Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Broken finger... need suggestions

jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/03/25, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I know... I'm posting in the wrong thread. However, you guys (those hardcore enough to dwell in the PL section) are the ones I want a response from.

I was playing basketball on Friday afternoon and jammed my finger going up for a rebound. I played on for a minute or so 'cause it didn't feel that bad. But when I looked down at my finger and it was sticking out at 45-degree angle. I jogged off the court and drove to a health clinic down the street. X-rays showed my 5th finger (pinky) on my right hand was broken in 3 places plus cartilage damage. I got a referral to see an orthopedic surgeon sometime this coming week. I obviously had to forego my back session on Friday.

I guess this is what I get for trying to incorporate some cardio in my training routine.

Now I need suggestions... Call me stupid, stubborn, or whatever you want but I'm gonna do everything in my power to train. I've worked too effin' hard and too effin' long to let something like this drag me down. I won't be able to stick to my current schedule so I need help with some modifications. Anything that involves gripping the bar is pretty much out for a while. My goal now is to concentrate on legs. I'll probably train legs 2x a week until my finger heals. I used to do a Westside routine a few years ago that had me doing heavy legs one day and lighter explosive box squats 3 or 4 days later (along with other accessory exercises, of course). I'm thinking of going back to that. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
2007/03/25, 01:09 AM
Alright: take cissus...twice or three times a day in 1g servings.....it will help speed up bone healing....and it will reduce inflammation....so if your finger has been pot in correct alignment and in a cast....u can start now

glucosamine/chondroitin+hyaluronic acid should be good for cartilage....MSM also might be a good idea...i take all 4 now....notice a big difference....

I say tape up that motherfu...to another finger....or if it's in a cast....use a strap for the week hand using the remainder of the fingers.....pinkie shouldnt hold u back too much...
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/03/25, 01:16 AM
Thanks menace. I'm going to an orthopedic surgeon this week. The breaks aren't exactly clean. In fact, the doc that looked at it said it had surgury written all over it. So, I'll probably have pins or screws or whatever the hell they do now. One way or another I'll overcome this...

--------------
--JBennett
2007/03/25, 01:26 AM
alright ...once they put a cast on it...I imagine it will be pinkie and maybe ring finger and wrist.....u can start training normally.......def go with cissus ....i have personally wintnessed miracles with it...and almost every1 i spoke with holds it in very high regard.....

ashwagandha might also be worth a try....
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/03/25, 02:53 PM
The thick bar will become your best friend for any pressing, if any at all, and I'd actually recommend straps (yes, I'm recommending straps) for pulling exercises.

Something I recommend a lot, is to plan to focus on legs for a few weeks, say 4-5, and then focus on upper body for 3-4 afterwards. If you can get in 3 lower body and 1 upper body, and then reverse that later on, you might be ok.

Also, those ankle strap things for cable attachments (http://www.stroops.com/images/products/anklestrap_tn.jpg) would be a real great idea.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2007/03/30, 12:58 AM
I appreciate the input...

Looks like it's gonna be all legs for me for at least a few weeks. Had surgery today on the finger and the doc said it was a mess in there. He said it was broken in 3 places, crushed, impacted into the bone below it, and rotated 45 degrees. I have 2 pins and a piece of a cadaver bone in my finger now. They wrapped my hand with so much gauze I can't even hold a fork or a toothbrush with it. I have to keep it on until April 12th. When I asked the Doc on Tuesday how long it would be until I was able to grip a barbell again, he said to give him 6 weeks. Looks like squats are my new best friend for a month or so?

--------------
--JBennett
2007/03/30, 02:21 AM
I would still do unilateral training....it will carry over a bit to the weaker side and prevent some of the atrophy. Yes you'll develop a bit of an imbalance but in 4-6 weeks it will be barely anything....pulldowns, loading pin+carabiner+rolling thunder(cable attachment handle), standing DB press/bent press, etc......