Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Chad Waterburys' Muscle Revolution Q's?

2007/03/07, 02:29 AM
I was wondering if anyone in here could give me some insite as to these questions i have about Waterbury's Muscle Revolution?:

I was wondering why he is an advocate towards using more carbs as opposed to protein? Everything i have read in his book, he starts nutrients out @ 33/33/33, then adjust after a 2 week phase, depending on how the person feels, but why more carbs then protein?

Why not more protein as opposed to carbs?

Another thing i wanted to ask is this, I have had 2 hernia surgeries (last one was last Feb, and my stomach hurts a lot doing situps and even cramps a bit from time to time. It is not pleasant)

how do i strengthen my abs without it hurting so bad?

and I had a shoulder surgery a few yrs ago,

do you feel it would benefit me more to start with like a 6-8 week linear periodization phase induction, (so my muscles can re-learn everything, since i have not been very consistent for the last 3-5 years,) then move onto a more undulating phase, and then onto his 1 year plan?

Or should i just start with Undulating or

the first workout routine of my goal from the Muscle Revolution book?

(goal= loose fat/gain strength and lean muscle mass)

Thanks !

J2048b
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/03/07, 01:29 PM
You should make your goals more specific. Plus that one isn't really attainable as you can't gain muscle mass while losing fat, it usually one or the other.

Give your self more measurable goals, like lose 5 lbs. of body fat in the next 8 weeks, or gain 5 lbs. of muscle by increasing this lift and that lift over the next 12 weeks.

Vague goals aren't measurable and thus how will you know when you have reached that goal?
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/03/07, 01:30 PM
Sorry that doesn't address any of your questions.
2007/03/07, 01:49 PM
Yup, thanks for the reply, But as you stated:

"Sorry that doesn't address any of your questions."

I know it is a vague goal it is based on HIS book and HIS 1 year workout plan.

So throughout the year i will attain those goals.

Thanks

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/03/07, 02:55 PM
If I'm not mistaken, chad is big on high frequency. I'd say start a regular total body routine, and work up to increasing the frequency.

Doing linear periodization and following it up with undulating periodization is still linear. And just as bad an idea.

Depends on the hernia, and I'm never comfortable answering medical questions without an MRI. Even then...

Chad uses high frequency programs, with a high level of total volume. You need carbohydrates as fuel to get you through these kind of workouts, whereas on a bodypart split your workouts will burn much less glycogen. Make sense? Besides that, 33/33/33 isn't that high in carbohydrates.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
2007/03/07, 06:32 PM
wrestler,
Thanks for the input and knowledge,
Yeah i do believe chad does a heck of a lot of high freq, excersizes,

A few months ago i asked if i should start with linear then move onto undulating and you said it sounded like a good plan, due to my injuries that i have accrued.

Why would it now be a bad idea ?

and with the 33/33/33, this is what chad uses as a starting point, he then evaluates after 2 weeks to look for fatique, sluggishness, and things that may be impairing a client?

he then starts to up their carbs a bit at a time, and i was wondering why he would always up their carbs and leave their protein relatively low or have a smaller protein to carb ratio?

I was wondering due to the fact that you, as a powerlifter, use more protein than carbs, correct?

why would you use more carbs then protein? Or what would the basis befor upping carbs or protein?

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/03/07, 10:23 PM
I think it's still linear periodization if you think of it, and the only reason I'd look into it if you come from a background of injuries is that at least you are building a base by starting with higher reps. Basically, it's not that I think linear is a good idea after an injury, but rather that working into lower reps is a good idea.

However, you state your goal as "loose fat/gain strength and lean muscle mass". Not to rehab injuries.

Also, what gives you the idea that I would take in more carbs than protein? Although for most people I advocate low carb diets in many instances, I am very carb tolerant and go higher carb. Besides that, carbohydrates are cheap, and eating 4-5kcals a day is no easy feat on a collegiate budget.

If someone is feeling sluggish, and their reps drop significantly from set to set, then I would up carbohydrate intake, if someone is feeling sluggish after eating, I would cut back on carbohydrates.

Easy way to tell what you should do is wake up and have a huge, sugary breakfast. See how you feel in a few hours. If you're drowsy, cut the carbs.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
2007/03/08, 02:09 AM
Wrestler,
Sorry man i thought you told me in another post that you ate a lot of protein in regards to carbs?

A question about your sugary breakfast?

wouldn't you feel sluggish due to the "sugar crash" you would receive in a few hours anyway?

I know i would crash after a lot of sugar, i usually do,

so in regards to the training, i am going to start with the 30/30/30 and after a few weeks see how i feel then i will gauge my next step with my calories,

how will i know if it is lack of carbs or protein though?

but with the fitness itself, i will do the linear for a few weeks then go to the undulating method, then onto the waterbury system he has outlined in his book, does that sound good?

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/03/08, 11:23 AM
============
Quoting from j2048b:

I know i would crash after a lot of sugar, i usually do,

=============

There is your answer. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I am very tolerant to carbohydrates. You however, obviously do, even when fasted, so that should tell you something.

I do eat a very high protein diet, but I can't and don't neglect carbs. I don't follow a strict diet, but if I'm cutting, I drop my carb intake, if not, then I don't worry about it so much.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
2007/03/08, 11:36 AM
GOOD point! So if i crash after a sugary b-fast i should know that carbs and i do not get along?

And i should probably start out with a bit more protein right?

thanks!