Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Runner's Advice

ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/05/24, 01:07 PM
You could try mixing up sprints with jogs, I know my old track coach had our sprinters do that sometimes. For instance on a regular sized track sprint the straight aways (100m) and then relax into a jog for the turns (100m). Try doing that for 2 -3 laps, then walk a lap or two and then do it again.

That may help you build up your endurance while still keeping with the sprint mentality that you need. Also you could try pacing yourself at the beginning in order to stay strong for later.
willowann
willowann
Canada
2007/05/24, 11:35 AM
I have to complete level 6.5 on a shuttle run. For those who don't know what that is it is a 20 meter distance and you have to run back and forth to a timed beat which gradually gets faster. You have to reach each end line before the beat.

So I have been training for months and can only get to level 4 most times a few times to level 5.5. I can't figure out what is preventing me from moving forward.

When I am at levels 4-5 it seems like I am sprinting and don't have anything more to give. How do I train to push my body more? The people who can make it to 6.5 seem to be quite calm when running.
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2007/06/05, 08:40 AM
sounds like sprint training. Squats and Deadlifts can help you as well as running up hill or stairs.
dart368
dart368
United States
2007/06/22, 01:35 AM
I have a 1/2 mile obstacle course coming up and consulted an 880 yard track runner for advice. I told him that I was running 440 and 880 yard sprint intervals. He asked if I was pooping out towards the end of the sprints and I said yes. He told me that it would be better to do 220 yard sprints for 8-10 reps which would force my body to run at about 95% effort for the entire distance. Then, to slow jog 1 lap for recovery. Him and a marathon runner (Both of which worked in the running shoe store that I was visiting) told me that my "O" course time's would improve by doing this two times a week coupled with 1 time a week of a moderate 5 mile run which I also do.

So now that I have wrote this, I read what ecle5c wrote and that is what I started out doing (Straights and turns) which is a good idea. Also, gangstershoes has some good advice and I mix in hills about once every 3 weeks as well. Good luck and I am sure if you do these things, you will definately improve.