Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Workin' on it

Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/04/11, 02:13 PM
After a very tough past year, I am glad to see the scale lowering again, slowly, but it is happening. I have 11 pounds to go to my next goal and once that is reached, I will be very happy with my progress as I will only have 30 pounds to go from there -- much better than the 70 I began with as my goal. I will see how things are at that point and go from there, but I will be at a much healthier weight for my height. I can't say it has been easy, the hardest part is that I continue to take care of others before myself...and now facing the fact that my beautiful now 10 month old grandson has been diagnosed with a terminal illness has been heartbreaking and I find that I eat when I "have time", which usually means overeating since it amounts to about one meal a day...but I have been eating oatmeal to start the day like I did for so long and then stopped and that has helped, my job makes it hard to eat but I am not binge eating as I had for over 12 years. It is about peace and finding that peace within ourselves and then having the faith in ourselves to believe we can accomplish our weight loss goals...it seemed too far out there for me to grasp most times, but coming to a point in my life where I know I have to put myself second (God first) in order to be the person I need to be to help those I love made a big difference. We all need to dig within ourselves and pull out the strongest part of ourselves and use that to accomplish our goals, the weakness (that little voice that says we are not worth it)we would normally draw from only serves to drown us and make us feel like we have failed before we even start. When you reach the point where food isn't what controls you, however you reach it, that is when you start to feel the strength return and goals become easier to attain. Don't make the mistake of going into losing weight to "look good for a wedding", an upcoming reunion, but instead do it to FEEL good inside and out, short term goals that offer quick fixes usually end up long term problems with a more difficult time fixing....I'm not saying you shouldn't draw your motivation from something that is important to you, I'm just saying that when you come to a point that it is something within you that wants to gain the control you lost to food, you will find success and most likely on a permanent basis...the proof is there, we have people on this site that are testimony to that.

Good luck to each and every one of you and I hope that you find that place within you that screams "I CAN DO THIS!" because when you listen to that voice, you can do it!

:love::dumbbell::love:

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/04/11, 07:28 PM
Welcome back, veda, my heart goes out to you and your family.

Keep trooping.

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/04/18, 05:31 PM
Thank you, Miss Inspiration!! You have been such a big part of my weightloss journey, you have no idea...I have seen you go through some things yourself, and yet there you are --strong and serving here on FT as encouragement to others even when tough times have rained on you. Thanks for the sunshine when you sometimes must have felt a bit overcast!

I am down another pound today, I thought I'd take a peak as I thought I should have a loss as I was diligent about keeping to my plan and goals...so a pound in another week, that is good and the progress continues, I cannot wait until I hit the 199 mark, I am so close and yet it has been SO many years since I was at that, that sometimes I felt it is unattainable, but I have long tired of pity parties when faced with things in life that are ALOT tougher than losing weight....

============
Quoting from asimmer:

Welcome back, veda, my heart goes out to you and your family.

Keep trooping.

=============

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/04/27, 08:37 PM
Okay, just 7 pounds from my first goal - hate the scale more than ever, but had to step up to see if I needed to adjust anything, it is time to re-evaluate my exercise and try to change and add more variety and time to dedicate to it. I exercise each day, but only about 20-30 minutes, we'll see what happens when I increase to 30-40, just have to find more time for me, I guess, but it is worth it to be under 199 pounds, once there, there will be NO going back for this kid, worked to hard, too long, too many fallbacks, too many disappointments, I'd rather reap the success of good health each day than take the milestones that come too far and few between - but I will take what I can get until I get there.

--------------
Veda

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/04/29, 12:25 PM
You can do it, veda, just believe in the process.
Are you lifting or only doing cardio?

have you checked out the WSSC food plan - I dropped a l;ot of weight fairly painlessly (without being hungry) on that plan. Give it a look-see in the general forum (I think :))
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/05/07, 09:06 PM
Thank you, A ~ I am doing 30 min of cardio and also weights, just looking into purchasing a total gym as we just don't have room in the new house for the free weights, so I will have to compromise a bit, but will keep a few of the major pieces, this way I can increase the weight time, too, add some variation, getting kind of bored. I have checked out the plan, I have been actually doing very well eating...we had movie night for our church and I was in charge of CANDY sales!!! The other girls were eating that stuff and offering me pieces and the "Oh, come on...you can have some", etc. but I did not touch a bite. Then two days later we had a all day church picnic and food galore, I ate....get ready for this......pieces of lettuce and an egg until I got home and could eat some decent food (it was all GOOD, but not good for you, lol!). I am really liking this after I got past the feeling of missing out, that was the hardest to overcome, even when I tried the past two years, it was still in the back of my mind --but now I feel like I am getting the best out of life and can't wait to hit my goal and then on to the next...this last couple pounds is tougher, my body is certainly rebelling against me and doesn't want me to lose any more, after all, it has been 13 years since I was below the 199 mark, so I am taking that in stride and not giving up as I believe once I get there, it will get me past the "hump" of the 200's and then the motivation, joy and healthy feelings will overcome to my final goal!! :love: Thanks always for the encouragement and I hope that you are enjoying life, for all you do for others you deserve it!

============
Quoting from asimmer:

You can do it, veda, just believe in the process.
Are you lifting or only doing cardio?

have you checked out the WSSC food plan - I dropped a l;ot of weight fairly painlessly (without being hungry) on that plan. Give it a look-see in the general forum (I think :))
=============

--------------
Veda

conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/05/08, 01:42 AM
Keep at it Veda..I know you'll get there, and once you do, watch out!!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/05/09, 03:39 PM
Thank you!! I just got done with my first 30 minute workout on the new machine - it is awesome!!! I can feel my muscles just saying thank you over and over (though tomorrow they may be screaming for mercy, lol!!!). Best money ever spent! It is an all in one machine with cables, but it works every part of me!! Awesome!

--------------
Veda

Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/05/20, 10:02 AM
Wow---haven't been on here in a few days and there hasn't been any posts on this forum, I hope that means that everyone is doing great --soooooo great that you are all out exercising and lovin' it!!

I have definately hit that wonderful plateau it seems, haven't stepped on the scales in a few weeks and finally did so and hadn't lost a pound in that time, although it may be attributable to my added weight time to my routine now. My body is definately transforming itself slowly but surely into something I am liking more each day, but it is hard to be patient with the process. I think it is time to do some more modifications to my diet, I have been eating much more salads and add a few nuts and cranberries and little to no dressing now that summer is here the veggies are so much better, too. I can also add some more outside activities now with the nicer weather, so that is an added benefit as I don't like going out into the cold, my asthma gives me a hard time when exercising in the cooler weather, so that will be a welcome change. I don't even miss pop anymore, but if I get a taste for it, I just grab a diet and that is refreshing from time to time.

This past year, I didn't gain any weight back from my loss prior, but due to a lessened exercise routine, it definately made me much "softer", I hate the "pillows" I received due to my neglecting to find time to exercise as much with my busy schedules and am glad to see some of that tightening up and luckily much of my skin doesn't seem to be sagging as much as I thought as the extra weight has come off and I attribute that to allowing myself to lose in a healthy manner vs. quick and non-healthy, it is nice to see I have a neckline vs. just my chin going straight to my collerbone, lol! I have suffered stretch marks, something I never had before with weight loss, but this weight has been on me for a very long time and I am sure my skin was really ticked off and this is the ramifications of that! I can deal with anything as long as I feel and look healthy again.

One of the hardest things I have found is that the ONLY person that has mentioned my now weight loss of 30#'s is my husband commented once and a girlfriend rubbed my check in passing and said, you are losing weight, I can see your cheekbones, lol! It is like people don't want to compliment you or maybe afraid to comment afraid they would then be reaffirming that I was fat to begin with --****NEWS FLASH**** I was/still am!! But, I would think some of my closest friends would at least congratulate me as it is definately noticeable now --I have even been able to wear snugger shirts where before it was XXXXXXLarge, whatever was the biggest size to look like a tent around me covering me up....I can wear tank tops and not look foolish, but the most a friend said was, "I like your shirt"....sometimes it makes me feel like just saying FORGET IT as I am working SOOOOO hard and feel like it is a figment of my own mind that I am losing weight, but then I have to remember that it is not other people that I am losing weight for, but myself.....confirmation would be nice, but it is not necessary, it is confusing that people I care about and care about me would not give me some positive support and reinforcement ----NOT offer me cake/cookies, etc. like many have done (Oh, just go ahead, one won't hurt you!)....but I guess it is what it is.

Two friends of mine were diagnosed with cancer (one with colon stage 3 and the other with lung and possibly to the liver) and I am waiting on another's biopsy to find out if a third will carry the big "C" as I did, so I am trying to be supportive. My grandson with SMA just turned one, which means he beat the odds and that is great --he just came out of the hospital again this week from another bout of pneumonia which is extremely deterimental to his illness, but he was out in THREE DAYS --he has never left in less than four weeks!! Praise God!! So stress levels are not relenting, but life is good and what you make it, right?!

My husband is suffering from mid-life crisis and brought home his second motorcycle in two months and going with my grandson's father, my son, on a dangerous run called "Dragon Tail" if anyone has heard of it...there is a tree called the "Shame Tree" where pieces of motorcycles hang from crashes and where many are killed each year...that is today and just the three hour drive to get there makes me nervous enough, so I just have to keep the refrigerator stocked with a lot of salad today, lol!!

I am off to church and then to do a photo shoot for a band and hope when I return I hear from some of you out there....I have also been asked to be a contributing writer to another magazine and I have been contemplating doing articles on my progress with my path to healthy living, hoping to give others encouragement and keep me on track (hard to mess up with thousands waiting for you to, lol!!). Well, gotta run, I blabbed a lot because I today, I guess, because I beleive in keeping it real ---real crap happens out there everyday that can impact our diet, our decisions, but we gotta keep our souls and our bodies healthy regardless.

Post.....it is important that we all know we are human and that others are going through the same problems and the same successes, we don't always have to sugar coat things, but we do owe it to ourselves to make all negatives a positive!:love::love:

Have a great Sunday, folks!

--------------
Veda

conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/05/20, 12:38 PM
Glad to see you are still at it Veda. I wouldn't worry much about people not saying anything. I would guess it is like the "asking someone when they are due only to find out they aren't pregnant" syndrome :)

And sometimes if you see people all the time the changes might not be as noticable. My brother-in-law is the only person here that has said anything about the changes I have made. But, when I went back home in April, that's all anyone could talk about!! Use it as fuel!! You make enough change, people will have no choice but to say something about it!!

Veda, you always have us, so just keep at it.

PS. My Dad just recently sold his bike. He was driving down the highway and almost hit a deer, so he decided he better get rid of it!!
Maybe you could talk him into a dirt bike :)
msmogreen
msmogreen
United States
2007/05/20, 01:56 PM
Veda, I agree with Conan on comments from people. There is a woman at work who had gastric bypass before I met her and her weightloss stalled quite a while ago. But several times I was sure she had lost mote weight, asked her, and it turned out she'd even gained a few pounds. I think what she wears makes a big difference. I finally stopped asking. I've done that with other people, too. I always think other people are losing weight...and it turns out I'm wrong. So, maybe it is something like that. They see a difference, but they aren't sure, so don't risk embarrassment (theirs or yours) if they are wrong.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/05/20, 05:09 PM
It could be embarrasment, but it could also be that your weight loss makes them self-conscious about their own weight, so they don't comment because it might open a dialogue they would like to avoid.

Hang in there, the stronger you get the better you can deal with all the things life is heaping onto you.

take measurements and ditch that scale - you are changing shape!

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/05/22, 09:22 PM
Thanks all!! You guys are so wonderful and encouraging!! I think you all made great sense and appreciate your taking the time to comment.

I just finished a grueling workout, can hardly type, lol, that is great!!

You know, my clothes probably don't help, twice this week my shirt kept falling off my shoulder it has gotten so big on me, it was irritating at first until I looked in the mirror at work and had to laugh --it was falling off because it was so big!! Then yesterday I put on my workout pants I wore last year and they are baggy, they have NEVER been baggy, but skin tight, what a revolution! YEY!

There is definately a body change going on, I am really enjoying this and cannot believe that I slacked on it for so long...I mean I have made small strides, but one day it was like something snapped and I think this is what people truly feel like when they get to that point where it becomes a no-going-back situation and I am so happy to be here and am so grateful for the support here.

Thanks so much for your help!

P.S......my husband just finished a 10 minute workout on the new total gym after seeing me grunting ----I still finished more weight and reps than he did, but yes, yes, yes little steps and he may decide to get into shape, too!

--------------
Veda

Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/05/26, 11:27 PM
A great day! I actually went on a motorcycle ride with my husband, normally I wouldn't get on it because I hate thinking of what I would look like going down the road on it (I know, I know....I shouldn't think that way, but regardless, I do)....well, he just bought this really cool bike, a Kawasaki Meanstreak (though Harley is the preference, this is a nasty bike!)....I really enjoyed thinking less of my weight since my weight losses & body changes and more of just having FUN!!

I also dug in my closest and pulled out some dress pants I have had brand new tucked away for 7 years or so and they are a size 14 (I had been wearing anywhere from the good ole' "I don't want to know how fat I am" stretchies, to sizes 20-18), it was such a great feeling to put them on and they zipped, so I dug out more and more and more and more fit, so I have a whole new wardrobe, how cool is that?! I am still not stepping on that scale until I get down to a size 12, that is my goal now rather than get on every two weeks, it just isn't reasonable now that I am doing the weights every day, rotating upper and lower every other day besides the cardio.

I have learned that there are many, many more good days now vs. the majority being more of the bad ones I had for so many years being so depressed about my weight and lifestyle.

Take care all, V

--------------
Veda

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/05/27, 07:23 PM
:big_smile::big_smile:
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/05/27, 10:15 PM
Well, today I got my husband after a year at our new house to get the boxing bag up for me, I have it outside and it was a beautiful day to beat it up! I missed boxing so much this past year.

I actually even had a few people tell me "you have lost weight haven't you" or "you look great" today....I think it was because I found those clothes yesterday and they fit better, lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is everyone else doing???

--------------
Veda

conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/05/28, 02:40 PM
I'm still hangin in there. It's getting easier and easier these days. Before, I'd have a day or 2 each week where I really didn't feel like lifting, but now I look forward to each and every workout!!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2007/05/30, 05:57 PM
Glad you are on track and enjoying it, conan! I am enjoying it, myself!! I got that boxing bag hung up and bloodied my knuckles, but boy was it worth it, it felt absolutely awesome to have added variety as I get bored quickly, so now I have the glider, weight machines, free weights, boxing bag and the great outdoors!!

Have a great day!! Thanks for the update!

--------------
Veda