Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

How do you use your Rest Week?

SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/12/19, 08:25 PM
For me I go a 10 week lifting cycle and then take 1 week off.

During that week doesn't mean I'm not at the gym, Oh no I'm there all right doing cardio 4 to 5 of the days even if it's just to sit and pedal and of course this is the time where I must stay on top of my flexibility!

1 thing I do that most tell me they don't is I cut my calories back, say if I'm at 2400 on my lifting weeks on rest week I'm at 2150 to 2200. I feel I don't need to eat the same because I'm exerting less actually allot less.

I even hear it from staff at the gym, you might spike up a bit on rest week but you'll come in and burn it off, well I don't!

Anyway to sum it up, for me a rest week means no lifting it does not mean in anyway what so ever to STOP doing something. For me to stop doing everything means VACATION or INJURY!

Well thats how my last few rest weeks went, how about yours?
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/12/20, 08:56 AM
I think that a rest week cardio is ok, but i really rest. I am active to apoint, not just sitting I mean with 2 kids, a house, 5 dogs and 4 cats who is resting? But as for cutting cals I am not so sure. We build muscle and repair injuries, some that you may not know are there, by reting and eating. I am not saying pig out but maintaining what you normally eat should not hurt.

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

Warning:Deadlifting going on!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/20, 12:38 PM
I monitor my waking heart rate and how I feel. If my heart rate goes up 10% over average or if I start to feel run down, lose motivation, etc., then I take a deload week. This comes out to about every 4-5 weeks.

I usually do about 2/3 the volume and 3/4 the intensity I would normally do during this time. I also drop any extra activity during that period. Climbing, soccer, boxing, etc all have to go.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/12/20, 01:30 PM
Yeah Wrestler...I am hooked continually to an EKG, blood pressure monitor, all vital signs...if anything moves at all, then I deload.

Hogwash....I rest.

============
Quoting from wrestler125:

I monitor my waking heart rate and how I feel. If my heart rate goes up 10% over average or if I start to feel run down, lose motivation, etc., then I take a deload week. This comes out to about every 4-5 weeks.

I usually do about 2/3 the volume and 3/4 the intensity I would normally do during this time. I also drop any extra activity during that period. Climbing, soccer, boxing, etc all have to go.

=============

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/12/20, 04:10 PM
:)

Just that..thats why it is a rest period. I rest and give the body a bit of a break.Any activity is just a recreational sport. And of course, "hooked up to an HR machine at all times". If it goes to high I pop an Inderal!

--------------
A little discipline at the table and at the gym might help reduce that belly!

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/12/20, 05:29 PM
So I guess I should lay off the cardio too!

I can live with that because I have started to hate Cardio, my lifting comes 1st and has been so intense that it can get real hard to do cardio the next day when all you want to do is rest!

But I do think cutting the calories back are essential because of less exertion through out the week. I'm not talking huge diet cut backs but a tad off plus I was over maintenance for the last 2 or 3 week during the cycle but again not by a huge amount.

I'm a firm believer at this point of a zig zig intake and I'm liking what BB1 had said in another thread about 6 meals a day at 3 hour times being DOGMA and find it better at this point to eat as I got through they day as needed, meaning each time I eat doesn't have to be a high intake meal but to eat wise enough and frequent enough to hit you daily intake and macro's at the end of the day.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/12/20, 05:33 PM
Actually I was going to reply to your first post SFG, but didn't. I know it makes 'sense' in the fact that you are not as active, that a reduction in calories is warranted. But, if you are trying to gain mass, staying a bit hypercaloric is probably the way to go. Some research shows protein synthesis actually peaks at around 48 hrs. (depending on who you read). But regardless, even though you are less active, your metabolism is not goind to dive in a week, and those nutrients can be well utilized. You should notice some decent strength gains upon going back.

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/20, 08:55 PM
It's as simple as checking your pulse when you wake up. Tell me you know how to do that without an EKG...

It's not something I think is mandatory, just something I am experimenting with. I'm not saying you should do it, but I like experimenting with my body to see what is effective.

Of course, in your old age, an EKG might be warranted :-P :laugh:

--------------
Iron and chalk.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/12/20, 09:05 PM
You can only hope to be in the shape I am in when you are half my age. :)

--------------
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/20, 10:29 PM
I can only hope to actually live to be half your age :)

All jokes aside I have to give major respect out.

As for taking my heart rate, it takes me usually 20-30 seconds in the morning, and is usually almost exactly 48bpm. It's just a suggestion for anyone who prefers something concrete.

Granted I also manipulate this based on competition. I didn't deload prior to nationals, instead took the entire week off. Like you mentioned in my log, it must've been the right thing, because I won. So no, this isn't the only indicator I use, and no I'm not hooked up to an EKG (although I do have a regular diagnostic screening).

--------------
Iron and chalk.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/12/22, 05:50 PM
Well I have taken the advice to rest and my body relay thats you all because even cardio on Monday and Tuesday was really rough on me and here it is Friday and my body feel so much more looser and my mind is allot clearer.

Although I still stretch twice a day I have put everything else to rest!

As far as calories go, I was over maintanence before rest week and didn't like the direction the fat% was going so I backed off a tad but keeping Protien up at 225 to 250 which is well above my 1 x bodyweight but below 1.5 x.

I still feel the gains I made and can't wait to hit the weights this coming week for a new 10 week cycle!