Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Eat My Meat by Dave Tate

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/04/25, 03:49 PM
Good article posted on T-nation today. Gets to the point, and has some good and useful advice.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=8EDE56A220A8190848D611AC3B0265BB.hydra?id=1545068

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

2007/04/26, 12:20 PM
I dont know if i necessarily like the title of the article. LOL...But the information is awesome.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/04/26, 01:19 PM
lol yeah...I liked the "push your body away from the bar" tip. Can't wait to see if I can get a little extra from it on my bench.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

danny_tuff
danny_tuff
Australia
2007/04/26, 08:31 PM
lots of nice little stuff in there. The falling from pull up to find feet position is the same thing you told me menace about finding bench grip falling into a pushup. Just wondering would that be true for both deadlift and squat, because it mentions it for deadlift but wouldnt you want to squat in your most stable state also. But ive never really seen guys have same squat and deadlift feet position. Also whats the reasoning behind trying to "pull the bar apart":big_smile:

--------------
OBSESSION is a word the lazy use to describe the DEDICATED
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/04/27, 12:01 AM
Most people stick in the bench press at the point right where your triceps take over. Pulling the bar apart activates the triceps a bit sooner so the transaction from lat/shoulder/chest to tricpe is easier.

It also gets your deltoids fired up and keeps you tighter.

I have anyone interested in OLY lifting high jump 3x and where they land the 3rd time is where they pull from.

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
danny_tuff
danny_tuff
Australia
2007/04/27, 12:05 AM
thanks for that. Do you do the same thing to find out squat position. Because feel much more stable taking a bit wider stance but cannot go as deep as i would like or lift as explosively. is this normal or a weakness in a certain area??

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/04/27, 12:27 AM
Nope. My squat stance is much wider then my pull stance.

My OLYMPIC squat stance is the same width that I would catch my clean or snatch in.

--------------
Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
danny_tuff
danny_tuff
Australia
2007/04/27, 12:36 AM
what are the main areas to work on for flexiblity in a wide stance??

--------------
danny_tuff
danny_tuff
Australia
2007/04/27, 12:37 AM
also forgot to put this in last post. I know your meant to keep a tight arch, is this ur natural arch or do u exaggerate the arch a bit??

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/04/28, 05:33 PM
What arch is it we are talking about?

If it's a bench arch, it is an exaggerated arch. In my last meet I was told I could've put a small child under my lower back, to give you an idea of what some powerlifters are doing.

Pull your shoulders back and rotate your pelvis anteriorly towards the bench.

--------------
Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
danny_tuff
danny_tuff
Australia
2007/04/28, 11:43 PM
thanks for the tip with the bench but i was talking about the squat. I also find that i can quite comfortably get just below parallell but as soon as i drop any lower my back rounds straight away no matter how tight i am. Is this a strength issue or flexibility issue maybe in the hips??? thanks

--------------
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/05/05, 02:29 AM
26. If you can't flex it then DON'T ISOLATE IT. You need to have control of your body if you're going to do isolation movements. If I asked you to flex your pecs, it'd probably be easy. You can make those boobies bounce with pride. Now what if I asked you to do the same with your triceps, delts, hamstrings, or lats? If you can't, why in the hell are you doing tight isolation bodybuilding cable work? Hmm... never thought of that one, did you? Stick with the presses and rows and build muscle first. You can't flex bone.

my fav one lol

--------------
\\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/05/05, 12:21 PM
Tight glutes most likely, as well as hamstrings. While there will be some pelvic tuck with DEEP squats, the goal is to minimize this.

--------------
Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk