Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

advice on routine

hay223
hay223
United Kingdom
2007/05/22, 05:36 AM
Hi guys, I have been training with weights on and off for about 10 years now, but still class myself as a beginner. The gains I have made in both strength and size is very small and I find myself jumping from one routine to another and also jumping from one goal to another. One minute my goal is to gain, then the next it is to lose fat. My diet is pretty good as I am eating using the paleo diet (meat,fish,fuit,veg and nuts).
I'm looking for some advice on routines. As I work in construction and i'm also pretty busy after I finish work I would like a routine that doesn't have me in the gym fours very long. I've previously used Mike Mentzers HIT, Neg only training and Brooks Kubiks Dinosaur training. Hit and Neg only training was perfect for me time regarding time spent in the gym as a session lasted around 30 minutes. However while using N.O.T I felt that i'm not getting anywhere and while using HIT I felt that I could not keep focus for many reps. I can't really remember my gains while using Dinosaur training as it was a few years ago, But I do prefer to train using singles as I can put all of my focus in that one rep. My goals are to gain in both size and strength, strength being the main goal. I realise that I will not gain much size from singles training, but I feel that I need to gain strength first and then maybe when i'm at a decent level change to a size routine.
My stats are:
Age 29
Height 5'9"
Weight 170 lb
fat 16/18%

Squat 1 rep 110 kilos
bench 1 rep 85 kilos
Deadlift 1 rep 130 kilos

As you can see my lifts are very weak. Any advice on training would be appreciated.
Cheers.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/05/22, 11:29 AM
HIT is normally only successful as a yload.
Negative only training is something that should be done once in a while, not as a routine.
And Dinosaur training should be used AFTER a base is built.

My advice to you is stop looking for a FAD routine. All these routines are very well marketed as the next big thing, as amazing programs that are "so radically different". Stick with what works, stick with the basics. You are in this for the long run, so it doesn't make sense to choose short term programs (in terms of results).

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk