Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

How do I gain more muscle weight.?

cloudstrife330
cloudstrife330
United States
2006/10/07, 01:03 PM
This is cloudstrife330. I am a freshman collegiate football player at Mississippi College. I am 6'2, 212 and I was wondering how could I gain more muscle weight...say about 10 lbs. in about one month?
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/07, 01:12 PM
Hi cloud....I don't believe it's possible to gain ten pounds of muscle in a month...but you could ask the guys in the power lifting forum for a more specific answer.Welcome to FT:)
SFGiantsMVP
SFGiantsMVP
United States
2006/10/07, 01:51 PM
I bet you can't even do this with steroids!

Too gain 20 pounds in 1 year clean would be a great achievement and again I wonder how many that have tried accually have.

I garrenty if you try to gain 10 pounds in 1 month you'll do it but it will be 80% or more fat and water rather then muscle!

Your best bet is to wait until the off season and then do a bulk, I really doubt it would be smart to bulk while the season is going on!

============
Quoting from cloudstrife330:

This is cloudstrife330. I am a freshman collegiate football player at Mississippi College. I am 6'2, 212 and I was wondering how could I gain more muscle weight...say about 10 lbs. in about one month?
=============
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2006/10/07, 04:12 PM
10 lbs. in a month can be done on steroids, your first cycle probably only. However, this is not optimal for many reasons, which I will not go into for now.

To do it naturally is probably not possible, your greatest gains are made as a 'newbie', once you are 'well trained', if you gain 10 lbs. of muscle in a year you are doing good.

BEing naturally lean will help, partitioning factors are higher. For every 5 pounds of muscle you gain, expect to add anywhere between 2-5 pounds of fat. The amount of fat you gain will depend, in part at least, on how much you eat. But it also depends on how lean you are when you start to overfeed.

Studies show that during a period of overfeeding, you'll gain more muscle and less fat if you're naturally lean to start with . Conversely, fatter people tend to lose more fat and less muscle when they go on a diet. The leaner you get, the harder it gets to lose fat without losing muscle.

So, for every 10 pounds of weight gained by someone who is overweight, roughly 3-4 pounds come from lean tissue and 6-7 pounds come from fat. But for every 10 pounds of weight gained by a lean person, 6-7 pounds come from lean tissue while only 3-4 pounds come from fat. The term "lean tissue" doesn't necessarily mean muscle tissue, as stored fluid and carbohydrate can also contribute to gains in lean tissue.

The 'average' male may expect to gain roughly 2-4% of their initial weight in the form of muscle after 6 weeks of regular resistance exercise . These figures are based on the results of studies using trained subjects with a body fat percentage of 10-15%.

1. Kraemer, W.J., Adams, K., Cafarelli, E., Dudley, G.A., Dooly, C., Feigenbaum, M.S., Fleck, S.J., Franklin, B., Fry, A.C., Hoffman, J.R., Newton, R.U., Potteiger, J., Stone, M.H., Ratamess, N.A., & Triplett-McBride, T. (2002). American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Progression models in resistance training for healthy adults. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 34, 364-380
2. Paddon-Jones, D., Leveritt, M., Lonergan, A., & Abernethy, P. (2001). Adaptation to chronic eccentric exercise in humans: the influence of contraction velocity. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 285, 466-471
3. Volek, J.S., Duncan, N.D., Mazzetti, S.A., Staron, R.S., Putukian, M., Gomez, A.L, Pearson, D.R, Fink, W.J., & Kraemer WJ. (1999). Performance and muscle fiber adaptations to creatine supplementation and heavy resistance training. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 31, 1147-1156
4. McLester, J.R. Jr., Bishop, P., & Guilliams, M.E. (2000). Comparison of 1 day and 3 days per week of equal-volume resistance training in experienced subjects. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 14, 273–281

--------------
Maximus from Gladiator....Strength and Honor!