Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

What am I doing Wrong?

onelilhorangi
onelilhorangi
United States
2007/04/11, 10:27 PM
I am having such a hard time losing weight. I run for 2-3hrs 5-6 times a week burning from 1500-1800 calories roughly and I rotate with stair running and I am doing some weight training. I am 185Ibs right now and the scale isn't budging. I feel alittle more toned but my measurements aren't changing. Actually, after doing ab exercises after not doing them for a while, my stomach is alittle more protruding and flabby. I used to eat very little and lost alot of weight but it was under 1000 calories. Now, I am trying to up my calories and eating cleaner. For the past 4 days I have but the scale and my body isn't changing much. I am just packing on thick muscles. The fat is not budging off my abs or arms.
My day:
7-wake
8-10-jog 1500-2000 calories- I switch it up with 15mins of jogging, maybe 5 mins of hard running and 5 mins of walking. (Every other day I put in high running and stairs)
10-stretch, whey shake of 260 calories and 44 grams of protein and 4 carbs

12-salad (3 cups lettuce with 2 cheesesticks, mushrooms, tomatoes)-567 calories
2- soymilk shake or whey shake-270 calories
4- 1 cucumber, or yogurt
6-chicken breast with veggies- 300 calories
other snacks- 2 hardboiled eggs-140 calories
my diet ranges about-
1500-1800 calories, 40-52 carbs, 9 grams fiber and 239 grams of protein. THis feels like alot to be eating since I am used to losing weight rapidly by eating little. Am I eating over then I should to lose weight and my running maintains my weight? I have a large frame and I build muscle very fast in my upper body and have fairly muscular legs but my stomach is the problem. I want to have a tight cut stomach this summer. Is my body adjusted to my running routine? I've been running for a long time. I really need advice because I just can't get rid of the fat!I don't want to keep doing my strength training and just get bigger because the fat is going along with the muscle. Thanks=)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/04/12, 09:12 AM
you are overexercising.

Give your body time to adjust to eating healthily.

You are running off more or equal to the calroies you are taking in - no way your body is going to give up stored energy - it senses a famine. I can't say it enough - if you eat too little, your body will prioritize by getting rid of muscle because it is metabolically hungrier than fat. This, in turn will slow your metabolism down. and you will see, as you are, that you are getting mushier and flabbier, not toned and lean.

Reduce your running to 45 minutes - 1 hour max, every other day (before you end up with bone fractures)

Add resistance training, even bodyweight exercises would be good start. Do these on the days you don't run.

Start eating a sensible diet.

Before running have half a scoop of whey in milk or water, that way you aren't running on empty and slowing down your metabolism.

After running or exercising a good breakfast would be 1/2c oats and some scrambled eggs or a whey shake.

Snack - veggies And some small cubes of lowfat cheese or a handfull of walnuts or almonds

Lunch - chicken breast or tuna fish, salad, 1/2c brown rice

Snack = shake or some other type of protein and carb combe

Dinner - fish or chicken, salad baked sweet potato

snack 1/2c lowfat cottage cheese.

You should have more energy and finally see the fat start coming off, though it may take longer because your body won't 'trust' that this isn't a fluke for a while. Be patient, you have put your body through a lot.

If you haven't already spoken with a counselor, it might be a good idea, you eating habits and running are very typical anorexic behavior..a road you don't want to go down!

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

georgiagirl
georgiagirl
United States
2007/04/12, 09:50 AM
I agree with Amy. I was not eating enough and I was packing on and retaining fat storages. I have upped my cals and now my body is much happier and is releasing the fat stores because it knows I will feed it again soon! I currently and eating between 1750-1850 cals per day and my jeans are falling off and I have tightened my belt 2 loops! Try it... what do you have to lose?

--------------
My Catahoula did it.

I saw a book titled \"Sex for Dummies\" and wondered why
anyone would teach dumb people how to reproduce?
onelilhorangi
onelilhorangi
United States
2007/04/13, 05:00 PM
Thank you both for your advice. I've been trying to take that approach and I feel alot better and I've notice I dropped about .5 inches on my hips and waist compared to 4/09. I used to be anorexic as a kid but thats not part of me anymore. I just want to be healthy and strong but lately I've been so stressed so I run to relieve some of that. Running is my only source of relief from my stress and yea haha I need to figure that one out in order to not injury my joints. Thank you. Hope it doesn't take my body too long to know its not going to be tricked out of its nutrients so I can start getting healthy. =)