Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Fiber to feel fuller?

PureSnowChic25
PureSnowChic25
United States
2007/04/12, 04:06 PM
I have often heard people saying a way to feel fuller is to get more fiber in the diet. I do try to eat a lot of veggies and fruits and some whole grains, but I still feel hungry thoughout the day... Has anyone had any experience with a fiber supplement, such as putting it in your water and drinking it throughout the day, any suggestions? warnings? good idea? bad idea? Thanks everyone!

--------------
MARCH 2007- 165# 24%BF 40#FAT 125#LBM

This years goals;

1). Lose 15 lbs.
2). Get consistent with workouts and eating habits.
3). Get to 19% BF.
jonshez
jonshez
United Kingdom
2007/04/12, 05:06 PM
I don't know about feeling fuller, I'm eating so much these days that I never feel hungry but it's all salad, tuna, cottage cheese and lean meat.

What I can tell you about fibre is that it helps your digestion, makes you regular and if you're getting 30g per day cuts your risk of colon cancer by some impressive percentages.

So, even if it doesn't fill you up it's still worth making sure you get plenty.
fouts
fouts
United States
2007/04/12, 05:25 PM
If your goal is to lose weight then fiber is your best bet. Fiber does not digest so it should make you feel fuller. If you're still hungry maybe it is because of your activity level. I wouldn't take a fiber supplement, I would just try to get it from natural sources. You're on the right track with fruit, veggies, and whole grains. My grandfather took a fiber supplement every morning(the powder that you mix in water-Benefiber-I think) and he never lost any weight. Stick to natural sources. Try eating fiber one honey cluster cereal. It has almost a full days worth of fiber in 1 cup and tastes great.
fouts
fouts
United States
2007/04/12, 05:40 PM
Here are some more foods, in order from highest fiber content to least but all are good to add to diet:split peas, lentils, black beans, baked beans, avocado, peas, raspberries, blackberries, artichoke, brussel sprouts, bran flakes, spaghetti(whole wheat), sweet potato, pear, broccoli, turnip greens, quinoa, oatmeal, brown rice, almonds. Also remember the more fiber a food contains the fewer calories it has. Soluble fiber is what you should focus on if you want to feel fuller, good sources of soluble fiber are beans, citrus fruit, oatmeal, and barley. Shoot for at least 25-30 grams a day. Also remember to add some protein to every meal, it helps make you feel fuller as well and the combination of the two should take away that hunger.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/04/16, 08:28 PM
I also add benefiber to my crystal lite and sometimes supplement with sugar-free chewable fiber tablets.

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle