Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Any runners out there??

jaybh1974
jaybh1974
United States
2006/10/25, 04:54 PM
I have started to do more outdoor jogging. I live in Florida so it is usually pretty nice weather to jog very early in the morning. My problem is picking out a good lightweight running sneaker. Right now I am not even using a running sneaker. I am wearing normal every day sneakers by K-Swiss, which are all leather and get my feet really hot. Anyone here have an opinion on a good running shoe. I dont want to spend more than about 100 bucks on a pair.

Thanks

--------------
www.vitacost.com. Top Brand Vitamins at wholesale cost
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/25, 05:00 PM
Personally I think new balance makes very good running shoes...I think it's all personal opinion really...go to a shoe store...try lots on...ask the sales associates for tips...but honestly after running in K-swiss...anything will feel good!:)And remember you will need to change out your running shoes every 3-6 months(depending on how much you run)so don't go to pricey...price doesn't always mean quality!
jaybh1974
jaybh1974
United States
2006/10/25, 05:07 PM
Yeah these K-swiss's are killing me, beucase they definetely are not running shoes, and I have been wearing them on the weekends every weekend for the previous 6 months anways, so they are about to be retired.
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/10/25, 05:12 PM
KC is absolutely right. Go to a quality running or sports store, talk to some knowlegable staff, and get yourself some proper shoes. Speaking from experience, you really risk injury running in crappy shoes. There's tons of choice out there in the price range you're looking at. Personally I use New Balance, but it's a personal choice based on my running style and foot structure (both of which suck!)

good luck!
jaybh1974
jaybh1974
United States
2006/10/25, 05:14 PM
New Balance is what a lot of people are saying, that and Asics people have told me too
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/25, 05:39 PM
Yes asics is also a good shoe...I had a surprise the other day...I was wearing sandals and it started to poor..I was freezing and we still needed to be out most of the day..so I ran into the local sporting good store and grabbed some generic running shoes for like 20$'s.and they were great!!!Lots of support,had that nice bounce feel when you walk(k-swiss doesn't have that,no support)I've even run in them a couple of times...not bad.I'm not suggesting you go out and buy the cheapest shoes you can find...these wouldn't last long if they were my only pair of shoes..just try them all on.like fly says different fit for different feet.I have a high arch,my feet are wide at the toe,narrow in the heel,but thin..makes finding shoes tough...be aware of your feet...that what the associates will help you do.
jmknippel
jmknippel
United States
2006/10/25, 08:13 PM
I run and I wear New Balance, I think I only paid $40 for them.
dart368
dart368
United States
2006/11/06, 04:26 AM
Some great advice above. I went to a running shoe store called "Fleet Feet" who took really good care of me. They measured my foot. Had me try out, yes, actually run outside with several different shoes while they watched me run. And gave me some great advice. They didn't sell me on the $140 shoe but told me that the $80 and $90 shoes that fit my feet would be the best bets for me. Don't look at price or for a particular brand. Find a running shoe store with someone knowledgable and tell them what your running program will consist of. Trail, track, street, how many miles, sprint intervals, etc. They should be able to put you on the right path.

PS. Color of the shoe REALLY does matter! (J.K.) :big_smile:
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/11/06, 07:46 AM
I use and prefer Nike ACG shoes. THey offer great support, are designed for trail hiking/running. ANd for a fat man like me last the longest. I have a problem with the foam rubber style of sole as I slide off to one side. The ACG brand last for 2 years for me.

--------------
When I consider the short duration of my life, swallowed up in the eternity before and after, the little space which I fill and even can see, engulfed in the infinite immensity of spaces of which I am ignorant and which know me not, I am frightened and am astonished at being here rather than there; for there is no reason why here rather than there, why now rather than then. Who has put me here? By whose order and direction have this place and time been allotted to me? The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me.
Blaise Pascal

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/06, 08:26 AM
Thats great dart!!!I'm so glad you found people really willing to help you!!!!

And YES it does matter the color of your shoe...even what your wearing!!My shoes are green...my favorite color...but I love my red workout clothes...so I rarely match:)

Have fun...let us know how the running is coming along!!
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/11/06, 10:21 AM
Glad you found a good shoe dart! The store I buy mine from will actually let me run in them for 30 days and if I don't like them, I can exchange them. They don't even care where I run. A couple of years ago I actually took advantage of this and returned a pair after 3 weeks running outside, in the winter. They were still bothering my feet so I took them back. No questions asked, we tried a few more shoes and I found a more comfortable pair.

Enjoy your running....it is addictive, especially if you run outside!!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/11/06, 10:29 AM
I am planning on starting a jogging routine outside. I have a left big toe joint that was broken 12 years ago and healed wrong, as a result I get gout in that joint. The foot doc said to get a set of shoes that were not as flexiable to use for training. Do any of you runners know of a insert/shoe that will help stablize that area? In college I weighed 235 and could run a 7:55 mile. Would like to get back to that.

--------------
When I consider the short duration of my life, swallowed up in the eternity before and after, the little space which I fill and even can see, engulfed in the infinite immensity of spaces of which I am ignorant and which know me not, I am frightened and am astonished at being here rather than there; for there is no reason why here rather than there, why now rather than then. Who has put me here? By whose order and direction have this place and time been allotted to me? The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me.
Blaise Pascal

flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/11/06, 10:43 AM
You know what Mutt....If I were you, I would not take up running. I think you're just asking for trouble with your gouty foot. It is soooo hard on the body. You could always give it a try and see how your feet hold out, but I'd drop it at the first sign of trouble. Don't like to rain on your parade...just don't want you doin yourself damage--you've been thru enough:love:

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
--------------
The harder you fall, the higher you bounce
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/11/06, 10:45 AM
Yeah I know, but it hurts if i swim, run walk bike or even squat and deadlift. SO i either give in to it or try to work around it. I am not talking 4-6 miles a week maybe one mile a week or so. I guess I have to see how it holds up. I want to swim but the YMCA schedule is so bad I do not have time for it till the weekend.

--------------
Blaise Pascal

dart368
dart368
United States
2006/11/07, 08:03 AM
Hey Fly...That is a great warranty. I think Fleet Feet said something like that to me but am not positive.

Hey Mutt...You got me worried. I broke one of my toes about 6 weeks ago and it is still swollen and bothers me sometimes. Of course, the past two weeks I have been REALLY active and physical and since the first, I have started running again 3 days a week. Guess it's time to see the doctor again. :(
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/11/08, 02:14 PM
shoes really play a big factor in 3+ mile runs. Running only really involves 1 expense, and the 100 dollars every 6 months is very little to pay to avoid an injury. Really something to think about if you are thinking about long distance running. Good luck with your shoe selection.
imwomen
imwomen
United States
2006/11/08, 09:44 PM
A good running shoe is key. I usually get nike or Asics. I have a pair of gt-2110's and they are awesome. They are really light and comfortable. I love them.
dart368
dart368
United States
2006/11/08, 10:17 PM
What works for one person (Or foot) may not be right for another. Get professional help at a reputable running store. Awesome advice from everyone. :)
jaybh1974
jaybh1974
United States
2006/11/15, 05:26 PM
Finally after searcing for a few weeks, I found a great Adidas running shoe on sale, for only 60 bucks. They are nice and comfy and light.
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/11/22, 07:39 AM
as long as they provide good support your golden.
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2006/11/28, 08:58 AM
I would also run on grass or another soft surface any chance you get. I had shin splints when I ran 5K's and they are NO fun at all!!
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/11/29, 02:21 PM
shin splints while only running 3.1 miles is more than likely related to another issue rather than the surface you are running on. Shoes would be my first guess and the second would be that your legs aren't conditioned for that distance/pace. If you are planning on running a road course race then soft ground is not a very good training platform. It is however a great cross country/adventure race platform. basically train for your race conditions.
begone
begone
Canada
2006/12/12, 07:31 PM
Yes, I'm never without a few things: water bottle (gotta keep hydrated), NB shoes (heavenly good), and Bios Fitness heart rate monitor (awesome). Oh, and some occasional music from the ipod.

I'm training now for my first marathon (hence I joined this forum). Gotta keep pushing it!