Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Exercise Benifits and Depression....

Emeliz
Emeliz
United States
2007/02/12, 04:44 PM
Hello everyone, I've been wanting for awhile now to lose the extra weight I gained from my pregnancy. Well my daughter's a year old now and I still haven't lost the weight so i figured I better get my butt in gear and look for help seeing as I couldn't seem to do it on my own. I've tried many programs on my own which didn't work and during my search for a good support system I also found out a lot about the benefits of exercise -besides- just weight loss. For years I've had clinical depression and after the baby I got bad post partum depression and I knew it didn't help my chances of weight loss, what I didn't know was that losing weight can actually help kill depression! I've been on depression medication before and it only made it worse, but since I've been exercising a lot more I have noticed a great deal of a better attitude in myself and I'm loving it! Exercise takes a lot of patience, energy, and motivation. I've always hated exercising because I didn't want to start and feel sore and tired but I learned if it's done right the pain doesn't last long and the benefits overweigh the annoyingness by far lol! So if you really feel 'blah' about exercising and need a little motivation I think you should read this artical --> http://www.webmd.com/content/article/45/1663_51226.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

I've learned a lot from it and it has helped motivate me to try harder in my efforts to be healthier and stay healthier physicaly -and- mentally! I hope you find the article as interesting as I have. Take care all! Ciao' =)
~Em~ :love:
Emeliz
Emeliz
United States
2007/02/12, 06:45 PM
btw, copy and paste the link into your browser to view. :)

--------------
Motivation\'s not a fantasy,
or very hard to find...
Looking to others is the key,
And giving back is kind.
So motivate another,
when they fail or start to lack...
And when they hit their goal,
They just may motivate you back! ;)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/02/13, 11:43 AM
HI Em! Thanks for the great post - we often need to be reminded that the benefits of exercise are not just appearance related!
This has been discussed a lot here - that exercise and proper diet have been shown to be as effective as Prozac for treating depression.

I know, personally, that when I regulate my food and exercise correctly - it regulates my moods!

--------------

Within each of us lies the power of our consent to health and sickness, to riches and poverty, to freedom and to slavery. It is we who control these, and not another.

Richard Bach
Emeliz
Emeliz
United States
2007/02/15, 12:28 PM
yes very true... I was actually put on Zoloft for awhile and it did not help at all, just made it worse. I found exercise to be a big help in a lot of things I was dealing with; it's helped my depression, energy, appearance, everything! I found it's a lot easier to keep up with my one year old daughter now and still have energy to burn. I haven't lost any weight yet since I just started but I definitely can tell it's working and just having the better mood makes me care less about the weight and just want to exercise for the other benefits lol. Being that I've been in a better mood and feel better is definitely showing, I keep getting compliments on how much less worn out I look and everyone keeps asking if I'm pregnant again because I'm glowing like I was then lol. Thanks for the reply!

I'm sorry for the extra Topic starter =S I should have looked before I started it, I'll be sure to look before starting new ones in the future. =) Take care!
~Em~ :love:

--------------
Motivation\'s not a fantasy,
or very hard to find...
Looking to others is the key,
And giving back is kind.
So motivate another,
when they fail or start to lack...
And when they hit their goal,
They just may motivate you back! ;)