Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

advice please

tlfab2001
tlfab2001
United States
2007/03/28, 03:53 PM
I am a 30 year old female that weighs 290 lbs. I had lost 130 pounds before I had my child. I know I have to exercise to lose but I would like a general guideline on the amount of calories I need and sample w/o schedule. I am ready to be healthy. I did my profile and I did not see where it breaks it all down for me.
ex.
to lose 2-3 lbs weekly eat ___calories for loss
do 45 minutes of cardio 3X weekly
do 20 minutes toning 2X weekly

Any advice is appreciated.
Also, do many of you limit carbs? When I lost weight before I did not, I just ate in moderation.. it is so much harder this time!
jaytori129
jaytori129
United States
2007/03/28, 04:23 PM
it doesnt show you completed your profile...but general rule for fat loss is 10-13 cals per lb of bodyweight but that assumes that they are good cals with simple carbs in check try tracking on a calorie site i use fitday for food tracking. so for starters cals about 2900 for you but keep it to healthy whole foods
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/03/30, 09:06 AM
Hi tlfab2001 - welcome to freetrainers.
I suggest you look at the thread "WSSC' Challenge food plan and try that eating plan for a while - I lost about 35 pounds without being hungry on it. You get lots of healthy food and once you figure out your meal plans and prepare them ahead of time, it is pretty simple.

I think at 290, you need to be doing a bit of cardio nearly every day, but work your way up to it. On non-weight training days the longer, steady state cardio is good, on weight training days, try to 15-20 minutes of interval training after you lift weights. Do a fitbudy serach (search engine at the bottom of the page) on HIIT if you want to learn more. Or look up the Guided Fat Loss Challenge in this forum and read the posts pertaining to it, it has a good workout and cardio routine for beginner to mid-level trainees.

My clients see the biggest changes when they start getting up earlier and doing 15 minutes of walking or biking in the morning, then later in the day they do their workouts and maybe 15 minutes more walking or biking. this elevates their metabolism more than once during the day and really contributes to calorie burn.

Good luck!

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle