Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Program design

gatormade
gatormade
United States
2006/12/12, 02:42 PM
This is how I set my workouts up for athletes:

1. Movement prep - General blood flow and dynamic flexibility
2. Prehab - light work on injury prone areas
3. Movements skills - 1 or 2 skills pertinent to their sport
4. Power training - Olympics or speed work w/weight
5. Strength - Traditional strength movements
6. Auxiliary/Trunk - assistance type exercises used to make their bodies better in weak areas.
7. Recovery work
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2006/12/12, 08:52 PM
Are you saying you have them do this every workout, or does the structure change periodically?

What kind of person would you recommend this workout style for besides specifically college athletes?
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2006/12/12, 09:59 PM
It's a template. It can be applied to a 2-6 day training split. The prehab they do is related to what they are training. If we do lower body then we will do hip, knee, & ankle prehab. If upper, then shoulder prehab. Power training for upper body might be speed bench and zero Olympics. This is just a general template that I use to organize a specific workout.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/13, 11:16 AM
I apply something similar to eevry workout.

I usually start with something either a walk (lower) or movement prep (upper).
I'll then do some mobility drills and maybe some light external rotations (upper)
Then comes any technical or olympic lifting, followed by other speed or DE work.
Then comes another big movement, followed by unilateral work or isolation work.
Trunk work (or core as many people seem prone to terming) comes at the end.

Now this isn't to say I do olympic lifts everyday, or any other part of this template. However, if I am doing something, it needs to be put in order.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/12/13, 04:04 PM
Good template, Gator. It's easy to look at something and say "Oh, that looks good." However, I like the order that you do stuff in and the fact that you pertain it to the sport. Really, it's pretty simple, but it obviously works going by your success.

Now that I feel like the biggest butt kisser, I would like to know what yall generally do for recovery? (recovery work)

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

gatormade
gatormade
United States
2006/12/13, 06:34 PM
I am a firm believer that keeping it simple allows training intensity to be higher and more focused.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2006/12/13, 08:42 PM
Good concept. So what about recovery?

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt