Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

teenagers diet

Jasmine93
Jasmine93
Australia
2007/03/05, 01:02 AM
hey does anyone no any good diets for teens that are fast and that work. I am 13 and I weigh about 144 pounds and i am 5'5", or 65 inches. that gives me a bmi of 24 which is in the overweight range. I really wanna lose about 15 pounds. All my friends are really skinny so i'm always classified as "the Big Girl":(
if you have any tips on excercise or diets that you recommend please tell me. i'd really appreciate it!
Luv Jasmine
TisForTipper
TisForTipper
United States
2007/05/14, 02:32 PM
i can't say much, since i just started.
but i suggest ready as much on this website as possible..
they give you specialized workouts to do at home. [:

--------------
Ten seconds left until midnight
nine chances to drown ourselves in black hair dye
eight faces turned away from the shock
seven windows and
six of them were locked
five stories falling
forever and ever
three cheers to the mirror
now there are two of us
can we have one last dance?
amyksmith76
amyksmith76
United States
2007/05/14, 03:06 PM
Jasmine, you can check previous posts here for diet and exercise tips. But, keep in mind that losing weight "fast" only ensures that it will come back, and probably plus some. You need to incorporate a healthy lifestyle with healthy food and exercise choices in order to set a healthy weight that will stick with you. Healthy weight loss is aprox. 2 lbs. per week. The main tips that I would suggest is making sure to eat 5-6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism running at peak performance, while incorporating a weight training and cardio exercise program a few times a week. The key here is HEALTHY, no starving yourself, or exercising excessive amounts every day. And, if it makes you feel any better, half of your "super skinny" friends who call you "the big girl" now, will most likely be much more than 15 lbs. overweight a few years after they graduate (if that helps you sleep at night. ;)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/05/24, 03:39 PM
Listen to amyksmith76 - 5-6 smaller meals a day (or 3 meals and 2 snacks if it helps to thinkof it that way).

So - when at school this can be a challenge - maybe a lowerfat ready to drink shake inbetween classes is the solution for the snack meals. Either EAS myoplex, or the newer type of slimfast with fiber in it..don't know te name.

Kids need more calories than adults to grow and be healthy - check myfoodpyramid.gov ( I hope that is right, google the new food pyramid if it isn't) and look up your calorie needs, then plan a healthy diet with a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, lots of complex, whole grain carbohydrates and lean proteins - check out the grocery list for healthy eating in the nutrition forum for good choices in all categories.

Create a deficit by exercising - moderate intensity cardiovascular work and some resistance training to help build strong muscles and bones.
the cardiovascualr work should be things you enjoy - biking, rollerblading, hiking, soccer, volleyball, anything that gets you moving for half an hour or longer every day. Even brisk walking, which is a great way for the family to exercise together and catch up on each other's day.

Good luck and be assured, your bodies are still changing, you have plenty of time to create a healthier physique - focus on building a healthy lifestyle and a healthy physique will follow.

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

firehouse
firehouse
United States
2007/05/24, 02:15 PM
my daughter is also a 13 year old and is classed as a BIG GIRL. all of her friends are also skinny. She has tried to lose all of her weight. Her main problem is in her stomach. She is eating right and exercising everyday. She even joined a program called V.E.R.B. AT SCHOOL. She lost at least 3 lbs., but that is all. If any body has any suggestions i would really appreciate it.
bigeriel07
bigeriel07
United States
2007/08/14, 01:53 PM
Hi my name is eriel AND i JUST STARTED THIS PROGRAM. I am 14 and weigh 218. I really need some help Sometimes I feel so unwanted and mistreated by my family. And i really want to ake them proud and if someone can help me On this site to loose 50 pounds i would really like. I have also been diagnosed with diabetes and i am sop depressed can some one give me meals or something? I really need help?:surprised:
slorbets
slorbets
Canada
2007/08/14, 05:28 PM
bigerie- As mentioned above, a clean diet and exercise is key to loosing weight. Talk to your parents about your goals and let them know you are trying to eat healthy. This way maybe they will make healthier food choices when grocery shopping. Also watch your portion sizes (5-6 small meals a day). Take a look at some of the other posts, they are very helpful.

Good luck!
orca722
orca722
United States
2008/06/28, 10:40 AM
actually Jasmine a 24 Bmi is in the normal weight range, granted on the higher end of it. I don't think you need to loose alot of weight and your goal of 15 pounds is great.
since you don't need to loose a drastic amount of weight you don't need a srict diet or to be counting colories.

Ok some tips i've found that helped me were...
1. no soda, but if you must drink it go for diet
2.eat breakfast. I'm not really a breakfast person, but eating it jup starts your metabolism so you burn more calories the rest of the day.(one of my friends lost 20 pounds just by eating breakfast)
3.limit junk food(for me I pick one day a week that I can have a desert or junk food)
4. add just an extra 20 min. of exercise to your day, even if you already work out.
5. don't compare yourself to your firends. I know its hard. I have one friend who is so skinny, but eats crap all day long, and another friend who is drop dead gorgous and never has to work out. I know its sound cliche, but we are all diffrent and our bodies just don't all work the same.