Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Phony Health Foods Exposed???

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/11/14, 12:31 PM
Found this article, thought it may be a good one to post...

It says "healthy" right on the label. It screams "nutritious!" all over the packaging. From cereal to crackers, soup to yogurt, manufacturers are hyping a range of "health" products with slick marketing campaigns. But do most packaged health foods really live up to their advertising? Not quite, according to one major grocery chain. Fed up with deceptive labeling on the part of food-makers, this grocer is taking matters into its own hands, using a new rating system to grade a wide range of packaged food and beverage products. The results may shock you...

The New England-based chain, Hannaford Brothers, recently announced the results of its review of more than 27,000 popular supermarket products. Rating the nutritional content of the products on a scale of 0-3 stars, with three stars being the best, Hannaford Brothers grocers reached a surprising conclusion: 77% of the so-called "health foods" available in its stores received a zero-star rating. Among the "healthy" items to flunk out were many of Americans' most popular brands, including Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine frozen dinners, Campbell's soups, and Yoplait and Dannon yogurt cups.

The rating system, which was introduced in September 2006, is set for implementation across all 158 Hannaford Brothers locations in five states within the coming year. Depending on its success, other retail grocers and even big-box wholesale chains may follow suit with their own independent food review systems.

Food Ratings: Who Should Get the Last Word?
In the midst of all the hoopla, the question remains: Is a new rating system necessary? Are grocers stepping over the line? Critics of the new rating system, including many food industry representatives, have called into question the need for a separate nutritional measure given existing guidelines set by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as well as the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). Hannaford Brothers representatives countered that their three-star ratings system is more stringent than government guidelines, particularly with respect to the requirements foods need to meet in order to be labeled "low" in fat, calories or sodium. In addition, Hannaford spokesmen noted that their ratings system takes into account "hidden" junk ingredients such as trans fats, which some health products may be packed with to improve taste or shelf life.

How Do the Ratings Work?
For all the controversy surrounding its introduction, the three-star rating system is a relatively elegant tool. The basis of the ratings is a checklist of "Credits" and "Debits" assigned to a food item. A food wins credits for the presence of vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber, and whole grains per 100-calorie serving. Debits are subtracted from foods containing trans fats, saturated fat, cholesterol, added sodium, and added sugars. Based on the ratio of credits to debits, every food is awarded between 0-3 stars. Hannaford spokesmen and nutrition experts expressed shock when over three-fourths of the 27,000 foods surveyed wound up with absolutely no stars.

Luckily, not every food failed to pass muster. Among the three-star winners of the survey were fresh salmon filets, lean chicken breasts and most fresh fruits and vegetables. Among packaged foods, Post Grape Nuts cereal took top honors for its high fiber and whole grain content and relatively scarce quantities of sugar and sodium.

Getting right down to it, though, savvy food-shoppers probably didn't need a new rating guide to educate them on the benefits of fresh produce and lean seafood. But not every three-star food was quite so obviously a healthy choice. Among the items that aced the Hannaford test were some controversial choices, like peanut, soy nut and almond butter, which weight loss-minded consumers consider too high in sodium and fat. However, low saturated fat content and high fiber and protein tipped the balance and garnered the natural nut-butters three stars each.

Also winning three stars were low-sodium brands of packaged macaroni-and-cheese, calcium-fortified goldfish crackers and cinnamon applesauce. Some packaged dried fruits, tapioca pudding and low-sugar brands of energy bars also scored the highest ratings in the Hannaford system. And despite some study findings linking red meat consumption with an increased risk of heart ailments and obesity, 90% lean ground beef found its way to the top of the rating charts.

Bottom Line: Don't Believe the Hype
With an eye on the bottom line and eager for revenue, some food-makers have resorted to arguably disingenuous marketing practices to lure consumers. Whether you shop at Hannaford Brothers or your local market, looking past the gimmicks on the product package is always a smart move. Always read the nutrition facts panel and check the ingredients list for hidden fats, sugars and sodium. For further information about Hannaford or the three-star rating system, consult Hannaford.com.

How Calorie-Conscious are You?
One of the great secrets of weight loss isn't such a secret after all - limit the amount of calories you consume each day and eat the right amount of calories for your body and you'll lose weight. While calorie-counting seems like a tedious task, having a basic knowledge of which foods will send you into a diet trap isn't.

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/14, 12:33 PM
"One of the great secrets of weight loss isn't such a secret after all - limit the amount of calories you consume each day and eat the right amount of calories for your body and you'll lose weight."....it seems I've heard this somewhere before...:)
Deni
Deni
Canada
2006/11/14, 01:29 PM
Great article and hat's off to Hannaford Bros. for caring about the health of their consumers.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

--------------
Deni

------------------------

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.
- Anatole France
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2006/11/14, 01:54 PM
Great article! We should also take artificial colorings and flavorings into account. Some people have bad reactions to these things as well.

--------------
--JBennett
"I've up-ed my intensity.... now up yours!"
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body."
"Never think of how weak you are; think of how strong you're going to be."
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/11/14, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I can't believe how many people think they eat a healthy diet and refuse to believe you when you question it - because it says on the packaging that it is healthy!

The farther away from prepackaged and processed foods we all stay, the healthier. I know that my sweet potatoes and apples are natural and healthy!

--------------

There is more to us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less.
Kurt Hahn
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/11/14, 02:22 PM
I love my sweet potato's, after I nuke them I split them in half and sprinkle some aspartame and cinnamon then close it back up and I have to have a banana a day!

============
Quoting from asimmer:

Yeah, I can't believe how many people think they eat a healthy diet and refuse to believe you when you question it - because it says on the packaging that it is healthy!

The farther away from prepackaged and processed foods we all stay, the healthier. I know that my sweet potatoes and apples are natural and healthy!

=============
2006/11/14, 08:32 PM
I have shopped at Hannaford for years and this new system is pretty cool. I think it will be an eye opener for many mislead shoppers.

--------------
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read this in English, thank a US Soldier