Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

How Much?

imwomen
imwomen
United States
2006/12/04, 11:30 PM
Hello, I know I should probably go to a doctor to find out the answer to this question. But be it I have no insurance and wanted to ask here first. I am a 21 year old women who weighs currently 155.5 lbs and am 5 ft 5 in. I am wondering, what is the average weight i should be at, and also what my hips, and waist should measure out to. Any help would be awesome. THANKS>
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/12/05, 08:12 AM
How much you should weigh is very subjective. It will depend on how much muscle mass you are carrying.

The doctor's and insurance company charts and BMI method are outdated.

Here is an example of why :

I am 5'4" tall. I have small wrists. My doctor told me, when I was a teenager, that I should weigh 115 pounds. I believed him, and starved myself down to a fairly skeletal 127 pounds. 115 isn't in the cards for me.

I have small wrists, yes, but I have linebacker shoulders and a lot of muscle. At 5'4", at age 32 I wore a size 6/8 and weighed 145 pounds, that was at about 10-14% bodyfat. According to the BMI charts I was obese.

You have to find out your body composition and evaluate on a personal basis. There is no such thing as the right weigh or right size as far as charts and such are concerned.

I hope that helps :)

--------------

Perseverance is not a long race it is many short races one after another.
Walter Elliott
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/12/05, 02:57 PM
Just pinch around your waist, inner leg, and arm. If you don't pinch much, and you don't have a cellulite dimple look, then pay no attention to your scale. Also go by measurements rather than the scale without a doubt.
good luck.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/12/05, 03:19 PM
Waist-hip ratio is good also. This will determine your chances of coronary disease and diabetes.

--------------
A little discipline at the table and at the gym might help reduce that belly!

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/12/05, 03:22 PM
It really is a tough call. Something like Carivan says is probably fairly reliable. The weight scale that is used by doctors, etc. notoriously does not take into account many factors, muscle mass, bone mass, etc. You can actually be 'overweight' and still be healthy for your bodyweight. What you are referring to comes down to asthetics...this can in fact be dangerous. Not everyone is cut out to look like someone you may idolize, and many unhealthy paths are taken to accomplish this.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/12/05, 03:27 PM
I like Amy's post on this. The "scales and charts" the doctors use are not a good indication of where to be. Obviously if you are 300lbs and have a high body fat then you are in trouble. I can not count how many young folks come on here asking that same question. They all feel pressured to achieve this body image Hollywood and Fashion has imposed onto society. I had one girl almost at the point of being in the hosiptal for eating disorders cause at 5 ft 7 in and 130lbs she was too "fat". It is all about being healthy. At your height and weight I feel you are not that far off a good weight (maybe 10-15 lbs) at most. I would suggest to train with weights and just watch how much, and what you eat....I think you would be surprised....look for KC, Asimmer, flyonthewall and the others for who to train like....they all eat more than you would think, train heavy and look great.
Good luck and Welcome to FT!

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

Warning:Deadlifting going on!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/12/05, 06:45 PM
Good point mutt. I eat more on a cutting diet than any of my friends eat normally. No one believes me that I am cutting weight for competition!

--------------
Iron and chalk.