case, and everything seems fine.

For whatever reason the weight just won't come off. Also, all of this dieting has made it so I am rarely hungry and food really doesn't hold much interest any more. I eat whatever is easy and fits into "the plan" beyond that I have little interest in it.
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/05/29, 08:56 PM
well unless you are just a mere 110 lbs (no weight listed) 1100 cals a day is way too little your body has probably went into starvation mode and is holding onto the fat rather then using food for fuel
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/05/30, 12:41 PM
Totally agree with Jay, especially if you are exercising! When I started my healthier lifestyle 3 years ago, I was only eating about 1300 cals a day, and working out like crazy. Well, after doing a ton of research here, I went out on a limb and increased my calories to between 1500-1700 cals per day and I won't lie! It was hard! I felt like a failure at first, eating that much. Strangly enough, the pounds and inches started melting away at the higher caloric count. If you don't eat enough to sustain yourself, (let alone the calories you are burning while exercising) you won't go anywhere! First, you need to determine what your basal metabolic rate is (you can google this and find calculators everywhere). Then decrease your calories by around 500 per day. If you decrease your calories by 500 and burn off 500 while exercising, you should lose approx. 2 lbs. per week which is a healthy loss. You should avoid a calorie deficit of more than 1000 calories (unless you are VERY overweight!). Keeping in mind, this isn't just about cutting calories. It's about getting a healthy mix. I try to keep my total calorie intake proportioned to fat around 30%, carbs around 40% and protien around 40%, (Keep in mind, the %'s are different for everyone, this just happens to work well for me.) It doesn't mean that you can eat 1500 calories worth of bon bons and potato chips (my mother used to do this).
My last 2 cents (based on a lot of experience! good bad and ugly!): You can go on weight watchers, atkins, diet after diet after diet. You can cut your calories by a ridiculous amount, and deprive yourself. Then, you may lose 100 lbs. and gain back 50. Or, even lose 50 and gain back 100! ;) OR.... You can adopt a healthy lifestyle. Throw out the word dieting. "Diet" is a naughty word in our house, our children aren't even allowed to say it as it has so many negative conotations. "I'm on a diet" is a temporary statement. "I'm going to eat well, just until I weigh what I want, then I'll quit". "Healthy lifestyle" or "eating clean" is permenant (with a few lapses and exceptions here and there)! With all due respect, everything in your posts are about "diet diet diet" except for the one where you went for healthy lifestyle but only ate 1100 calories, which I would not consider "healthy". I would avoid any "diets" where you are not allowed a specific food group. Everything in moderation and in a healthy balance. If you are required to completely restrict one food group (like no starch for instance?), I strongly believe that it will lead to failure. It's a lot easier to say "I will allow myself to eat 1 or 2 servings of bread or pasta a day for the rest of my life" rather than saying "I will never ever ever eat bread again. I will burn down the pasta factories and Italian restaurants and will live on brown rice and brocolli. FOREVER!" Now, which can you do for the rest of your life?
You can do this. We all can. But it's all about a long term commitment. If you want to do this to lose a few pounds to fit into those cute shorts you own, well, you will probably do just that and will have to "diet" again next summer to get back into the same pair of shorts.
If you want to make a lifelong committment to your good health for the sake of yourself, and your family, for your energy level, for your longevity, for your inner and outter wellbeing, etc. then by all means.
Good luck to you, and please keep researching the boards. There is a ridiculous amount of helpful information!!!! Also, you don't mention in your posts how long you stick with each new eating plan. Be patient! Give your body a chance to adjust and alter the way it burns the energy.
Best of luck.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/05/30, 05:53 PM
It is a up for debate....I have been to three doctors/1 nutritionist in the past year and have been told to NOT go above 1200 if I want to lose any weight (also check the , 200 of that is due to not having a thyroid, so for my weight/age/height/gender, that would be normally 1400 calories per day if I had a thyroid. The link below is from the American Heart Association and for my age I should have only about 2000 to maintain my weight per day, take away 200 for the thyroid issue to lose weight, that leaves 1800 and that pretty much shows my doctors weren't that far off as far as this goes. The American Diabetes Assoc. is also linked below for information as one doctor stated that is a good site as it will help you to see what you can do to keep your weight in a healthy state. We are all different and that is what it comes down to, you have to do what works for YOU or you can get stuck in a rut, you have to adjust and re-adjust continually.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?
identifier=3040366

http://www.diabetes.org/weightloss-and-exercise.jsp

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2007/05/30, 06:00 PM

============
Quoting from yipeiokyay:

I tried that for a while with no change.
=============

How long is "a while?"

--------------
I see the words you are typing, but all I read is *click*click*click*

\"He may be gone, but Sanjaya proved that it doesn\'t matter how talented you are - if you believe in yourself, you can annoy literally millions of people.\" Jimmy Kimmel