Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Undulating my training...

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/11, 11:53 AM
It's time to gain some weight to prepare for teen strongman nationals, so here's how its going down.

Monday/Thursday Upper
A1 Military Press
A2 Wide Grip Pull Up
B1 Chest supported cable low row
B2 Incline DB Press
C1 Dips
C2 Some kind of bicep work
D1 Lateral Raise (offset pinky/offset thumb)
D2 Cable Crunch (standing/kneeling)

I can't horizontal press due to my hand, so I figure the dips (which never seem to hurt?) will take care of the lower pectoral region and the incline DB press will handle the rest. 2 of my favorite movements.

Tuesday/Friday Lower
Wide stance Box Squat with Chains
A1 Romanian DL
A2 Walking Lunge
B1 Bulgarian Split Squat
B2 Isolateral Leg Curl
D1 Hyperextension (position 2/position 4)
D2 Full contact twist (at bar/at plate)

D1+D2 are isolation work for the end of workout, and I will only do that based on how I feel. If I feel good, sure, if not, no need to do it. Cyberkinetic periodization, listen to your body.
Also, isolation work does not have a certain number of sets, and I'm doing different variations (in paranthesis) within the workout rather than multiple sets of the same exercise. I only do this for isolation work.

I also have this periodized with the plan I am doing after this (conjugated split). For example, I am doing bulgarian squats a lot now, so I will be doing step ups more in the next plan, and I am doing upper monday/thursday, and will switch that with lower body work on my next split.

Workouts Sets Reps TBS
1 5 3 100
2 3 15 30
3 4 10 75
4 5 5 90
Upper body starts with workout 1, lower with workout 3, and then cycles.

Pause at streched with low rep work (I have a set tempo for each rep range, but will not follow it strict so I didn't bother writing it out.

Ask questions/critique...

--------------
Iron and chalk.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2006/12/12, 11:28 AM
Read what I said. They can be considered strength developers, but they are not primary movements. Both the military press and pull ups are subsequent lifts used as assistant exercises for the true power-developing movements, which in your case would be the push press or any of the pulls. DBs have their place, but there is not an SCC anywhere that is worth jack if, for hypertrophy, they substitute DBs exclusively for utilizing any of the primary power movements.

--------------
Michael

That which does not kill me... would probably kill you.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/12, 12:04 AM
You don't consider military presses or pull ups to be strength developers? I consider them 2 of the top movements for upper body strength. The military press is used to build a base for other overhead movements in strongman, and it is paired with the pull up because it is the polar opposite of the overhead press.
I'm not sure how much I would read into a program that dismisses overhead work or DB work. I use DB almost as much as I use barbell work, and know coaches who have completely substituted DB's for BB's (cosgrove, boyle, some strongmen).

The military presses and pull ups are done first because they are weaknesses.

I do like the order you put down... If I was doing TBT still. I'm going to try out U/L for a bit again...

In general, I order exercises as follows:
Exercises that have a high technical component
Speed work, DE, etc.
Weaknesses
Other compound work
Isolation stuff

With lower body work, it looks like this
Olympic lifts
DE work
Bilateral hamstring dominant
unilateral lower body
hamstring exercise

Send me something about this template. I couldn't find anything...

--------------
Iron and chalk.
Devinm
Devinm
United States
2006/12/11, 06:29 PM
whyd ka say lol?

--------------
Veni,Vidi,Vici.= I came, I saw, I conquered.- Ceasar
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2006/12/11, 09:44 PM
If you’re going to do the “AABBCC” format for hypertrophy, it needs to be set up in this order:

Power Clean or Snatch
Push Press
Squat
RDL or Pull
Military Press, Back Row, or Incline Press (since you can’t do the bench press yet)
Abs/Low Back

Do this Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, alternating things such as: push press from chest and BTN (with a snatch or clean grip); front or back squat; pull from hang or below the knee (clean or snatch grip). Do 90 / 70 / 80, varying from 4 reps (skilled) to 6 reps. Add one set of plyometrics at the beginning of one workout after your dynamic warm-ups, and you’ll be set.

--------------
Michael

2006/12/11, 10:32 PM
Dev - your posts just seem to make me chuckle. I should have respected wrestlers thread and left it alone.

============
Quoting from devinm:

whyd ka say lol?

=============

--------------
Beyond Training, Beyond Experience, Nutrition Wins
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/11, 11:15 PM
A1 A2 are supersets, etc. Not sure what format you mean Rev, or why any particular format would "need" to be set up any specific way. Anything can be adapted.

The basic format is just an upper/lower undulating split.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2006/12/11, 11:50 PM
Sorry to have assumed you knew what it was. The AABBCC format is a standard template used for the three basic phases of athletic development. It is "set up" in a particular way in order to provided the best results. You have plenty of adaptability in choosing the exercises that you plug into the program, but the order of execution is standard. For example, if you had been using this format, it would be downright moronic to be using Military Presses or Pull ups as primary strength developers, let alone using any cable equipment or DB exercises, particularly in a hypertrophy phase, all the while forgetting any of the power movements.

--------------
Michael

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/11, 08:53 PM
I can't either, to be honest. For the sake of pc, I will say "sternal head of the pectoralis major" from now on.

Devin, thanks for the advice. A few other variations are elbows out with your legs forward, which will destroy your anterior deltoids and utilize the lats as a stabilizer. However, it is tougher on the shoulders.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
Devinm
Devinm
United States
2006/12/11, 04:41 PM
if u wanna do dips for chest, the more u lean foward, the more its for chest and the more you straighten up, the more its for triceps

--------------
Veni,Vidi,Vici.= I came, I saw, I conquered.- Ceasar
2006/12/11, 04:44 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/12/11, 04:44 PM
can't believe you just said "lower pectoral region" lol

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/12, 01:55 PM
Oh, I get what you are saying. Basically the plan you laid out is an order of movements, moving from olympic lifts to other speed lifts, and then on to other stuff (like I usually do, when I am doing any kind of lifts like that)...

I agree that the jerk and push press are better power developers, and also that, for hypertrophy reasons, BB's are GENERALLY superior to DB's, as they allow for an increased load. However, DB's are superior for developing muscular coordination and strengthening stabilizers, which is VERY important in strongman, my main sport.
However... I can't do incline press with a barbell. Any kind of flat pressing with a barbell hurts my hand, even the push press and jerk are painful even though they are overhead. The reduced load in the military (I can't military press for shit, even though I can jerk more than I bench press) fells much better. Snatches and cleans are out of the question.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/13, 11:25 AM
Box squats with chains may have been a bit ambitious. After not squatting for months, 80lbs of chain weight felt like a ton added to the weight I had on the bar. My god my legs hurt.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/15, 08:01 PM
Had to switch to how I'm squatting because of my hand. I'm using a false grip on heavy sets, higher bar set.

On the lighter sets, I'm squatting crucifix style (high bar arms wide and over the bar)...

I hate it because my main weakness in the squat is keeping my upper body tight, but I'll just have to suck it up for now.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
dgjesu3
dgjesu3
United States
2006/12/30, 06:16 PM
wrestler, what happened to your hand?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/30, 08:47 PM
Destroyed a tendon beginning of last summer. Tendon's take forever to heal, and it didn't help that my wrist snapped forward benching about 2 weeks out from the last competition.

I've eliminated olympic lifting, heavy barbell lifting, and any flat benching. I'm going to try to do things right and not aggravate it anymore.

I also have a broken pinky, but that's just annoying more than anything. That won't hold my training back in anyway.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/31, 07:26 PM
My conditioning has gone through the roof in only a couple days. I feel like I usually feel in season.

As a result, I am cutting the rest periods to...

3*15 30s tbs
4*10 60s tbs
5*5 80s tbs
6*3 110s tbs

Slight increase with the 6*3, but I wanted a bit longer between sets of heavy work. This means when I am supersetting, I am getting about 4:30 between each set.
This isn't set in stone yet, and I might change it before my next workout. I am taking monday and tuesday of next week off, as a form of deload. That gives me 5 days off before coming back again.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/31, 07:29 PM
also, I've got a new advisor when it comes to my training. Charles Staley will be helping me to monitor my volume, etc. All of it will be done electronically, and if I progress enough, there may be an article written about my training.

Apparently Charles does a lot of consultation work online, but he has worked with a friend of mine, and I'm just lucky like that...

--------------
Iron and chalk.