Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Puke after workout

Tai23
Tai23
United States
2006/12/05, 03:49 AM
I just got back into working out. It's been five years or so. I started with some sets of squats and followed with leg curls. I couldn't finish my lest set of leg curls because I felt dizzy. I went into the locker room and puked repeatedly into my towel. I drank a lot of water between sets. Could that be it? Or was I just pushing myself to hard after such a long time away from exercise?
danny_tuff
danny_tuff
Australia
2006/12/05, 04:08 AM
hey tai.
im not expert in this but ive heard if youve been out of working out for a while you in a way have to be able to work out to get your self into shape to work out if that makes sense. You cant go straight into what you were doing before. I no someone will correct what im about to say now but i stopped weights for a while and then got back into them what i did to get myself into shape to work out was grabbed some light dumbells and worked the muscles i would be using when i properly started but didnt do it in a split workout. Id do a light full body work out say 3 times a week with alot of body excercises(push ups, chin ups, sit ups) just so the body got back into the rythm of it all. The dizziness may be low blood sugar so make sure uve got some food in the tummy. thanks hope this helps
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/12/05, 02:53 PM
leg exercises along with back exercises are some of the most intensive compound sets out there. I wouldn't be too worried about it. Anytime you find yourself pushing the envelope physically you can experience some nausea at the end. Just try to not push it far enough to make you puke. :) Try to ease into the lifting or anything you do physically to avoid injury. Good luck and welcome to FT.
Tai23
Tai23
United States
2006/12/05, 04:08 PM
Thanks guys.:big_smile:
raiderfanusa
raiderfanusa
United States
2006/12/07, 05:20 PM
I believe the moderators here would agree that you do need to train your body back to a point where you can train hard if you have been away for a while. As far as blowing groceries after a workout I dont think it is common but not unheard of either. It seems like BB1fit answered one of my posts using something along the lines of training to be able to train hard. Maybe you will get to hear from some of the moderators on this. There very knowledgeable and supportive.

--------------
Only two defending forces have ever offered to die for You. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. Both died for your Freedom!
christal086
christal086
Australia
2007/01/18, 03:26 AM
have you ever watched that show "The Biggest Loser" all those contestants puke after they are worked out in the first week, i think they said its just a shock to your body because its not used to it, i dont think it will happen when you have been working out for a bot longer.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/01/18, 08:16 AM
Could be the water - too much in your stomach. Or you could have a bit of a stomach bug and just didn't know it.

Puking after a very intense workout isn't uncommon - you have just stressed your nervous system and muscular system to the max and it just reacts by spasming and sending your stomach contents back up. It is an odd overlaod thing. I will see if I can find you a more scientific explanaition of why it happens.

I don't think you need to be working that hard when you are just coming back to training. Ease off a little, sip your water, see how it goes.

--------------

Until you value yourself you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.
M. Scott Peck
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/01/18, 08:26 AM
Here are some possible reasons for puking after a workout, or during a workout:

Gastrophageal reflux brought on by the valsalva maneuver (holding breath through heavy exertion)

Compromised esophageal sphincter tone (in other words, a looseness of the little ring of muscle that separates your stomach from the esophagus) or esophageal or peptic ulceration

Intense activation of central nervous system due to stress or the neurological demands of exertion

Change in blood pH produced by the anaerobic metabolism of pyruvic acid. Low levels of lactic acid are normally produced from glucose via normal glycolytic pathways; however, if increased lactate production or decreased use occurs, lactate can accumulate.

Shunting of blood away from gastrointestinal tract to working muscles; stomach responds by trying to expel contents involuntarily

Psychological nausea brought on by the stress of executing a difficult movement

The google search was pretty amusing - lots of puking stories, and even one woman who one-upped the pukers by pissing her pants on the leg press....:laugh:

--------------

Until you value yourself you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.
M. Scott Peck
BIGKATT
BIGKATT
United States
2007/01/20, 12:41 AM
I'm getting hungry...did someone say lunch?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/01/21, 08:07 PM
============
Quoting from asimmer:

Here are some possible reasons for puking after a workout, or during a workout:

Gastrophageal reflux brought on by the valsalva maneuver (holding breath through heavy exertion)

=============

I could be wrong, but gastrophageal reflux is generally a chronic disorder, not something triggered by intra-abdominal pressure.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/01/21, 09:30 PM
I found that on t-nation, I think. But i do have clients with reflux and working out can and does aggravate it sometimes.

--------------

M. Scott Peck
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/01/22, 10:08 PM
Clients with gastrophageal reflux?

3/4 of the references in relation to gr have to do with the chronic disorder. Only 2 come up when you cross reference GER and valsalva. And they are the same 2.

Lactate build up is probably the most common cause.

In my opinion the cause doesn't even matter all that much. What really matters is what you do after you throw up PWO.

--------------
Gravity hates you.

Enter the Darkside.
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2007/01/23, 10:17 AM
This isn't uncommon for anyone new to strenuous activity or even after taking an extended break. I had this after I started a few years ago (after about a 13 year break), then I had minor surgery that put me out of any strenuous activity for over a month in October of 05 and it took me a few workouts to get past this again.

Stick to it and only go as far as your body will let you. It goes away rather quickly