Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Difference between front squat and back

elpea120
elpea120
United States
2007/02/07, 06:08 PM
What does front squat do that back squat doesnt, just curious.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2007/02/07, 09:13 PM
Front is more for the quads and depending on how you do the back it should be more for the glutes, hams and lower back but you must sit back good for this.

If your in a narrow stance in the back squat your knees will be slightly over your toes and put more on the quads but if you sit back further in a wider stance you'll hit more of the glutes, hams and lower back.

I haven't done Front's but they are for hitting the quads really good and I don't do narrow in Back squats because I use a lunge or Bulgarian to really hit my quads but I do know for sure wide stance and sitting back more hits it all for me but more so on glutes, hams and lower back but it does hit the quads too.

Now if you really want to hit glutes, hams and lower back even harder then it's the Box Squat you want to do. The box squat will work allot more on explosiveness and teach your body to use it's natural arc.

I like to go 5 week Back Squats and then 5 Box Squat and a lunge type or Bulgarian Squat after.

--------------
Knock-Um Down & Keep-Um Down!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/02/08, 10:55 AM
Get out o the mind set that one does something the other doesn't. It is just a variation to be used with training. It is more quad dominant, and many people find it easier to do to proper depth since there isn't as much of a flexibility component.

Also, a front squat is tougher to screw up. If your form breaks down, you dump the weight because you can't hold onto it with good form.

I like to use front squats whenever I need to give my posterior chain a break, or when I'm training for weighlifting (vs powerlifting or strongman).

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/02/08, 06:13 PM
Front squat as stated make you squat properly, for me when I front squat I can hit way below parallel dunno if the weight balances my large butt or what, but I can go alot deeper.

I also feel it more in my back or as some like to use the word "core"...whatever it be, I feel it alot in my back erectors and trunk.

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

Don't talk to me, only thing that should be moving is the bar.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/02/08, 08:46 PM
You get deeper because you are more upright, which puts less of a stretch on your adductors (glutes) and hip flexors.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
2007/02/08, 11:30 PM
Yep. I started doing Wide stance front squats on a box....it has really improved my squat form....just like that eliminated my leaning and other problems....granted i am using considerably lighter weight but nevertheless....