Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

One of those days

doggiecool
doggiecool
United States
2007/04/13, 05:56 PM
So I was amped today when I got into the gym for some hack squats! One problem-I forgot to bring pants. :surprised: After 2-3 sets of light weight my calves were pretty raw so I decided to deadlift for the remainder of my sets. I was still going to squat next and had done clean presses yesterday so I wanted to save my lower back, thus 2 sets of sumo style lifts (easier on lower back) ended with some bloody shins. (Bar is closer to shins sumo) As you can imagine I was pretty discouraged when I got to squating and 2 warm up sets in my form was so bad that I just decided to give up before I hurt myself. So it was on to the smith machine for split squats with one leg on a bench :( Does this often happen to all of you guys too? Man it's depressing!
2007/04/16, 01:09 PM
Smith Machine is a waste of space in a gym.

Stand a bit away from the bar.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/04/16, 01:14 PM
I um well actually like it when the bar scrapes my shins raw sorry...that is me.

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/04/16, 03:20 PM
slows the bar down though...somtimes it can't be helped though

--------------
\\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
doggiecool
doggiecool
United States
2007/04/16, 07:20 PM
Standing away from the bar during a sumo lift encourages leaning forward. Your lift should start as close to the shins (if not touching) as possible to prevent moving away from your heels. Shins are a good guide as well for bar travel. Just dont pull into them or as bigandrew said it will slow your movement down. In other words do it out of pants for 1 or 2 big lifts in a meet, otherwise pants are probably a good idea. You're still gonna scrape them even with sweats on. I know I did earlier today :)