Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Squatting and Leaning Forward

Firehawk734
Firehawk734
United States
2006/12/15, 03:18 PM
I recently searched google and the thread with Wrestler helping menace out came up and I was wondering if I could get similar help. I may have the exact same problems Menace had.

I dont know why, but for some reason, over the last year, I have progressively leaned forward more and more and the weight that I am doing this at has gone down more and more. I don't really understand it. I was up to a 385 parallel squat which I was not leaning forward but now I do, I'd say when I'm about 2/3 of the way down i start leaning instead of allowing my butt to keep dropping. I am doing this now with 135 on my back and it is irritating.

I was up to pulling 500 and then i started using equipment, like briefs and a squat suit on squatting and got away from the raw work for awhile. Maybe that did it?

Keep in mind, I've been trying to lose fat too the whole time so I haven't really gotten much stronger, but have leaned out. I'm 270 6'3 28 yrs old.

I had Femoral hernia surgery also about 7 weeks ago and was off from working out for a total of 10 weeks. I have returned for the last 2 weeks and noticed that I lean with 135 on my back, but before i ended up with a hernia, I was doing the leaning with around 225 on my back. It is very annoying and I swear to God I am about to quit squatting I'm so frustrated (probably the worst thing I can do).

I am wondering, is it a weakness, is it form? I wonder if it is because my back is so much stronger than my legs. It always has been. I was pulling 500 and my squat was around 350 when I had achieved it.

I also wonder if maybe I have tight glutes, or if it is just weak abs that I need to fix. Obviously my abs are weakened now from the surgery.

I appreciate any help.
2006/12/15, 04:55 PM
Haha I cn definitely relate...I dont know if I can still squat 350 but I can deadlift at least 650....so definitely know all about huge squat/deadlift disparity...

I think it may be that your core/abs are weak. You may want to start doing heavy AB work....I started doing standing crunches with rope attachment on pulldown station....been working so far...

Another issue is your hips could be piss weak... that was and still is my issue....when I sit back the way you're supposed to I have no strength going up....

So #1 go wider stance....#2 sit back more...like I said in one post try to sit back a little bit go down about halfway down and then try to sit back as much as you can on top of that....while still staying upright with your back....#3 train your abs heavy...3-5 RM(perhaps with your hernia do more sets of 20 rm.....volume approach basically).....

also you said you have a hernia so be careful with your training. I am guessing it is in large part responsible for your current troubles....it probably significantly decreased your core strength..and you are more likely to have a reoccurrence of it....

i think post-hernia it's best to get a consultation with a good sports science doctor....I can tell you very generally the things you can do but whether you should do them is a whole different story...

Firehawk734
Firehawk734
United States
2006/12/15, 05:06 PM
The doc deals with lots of strength athletes and told me to basically listen to my body. I think I'm healed up pretty good now, just trying to increase on everything and get back to where I was. I thank you for the help.

Generally I sit back nicely but like I said, about 2/3 the way down i start wanting to lean forward instead of my ass still going down. I could have weak hips, and it probably is the weak core now more than ever.

It just sucks man. I hate it. I never liked squats, always thought they were a pain in the ass. I'm tall, and i have long arms which virtually maeks me a good deadlifter and that's about it.

I do compete though in PL.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/12/15, 05:22 PM
I found I was missing somthing, I found doing hanging rev crunches.....really benificial...for my back issue. Making sure to rot the hips upward.

Also good mornings too

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/15, 05:30 PM
You said something that really strikes a cord with me. You compete.

Strength sports aren't like other sports. When you are going for a big attempt, the people you are competing against are screaming for you to make it. People in powerlifting are more than helpful in every instance I have witnessed.

At your next meet, talk to people. You don't even have to go to compete, just put on some shoes, and while others are warming up, look for someone that isn't warming up and ask them for some help.

This will be better than any advice we can give you, not because they know more, but because we can't see you squat.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
Firehawk734
Firehawk734
United States
2006/12/16, 11:03 AM
Well I do train at a Powerlifting gym but I was just posting around to get other advice. I have done 3 meets and all have been raw. I started to get into the equipment side but that is when I sprang the hernia.

What are some things I could do where I could squat, but am forced to take the back out of it? I was thinking about overhead squats.

I get yelled at alot while i'm squatting in the crew to keep my arch. Sometimes I lose that as well. I find when I put my belt on, the same weight i started leaning on, i no longer do, until i increase the weight. I wonder if that may be a sign of something? Maybe just a weak core or weak hips? Today i squatted 2 1/2 shoulder wide stance. I was just looking around for other suggestions is all.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/16, 01:40 PM
Front squats, but they are very quad dominant. Your best bet for strengthening your hips without being limited by back strength is stiff legged dls.

If you are having problems with keeping your arch, you are most likely tight in the hips, most likely the glutes.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
Firehawk734
Firehawk734
United States
2006/12/16, 02:43 PM
How can I fix that Wrestler? How can I become less tight in the hips/glutes?

Also, what exercises can I do that put me in a squat situation but force me to use my legs and take my back out of the equation? IS there anything?
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/12/16, 03:31 PM
You may have to google it but I stretch 2 times a day every day and the #1 Glute stretch I do is called a Piriforms stretch, there are several forum of the stretch but I like the best as you lie on your back put 1 ankle on other knee and pull the leg towards your chest!

Hypers, GM's and DL's will also help stretch and keep you flexible but IMO you must strecht also.
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/12/16, 03:37 PM
http://jaxmed.com/massage/pirformis_stretches.htm

Trust me the tennis ball reall works GREAT!
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/16, 06:28 PM
read my message.

============
Quoting from Firehawk734:

Also, what exercises can I do that put me in a squat situation but force me to use my legs and take my back out of the equation? IS there anything?
=============

--------------
Iron and chalk.
2006/12/16, 06:58 PM
try sumo deadlifts...
Firehawk734
Firehawk734
United States
2006/12/17, 01:03 AM
Thanks.