Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Just Wondering...

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/01/09, 03:36 PM
My body is (and would obviously be) something that I pay a lot of attention to. I've never had a huge injury that took all kinds of rehab, but I've had a lot of annoying, more-minor ones associated with tendons (overuse, etc.) amongst other problems.

Anyways, since I do a lot of walking, hill climbing, and stair climbing (school and work), I definitely have my share of aches and pains on the occasion. My achilles and patellar tendons and (rarely) hips give me minor troubles. I always pay a lot of attention to the mechanics of my walking up hills/stairs and adjust to see if I can get rid of the pain. I always figured that while going up stairs, I should put my weight on my heels until the step up, but I have noticed that when I put my weight on the balls of my feet, my knees feel much better.

Today, I was finding where my classes are going to be this semester, and since I've read some stuff lately on the shins traveling forward (Poliquin Box Squat) debate, I realized something else while going up/down a lot of stairs: When my shins travel forward, and I keep the weight on the balls of my feet, there is no sign of even minor discomfort or pain.

The reason I am confused: I have always been told that putting weight on the balls of your feet is stressful on the patellar tendon, but yet the knee pain goes away when I do this. This kind of movement (on balls of feet and with shins traveling forward) is very different from the proper squat technique.

Anyone have any clues?

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/01/09, 04:32 PM
Where is the pain? You may have a very tight achilles, or be tight overall in your posterior chain, which would put stress on your tendons in a streched position. Since your posterior chain is not as stretched or activated in this position, it might make sense that it would hurt less. However, if it is indeed your patellar tendon, then I'm not positive.

hmmmm. Give me some time to think about this, if I can't figure it out, I'll get in contact with Bill Hartman.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/01/10, 06:43 PM
I definitely have very tight hamstrings...Never been able to touch my toes. I'm not sure how you would rate my hip flexibility.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt