Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

fat distribution, esp. upper arms

Kalanchoe
Kalanchoe
United Kingdom
2007/01/24, 06:14 PM
Hi, i was wondering, are we genetically predisposed to store fat in certain areas no matter what we do? I'm especially referring to my upper arms, although if anyone can shed light on fat distribuion in general it would be useful. i am fully aware that there is no such thing as spot reducing fat and that it comes off or goes onto your whole body, but no matter how fit i am (and my fitness goes up and down over the years) i cannot achieve the arms i want.

there have been times when you could hardly pinch fat anywhere on my body exept my upper arms, and believe me, i worked them hard! I'm short, 5 foot, maybe this has something to do with it? I want to lose that conical shape they have.

--------------
*each to their own*
*The revolution's just a t-shirt away!*
*There is no first strike in karate*
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/01/24, 08:30 PM
Yes, I believe we are. This is realized by different folks you talk to, each having different 'problem' areas.

Males have their predominant areas as do females from a general point of view, but after that we all have certain 'problem' areas.

When you have a problem area as you speak of, you can lose the fat there but it will normally take giving up alot of muscle, basically getting skinny to swimming meet type levels if you know what I mean. Most are and probably should be reluctant to do this unless involved in a photo shoot or contest type endeavor.

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."