Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Bottled water

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/12/24, 12:57 PM
Many of you on the boards for a while know I have am not fond of the bottled water industry, truly believe it hype and a money maker, no better than tap water. Well, here is some 'evidence' that may back me up...

Many Americans these days drink more bottled water than they do tap, either for convenience, or often, because they believe bottled water is more pure, and safer, than the regular tap variety. This may not be true!

While bottled water is regulated by the FDA to ensure it is pure, water that is packaged and sold in the same state is exempt from these strict regulations – and over 65% of all water sold fits in this category. That means that 65% of all bottled water is not regulated.

Tap water, however, is regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) across the board, and is regularly tested for parasites and E. coli bacteria. This means that across the country, all tap water stands up to the same strict guidelines. And, if you are skeptical about the purity of your tap water, you can request a quality report about it from the EPA.

--------------
\"If it ain\'t broke, you aren\'t trying.\"

buffedstuff
buffedstuff
United States
2006/12/26, 12:59 AM
oh gosh if I had to drink our local tap water, it would not happen that stuff if nasty. Whether its regulated or now give me crystal geyser or arrowhead anyday.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/12/26, 01:53 AM
I've been with you all along I have never stopped drinking from my faucet and never buy water bottled unless I'm not home and I can't find a water dispenser near by.

I also believe that it's better on your body and immune, I believe the body is better off adapted to it's local water source!

Bottled water is one of them things you never stop kicking yourself in the ass saying WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT.:angry:

Hey bro lets bottle air!:big_smile:
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/12/26, 11:57 AM
No regulations at al here in Qubec. Any one can bottle thier own tap water and call it what ever they want!

Like MVP I use it only when out, and buy it when it is on sale under 0.13/bottle. We do have a filter system in our plumbing which helps a great deal on preventing gastro problems with the wife.

--------------
A little discipline at the table and at the gym might help reduce that belly!

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/12/26, 12:20 PM
Nothing wrong with a filtration system. In fact may be well recommended. Makes me think of a funny story about a guy selling them though....his sales pitch???

I had a guy selling filtration systems once approach me. He said do this test...if you have a dog, fill one bowl with the water using the filtration system, the other plain tap. See which he drinks!

I had to just laugh, my dog would rather drink out of the toilet than anywhere.

--------------
\"If it ain\'t broke, you aren\'t trying.\"

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/12/26, 04:08 PM
Especially in the summer. It's always cooler. Imagine if the board fell on the dog! Yikes.

--------------

Ivan

Ravenbeauty
Ravenbeauty
United States
2006/12/30, 06:17 PM
Can you believe that Sly Stallone has come out with his own bottled drinking water??? Sly Glacier Water, taken right here out of our famous Mt. Rainier. What are the differences between glacier water and other bottled waters?

--------------
Bettia

To be motivated, motivate others!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/12/30, 06:47 PM
The price:big_smile:

--------------

Ivan

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2007/01/01, 01:47 PM
Yeah, he goes there every day and bottles them single handedly, one bottle at a time. :)

============
Quoting from ravenbeauty:

Can you believe that Sly Stallone has come out with his own bottled drinking water??? Sly Glacier Water, taken right here out of our famous Mt. Rainier. What are the differences between glacier water and other bottled waters?

=============

--------------
"If it ain't broke, you aren't trying."

sstump1
sstump1
United States
2007/01/04, 11:44 AM
I made sure to get in the habit of drinking tap water (filtered at least) a few years ago when I first appeared on here. Actually I get kind of a kick out of it...people say how can you drink that stuff it tastes nasty. Then they take a drink off of they're bottled Diet Soda...I just say at least I can see what I'm drinking.

I can't speak for the rest of the world...however if you ever find yourself in North Texas (Dallas-Fort Worth area) take a look at a bottle of Ozarka...they apparently have to post where the water is from. You would think this means it would give you the location of a remote stream that you could travel to and find sparkling clear water and drink it by hand and say "AHHHHHH...so refreshing". Well apparently not...it says on the label "Bottled from the Fort Worth Water supply"...so it's Tap water in a bottle with a hefty markup.

I saw this a few years back and can't find anything about it now...so I'll have to go by and pick me up a bottle to see if this is still the case.

Otherwise I buy the 1 Liter big mouth Aquafina bottle and use 1 for about a week or 2, just refilling it with tap water and then buy a new one. Saves on cups and has a lid, so I can take it anywhere.
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2007/01/04, 11:50 AM
Perfect example right here...cept a little further down south.

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2006/04/do_you_buy_bott_1.html
shaunbroyhill
shaunbroyhill
United States
2007/01/04, 11:51 AM
I buy the bottled water just for the bottles so I can refill them and use them when I work out.... just something kind of cool about the KOSS shampoo style bottles that I like! The $2.00 for a bottle I can reuse for just about forever is much better than going to the store and paying $15.00 for a regular bottle :)
2007/01/08, 01:31 PM
BB1 i recently saw something on the news about bottled water being bad. It was sparkletts (sp?) A woman received a 5 gallon jug and there was black stuff on the bottom of the bottle, she thought it was actually on the jug itself, but it turned out to be on the inside and she got really sick and she may have sued them.

But they actually stated that the bottled water does not get inspected as much as normal tap water due to once it is bottled it just sitts there,

we just canceled our sparkletts subscription and now use tap/ filtered water from the fridge!!!

BIGKATT
BIGKATT
United States
2007/01/09, 10:54 PM
Good info...But I'll stick with the bottled water. Our water here tastes like ...who knows what...So, I prefer the bottled water anyday.

--------------
Either You Worked Out Today or You Didn\'t
christal086
christal086
Australia
2007/01/10, 03:04 AM
i just boil the kettle with the water if it looks a little nasty then bottle and chill in the fridge i just grab a bottle as i'm going always have one on me that way i drink it and lots.