Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

ADVICE: 5 x 5 Program Questions

Australia
2007/02/28, 06:27 PM
Dear Readers,

I have been doing the 5 x 5 split for 5 weeks now approx. and I have seen significant increases in my lifts overall. I was wondering however if i include a 4th day of workout for t-bar rows and abdominal work will that be detrimental to my gains? I do 3 days Mon, wed and Fri and do squats, bench, barbells rows on both mon and fri with one bicep exercise with 4 sets on monday and one tricept excercise of 4 sets on Friday, Wednesday is deadlifts, military press, Pullups, Rowing Machine weights and standing clave raise. Now if i was to do a T-Bar row workout on the Tuesday and workout the abdominals as well will i risk overtraining? I am worried that my back will be sore for the next day with dealifts and may cause damage or that It will send me backwards, would this be the case? I was thinking of a 4 set x 8 rep spit for the t-bar rows. Also for the abdomianls is working them for 25 - 30 mins one day a week sufficient to sustain hard ripped abs, I already have good abdominals and was focused on maintaing or if not slightly increasing them would there need to be more work put in or should this sutain them with the other compund exercises helping to maintian them also? Also another question recently as of the last 2 weeks I have, after doing the 5 reps of 5 in my program attempted my approx one rep max. Is this recommeneded? I have increased each time either the weight or the reps and I find that its working for me, should i continue this?
Any information will be well appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Robert Murphy
2007/03/01, 04:28 AM
No and No

If you choose to follow a particular program like 5x5 then stick to it. Doesnt sound like you have the experience or understanding to modify a program so I would leave it alone.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/03/01, 09:02 AM
Don't post the same question in different forums. Stick to one, this one should stick in general or intermediate weight training, not much to do with powerlifting.
2007/03/01, 09:15 AM
5x5 is a routine that actually crosses over into many types of strength training....anything from bodybuilding to powerlifting, strongman, or modified for specific athletic functions....there are many variations of this program as well....