Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

What is max effort ?

elpea120
elpea120
United States
2007/01/29, 08:05 AM
I have heard the term "max effort" alot, and im not 100% sure what it means. I saw some "max effort" day workouts and the idea i have got is that it is building up to doing something above your previous one rep max, am i right?
adalos
adalos
United States
2007/01/29, 01:50 PM
it's using assistive exercises to directly increase your main lift. you work up to a 1rm with these assistive exercises, usually starting with sets of 3 reps, and as you gradually add weight, dropping down to 1 rep each set until you hit your max. but again, these are on assistive exercises. things like floor presses, board presses, box squats, good mornings, incorperating the use of chains/bands, etc.

did that make sense?
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/01/29, 01:50 PM
Max effort is just what it sounds like, your maximum effort. Most routines refer to working up to a one repetition maximum of a particular exercise. You should strive to lift heavier each time, but depending on the circumstances you may not be able to.

You can do ME workouts without doing one rep max though, it can vary depending on your training schedule, the important thing is lifting with 100% effort.
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/01/29, 02:34 PM
Incorporating the use of chains and band is usually a parameter of a dynamic effort. The idea is to teach you to accelerate for the duration of the lift in an effort to increase speed. If you can lift fast with more acceleration then you can apply more force to the lift.

Also, max efforts do not only apply to assistive exercises. Assistive exercises simply offer more exercise options for max effort attempts. More often then not, a max effort involves ramping weights starting light with 3 ? 5 reps and going heavy for 1 rep with goal of at least 3 lifts at 90%+ of your 1 RM . There are a few stickies from gatormade in this section that can provide more incite. There is also an article on t-nation.com that more thoroughly discusses the benefits of lifting at +90%. Sorry, I can remember who wrote it or what the title was, but I think that 90% was in the title, so do a search on that.

In my opinion, max effort exercise should not be performed by beginners unless a more experienced lifter or a good spotter is present. There is an element of risk involved in going for a 1 RM including trying too much weight and form break down that could result in injury
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/01/29, 03:39 PM
============
Quoting from adalos:

it's using assistive exercises to directly increase your main lift. you work up to a 1rm with these assistive exercises, usually starting with sets of 3 reps, and as you gradually add weight, dropping down to 1 rep each set until you hit your max. but again, these are on assistive exercises. things like floor presses, board presses, box squats, good mornings, incorperating the use of chains/bands, etc.

did that make sense?
=============

No, it doesn't make sense, because max effort is traditionally done with your MAX EFFORT movement, your primary movement. An assistance lift is a lift that does not resemble the competition lift and is instead aimed at strengthening the muscles used (such as a dip, leg press, or glute ham raise).

An example of max effort lifting would be...

Olympic squat (315lb max)
45*20
95*5
135*3
185*3
225*3
275*3
285*3 (3 rm max at 90%+)
300*1
310*1
320*1 (New 1rm PR).

I like to work up to a 3rm, then switch to singles when doing powerlifting, or a 5rm and 3rm when trainin for strongman. The point is, you are using HEAVY weight, and getting at least 3 lifts at 90%+.

While these are guidelines, you should get the idea. You would then move onto a supplementary lift for higher repetitions (4-10) and an assisstance lifts after that (6-20 repetitions, repetitive effort).

Chains can be used for max effort work, and are commonly. I like some form of accomidating resistance when I box squat, but I ALWAYS use it when doing dynamic effort.

And I do agree with PEMDAS... I'm a firm believer that if you don't understand something, you can't apply it. Now I'm glad you are asking questions, but judging by your age and the simple explanation you gave in your profile, this may not be something you have to use.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/01/29, 04:54 PM
yeah...just to clarify...when i said assistive...i meant some variation of the main lift...i.e. board press instead of regular bench or box squat instead of back squat. a better word would have been alternative.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/01/29, 05:27 PM
Max effort variations.
elpea120
elpea120
United States
2007/01/29, 09:46 PM
what is board press

Pemdas
Pemdas
United States
2007/01/30, 08:58 AM
It is when you put a board on chest basically reducing your range of motion for a bench press. It is used to train your lockout. It is important because when most people fail, it is in the lock out portion of the lift. Variations include using more than one board.