Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Instant gratification....

KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/02, 11:30 AM
Ok, how many of you out there are like me…you lack the patience to hold off on instant gratification…how many of you prey ,as I do, ”Lord give me the patience I lack…RIGHT NOW!”…amen .I understand where it comes from…I don’t have to wait for anything anymore…hell if the computer takes 3.2 seconds to pull up a site..well I MUST need a new one…3 seconds??? Entirely to long to have to wait. And oh to keep up with the Smiths…THEY have a yard full of manicured plant and shrubs…why can’t I …well I can…they sent me this credit card in the mail…and I’m PREFERRED…so I must be able to afford this…why should I wait??? I was looking this up on the net today…trying to find a “cure”…I’m reading this great article about not being able to find happiness without patience….right smack in the middle of it was an ad…all flashy, bright colors dancing all over the place…that’s says ”Need credit fast???”…so I gave up…why…because it’s easier. So what I would like is for people that DO NOT allow them selves to give into instant gratification…How do you do it?????? I figure if I get it here I won’t have to look at commercials. Amy told me yesterday to help me stick with my goals to go get my jeans that I want to wear out of my closet and look at them…I am considering getting them out and wrapping them around my neck…yes it is that hard for me…so tell me…how do you click off your mind when it says…”oh I have to have that…NOW”…is it harder for some than others??? Does it take technique…does it take years???
I’m not looking for a magic pill here.. I know it does take some determination…but there has to be some tricks to it….a bit ago I was having trouble with my dog…manny suggested watching some Cesar Milan(something like that)shows…which I did…and I saw him talking about how the dogs mind gets stuck into doing certain behaviors…and you have to do these certain things to get it to move forward…and I thought..hey that’s ME…I just get stuck and cannot move forward.Help me,and the others out there like me, get UNSTUCK!!!!!Instant gratification issues affect every aspect of my life...from my weight loss goals to my checkbook...any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!
:)
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2006/11/02, 11:42 AM
Patience is not something easily learned. I am a "right now" person, but if you ask my husband, he'll say I'm the most patient person he knows. It's an action. You have to conciously make the decision to wait. And then wait. And not complain about waiting. Which sucks lol.

And by the way, we do NOT have manicured shrubs in our yard.....we don't even have a yard! :laugh:
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/11/02, 02:20 PM
Distraction from the thing you are fixated on. Change your habit patterns, do something else.

There are a lot of ways to learn to delay gratification, but what works for you will be different than what works for someone else.

I put on mental blinders. I am surrounded right now by chocolate and candy... mentally I tell myself that A) It doesn't exist and B) I don't eat that junk.

Make it into an exercise, when you find yourself wanting something NOW, take a deep breath, write out why you want it, what it will do for you, what it will cost you, now or in the long run. make a list of the positive things that may come from delaying the urge to satisfy your inner 3-year-pold, and a list of the negative results possible. I say inner 3-year-old because aren't we really acting like children who don't look past the immediate satisfaction of our wants? We get tantrummy and angry because we feel we should have the right to instant gratification.

Maybe it is a matter of making yourself mature on another level?

--------------

Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit.
Napoleon Hill
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/02, 03:07 PM
I like that idea...to write things down,and defining the negative and the positive....that might change my fixation...I've always been an indulgent person...I see it more as a habbit than my actual personality.So I think that will help...thanks amy!:)
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/11/02, 03:24 PM
Dounds like impulsive habits. Perhaps you are bored and need something to fill your time and mind.

--------------
A little discipline at the table and at the gym might help reduce that belly!

Ivan

Montreal Canada (City of Festivals)
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/02, 03:30 PM
bored...for sure...now that the kids are older...I don't have much to do while they are in school.I've thought about volunteering at the animal shelter...but my phobia of new places has kept me from that...maybe a few short visits on my own would be in order.I never considered that these issues could be a side effect of boredom..hmmm..I will have to give that some more serious thought...thanks Ivan!:)
jmknippel
jmknippel
United States
2006/11/02, 04:29 PM
I totally agree with Amy, the rest of my family is having pizza for dinner tonight and I have to have chicken, well I don't HAVE to, but, if I think about how much it would set me back if I ate the pizza, then that would discourage me. You need to get a picture of someone you want to look like so that is is visible anytime you want instant gratification. I have a picture of the female bodybuilder:dumbbell: who won the 2006 show that I am doing in 2007, my mind tells me that I need to look better than her so that motivates me..
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/11/02, 07:58 PM
KC - it's pretty obvious you think entirely too much. :)
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/03, 08:27 AM
yeah.....cause I have to much time on my hands!!!!:)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/11/03, 06:38 PM
Kc - maybe you should take some online courses in subjects that interest you? That would help occupy your 'monkey mind' and give you something meaningful to do with your time, without pushing you out of your comfort zone.

--------------

Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit.
Napoleon Hill