Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Guided Fat Loss Challenge Food

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/05, 07:22 AM
The Diet Plan

You will take your current intake , 10 calories per pound of bodyweight for women, 12 for men , and change your macronutrient ratios to 40% protein, 30% carbohydrates and 30% good fat.

When you count your grams of carbs, count the starchy complex ones - you get a free ride with the fibrous veggies.

So - for example a 2,400 calorie diet would break down into 240g protein, 150g CHO (starchy type) and 66g fat.

Divide your protein by 6, that will be the grams per meal you are aiming for.

Your 4th and 6th meals won’t have any starchy carbs, and 2nd meal will have very little carbs, so divide your carb amount into 3 and that is the grams of starchy complex carbs per meal 1, 3, and 5.

You fats you will supplement with flaxseed or Udo’s blend, or use extra virgin olive oil. Flaxseed oil or Udo’s is good in shakes, olive oil is good on veggies or potatoes.

So a 2400 calorie plan would break down like this:

40g pro per meal, 50g carbs at meal 1, 3, and 5, up to 11g fat per meal (but if you take oil pills you will need to include that in your total)

So meals will look like this:

Figure out how much of the starchy carbs/protein you need to get you required grams. .

Breakfast: egg whites or egg substitute to equal your protein needs , a small low-carb protein shake can be taken if you need a lot of protein at this meal.
Oatmeal to equal carb amount splenda and cinnamon okay

It is okay to add some ground turkey breast or extra lean ground beef a few times a week to this meal, in addition to or instead of your egg whites.

Meal 2: Shake - protein powder to meet your requirement and water, a few frozen strawberries or peach slices. You may add crystal lite or other diet drinks for flavor.

If you opt for real food instead of a shake have chicken or turkey breast and a peach (or 5 strawberries).

Meal 3: Chicken or turkey breast to meet your requirements
Sweet potato or rice to meet carb requirement, ‘free food’ veggies

Meal 4 protein powder in water (free food veggies if needed for hunger)

Meal 5 chicken, turkey or fish
Sweet potato or rice
Free food serving
A few nights a week skip the starchy carb at this meal and double the amount of veggies - stir fries are good for this, lots of free food veggies, strips of chicken or lean beef, yumm.

So - does that seem simple enough? If you need help figuring out your amounts or calories, post it here and I will help you.

Meal 6 egg whites with tomatoes, onions and green peppers or ‘pudding’ made from protein powder, water and tsp nut butter. (or a shake made with protein powder, water, nut butter)

Permissible Clean Food List:

Protein Sources:

Beef (limit to 2 - 3 times a week): tenderloin, filet mignon, sirloin, flank steak, round steak, top round, roast beef, ground round, ground sirloin, 935 lean ground beef

Poultry: Skinless chicken breast or tenders, Swanson’s canned chicken breast, turkey breast, turkey breast cutlets, 95% fat-free or leaner ground turkey breast. Deli turkey breast (lean)

Fish (nearly all kinds) best bets: tuna, fresh or canned in water, cod, flounder, halibut, haddock, orange roughy, salmon (limit to twice a week), red snapper, perch, Pollock, scallops, shrimp, whitefish, swordfish

Complex starchy carbs: oatmeal, cream of rice, puffed rice, rice cakes, cooked rice (white or brown), potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans (white, pinto, kidney or black), lima beans, corn, peas

Fibrous veggies (free foods): Asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cucumbers, green beans, lettuce, mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, water chestnuts, zucchini

Fruit alternates: Apple, blueberries, cantaloupe, grapefruit, kiwi, nectarine, peach

Seasonings and spices, etc.
Soy sauce - you drink a lot of water and sweat a lot, soy sauce is okay
Any sugar-free spice blend - a good way to change up fish and veggies, marinate chicken, etc.
Hot sauce (sugar free vinegar-based)

Drink lots of water - aiming for ½ to 1 gallon a day. Start with ½ gallon and see how you feel.

Supplements:

At this time you will need a good multivitamin/mineral supplement.

You can take some of your good fat in the form of pills/capsules, but I like to save the fat allowance for topping my veggies, etc. So a good liquid fat supplement like Udo's Choice or just falxseed oil. In a pinch extra virgin olive oil.

--------------

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
- Aristotle
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/05, 07:31 AM
Oh - print out that list and keep it on your fridge and in your purse.

Here are few tips to help make this affordable:

Buy big containers of plain oatmeal. No sugar, no flavors.

Buy large bags of white rice and brown rice, my family will eat a half-and-half mixture without complaint but not all-brown, so i mix it. I use Uncle ben's quick brown because I can cook it in the rice cooker with the white rice.

Buy frozen veggies for most of your meals - they are just as nutritional, won't spoil and cook quickly in the microwave. they also often go on sale - stock up!

Look for store specials on chicken and turkey - often they run 2-for-one specials at my grocery store. They also run specials on frozen boneless skinless chicken breast and tenders very often - again, stock up! The frozen tenders cook very quickly and are handy!

My favorite fish is pollock - it is mild, easy to cook and usually cheap. Especially when it is on sale! Stock up.

Buy a large container of no-sugar added (check the ingredients list) salsa - you can top fish, chicken and eggs with it to switch things up.

Eggs - either check out a bulk club type store or buy the 18-ct or 2 1/2 dozen packages - you will be eating a lot of egg whites. eggbeaters are just expensive egg whites.

Stock up on canned beans when they are on sale. Kidney beans seem to always be on sale here! Dried beans are cheap, too, but then you have to cook them.

Now. For some great ideas on how to prepare these healthy foods - check the nutrition forum. I post recipes all of the time, so do many people - just be sure they include ingredients on your list and don't exceed your intake amounts.

--------------

- Aristotle
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/05, 08:12 AM
These are good tips....especially the frozen veggies...mine always spoil before I can eat them...so that will be helpful.
gecko4life
gecko4life
United States
2006/10/05, 01:46 PM
Alright trying to figure this out alittle bit. I am 6'1 and 284 I took 12 X 284 = 3408 calories for daily intake. I am having problems figuring out how to break down the amount of protein grams, carb grams, and fat grams. Could you please explain this. It is probably easy to figure out and I am just missing it. Also I have college right after work Mon,Wed,and Thurs and anything I should do to make those dinners easier to accomplish?
vdawnw
vdawnw
United States
2006/10/05, 05:41 PM
Hi. You told me on a previous post I would need to keep my calorie intake 1600-1800 calories. Can you help me break it down? I am totally lost.
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/05, 05:48 PM
Don't feel bad...she had to do it for me and a couple of other people too...:)
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/06, 07:01 AM
Okay - and I need to rectify a mistake up above - since you are eating 30% carbs, you can split your carbs between 5 of your six meals (remember, we are talking about starchy carbs, fibrous veggies are 'free' and don't count). Your sixth meal will be protein and veggies only.

So:

Gecko - I would like to see you start around 2,900 calories a day, if you are comfortable on that and losing weight, fine. if not we will adjust it.

So - here is gecko's breakdown:

2,900 calories 40/30/30
1,160 cal from protein = 290 grams 48g per meal/6 meals
870 cal from starchy carbs = 217.5g 43.5g /5 meals
870 cal from fat = 96.6g up to 16g per meal

Your fat allowance may seem high, but once you figure out the naturally occurring fat in your meal plan, just add some flaxseed oil or Udo's perfect blend oil to bring up the fat count. If you don't make the amount of fat, don't stress, but do get at least 2 tbsp of good oil a day. I like to add it to shakes or have it over salad or veggies.

Here is an easy meal to make ahead and pack:

Grill or bake boneless skinless chicken breasts (marinate if desired) ahead of time.
I pick one day where I marinate and grill a bunch of different flavors. Or you can also cook an extra portion everytime you make a meal at home.

While the chicken is grilling put on a pot of rice. I purchased a rice steamer and it has earned it's keep many times over - you just put in the rice and water, or chicken broth, and it does everything else - perfect rice every time!

While the chicken and rice are cooking, chop fresh broccoli into bite size pieces or cook a bag of frozen broccoli.

Portion out your chicken (cut it into bite size pieces), rice and broccoli into tupperware containers for meals on-the-go. You can season them with soy sauce or hot sauce or any sugarless condiment of your choice. Now you have a meal that is portable and easy to eat. Don't forget to pack utensils! I have eaten this meal cold, it isn't bad, hot is better, but cold is fine, too.

You can mix and match the veggies and spices, too.

Another great tip (which I got from Stella's Kitchen ,a cookbook available at davedraper.com) is to make a batch of rice, then divide it into your portion amounts and place the portions in ziploc bags. you can freeze them and then they take about 2 minutes to heat up in the microwave for meals.

OKay, Now for dawn, I am going to post this and then do your breakdown.

--------------

- Aristotle
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/06, 07:10 AM
dawn - lets start with 1800 and lower it if needs be.

1800 calories 40/30/30
720 cal from protein = 180g protein, 30g per meal/6 meals
540 cal from starchy carbs = 135g, 27g per /5 meals
540 cal from fat = 60g fat approximately 10 g per meal/6 meals

Now - you two can do some work - figure out how much chicken berast equals the grams of protein you need for a meal, figure out how much oatmeal per meal (dawn gets the easy one - 1/2c oatmeal dry is 27g carbs, a perfect serving), how much rice, how much sweet potato. The more you learn about how to portion and how much of what to eat, the easier it is to master your healthy eating and make it part of a healthy lifestyle. So - read labels, buy or borrow a food counts book and make yourself some lists of foods you like and can eat on this plan and how much you can have at a meal. Sounds easy!

--------------

- Aristotle
gecko4life
gecko4life
United States
2006/10/06, 12:48 PM
I was prior military and lived offbase where I bought this really nice rice cooker, I guess time to start using it again. Thank you very much for breaking down the fat amounts to make it more understandable. I do have a question though about where can I find this Udo's perfect blend oil spray? And I need to get my carbs from these guys right?

Complex starchy carbs: oatmeal, cream of rice, puffed rice, rice cakes, cooked rice (white or brown), potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans (white, pinto, kidney or black), lima beans, corn, peas

While the fiberous veggies are fine and can consume freely. Yep finding the 16g of fat is tough but hopefully it won't be to bad. Ohh I noticed since Igot professional that you have this posted there also..should I go there instead?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/06, 01:36 PM
gecko - the pro challenge is different.

Udo's is a liquid, not a spray and you can usually get it at health food stores, if not try online, but thta will take some time.

Yes - the carbs you are counting are the starchy ones, veggies don't count.

--------------

- Aristotle
gecko4life
gecko4life
United States
2006/10/06, 07:50 PM
I tried to figure out my weight for the pro forum asimmer since going to try that one out.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/16, 07:49 PM
Okay, new challengers - read the above posts and ask any nutrition questions here. i will help yuou figure out meal plans, amounts, etc. But you have to do the work - grocery shopping, cooking, planning...

--------------

I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.
-Henry David Thoreau
Reddy
Reddy
United States
2006/10/20, 11:50 AM
Is there a certain time for each of the meals?? like every 3 hours or just whenever??
typ
typ
United States
2006/10/20, 12:44 PM
Got a question. For those of us that travel for work, it is difficult to follow a very rigid diet. I have a spreadsheet that I use that calculates my caloric intake and macros for whatever I eat, but will the fact that I may not be able to eat exactly what is on the list exclude me? Even if it does, I would still like to participate. Kinda gives me a bit more motivation. Thanks.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/20, 04:55 PM
reddi = every three hours

typ - when you travel for work, try tp find restaurants that serve baked potatoes, which you can order plain, chicken breast, grilled or baked fish, and green salalds with vinagrette or low-cal dressing. that should about fit the bill for the plan and be pretty much available anywhere (if only fast food is available look for a Wendy's) Does that sound doable? otherwise, you can pack ready-to-drink shakes or pouches with shake mix and a container to shake them up in. there are a lot of bodybuilders who are also business people and they manage to eat on track while traveling. You can do it with a little planning and determination.

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
typ
typ
United States
2006/10/23, 12:47 PM
O.K. I will give it a shot. I do like Wendy's Jr. Cheeseburger Deluxe! Oh yeah, it figures that isn't on the food list!:big_smile:
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/24, 07:29 AM
:)Wendy's has a baked potato )order it plain) top it with their chili, and if that isn't enough order a grilled chicken sandwich and just eat the chicken or order one of their salads with grilled chicken- just watch how much dressing you use!

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
typ
typ
United States
2006/10/24, 09:29 AM
Do they still have the suggestion boxes? I would like to see them serve sweet potatoes! I love them plain.
beth41
beth41
United States
2006/10/24, 06:45 PM
ok,,,,I am up to the change,,,i weigh 190lbs 5'1 and i am 41 pounds,,,I don't have much time to eat breakfast,,,,so i get a cup of coffee and a peice of toast,,,most of the time it is a pack of crackers,,,,at lunch i may have a salad and for supper ,,,i had cube steak and macroni,,,tell me what i am doing wrong and what i need to do to fix it,,,i need to loose 40lbs by march 8 2007
beth41
beth41
United States
2006/10/24, 06:45 PM
correct to prev forum i am 41yrs old
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/24, 07:33 PM
beth - read the above information (it helps to print it out).

You need to make time for breakfast. that is slowing down your metabolism.

Some quick options for a healthy breakfast are ready-to-drink shakes like EAS' myoplex or myoplex lite - I have seen EAS' shakes at my grocery store, check the 'diet' section at your local grocer or at Walgreens. Avoid the slimfast, look for EAS or seek out a nutrition store and look for labrada lean body shake packets - labrada flavors are pretty good. You can find them online, also.

There are some quick breakfast ideas in the nutrition forum, too. I will look for them and try to bump them to the top or paste some of them in here for you.

At lunch your salad is good, but add in a small baked potato, top it with salsa or some smart balance light, and have a small chicken breast, cut-up on your salad or on the side. these are ll things you can prep ahead of time and then reheat at lunchtime (or I even eat potatoes cold, sometimes).

You need to work in a few small meals (snacks) one between breakfast and lunch and one between lunch and dinner.

A good snack might include some deli turkey and an apple, or some nuts and an apple, or cut-up vegetables and some hummus. make sure it includes some protein and some carbs like vegetables or an apple (refer to the list above for good choices).

At supper - fish or chicken, occasionally steak/lean hamburger (refer above again) , a baked sweet potato or a 1/2 cup of rice, some vegetables (either a salad or some steamed or stir-fried veggies, I use frozen vegetables a lot because they are quick and convenient).

If you are hungry before bed you can have a protein shake or some scrambled eggs, veggies optional.

I know it sounds like alot, but you can phase it in.

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
thepoohguy
thepoohguy
United States
2006/10/24, 08:14 PM
I have to admit. I don't like the idea of shakes. However, since I have started dieting 4 weeks ago, I have found it difficult to eat that many calories. I'm 6ft and weigh 278. 3,336 calories is a lot of calories I feel.

I try to stay around 2,500 a day, but sometimes I even struggle with that. Is there something special to do about this?

--------------
100 lbs. to lose
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/25, 07:11 AM
What does a typical day look like for you?

And why don't you like the idea of shakes? there are some really good shakes out there now, not as bad as they used to be. Many different flavors. I would recommend you try EAS myoplex or myoplex deluxe. And the cost of shakes is minimal when you consider they replace meals and enhance your healthy eating.

3,336 is alot of calories, 2800 would be 15% less than that, so 2500 is close to what you want to aim for.

NUtrient dense foods are the way to bring your calories up - the sweet potatos, rice, oats, protein and don't forget youi can supplement with extra virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil (or a brand called Udo's, which has the ideal ratio of omega fatty acids in it).

--------------

AIM HIGH TIME FLIES
Reddy
Reddy
United States
2006/10/26, 11:24 AM
something for the people on the goal - go to the baby dept & look for the baby forumla container that has 3 sections & spourt lid. YOu can put the shake mix in it then add it to your bottle water. I hope that made sense.

--------------
Reddy

All people smile in the same language
pipa420
pipa420
United Kingdom
2006/10/27, 11:22 AM
hello sorry havent been around much been really busy but havr done the workout..just a quick question is it very important to follow the recipes here or will it alright to eat anything as long thay are within yun calories per day..ofcourse i am talkinh about healthy food... its just that i have a strict budget with the grocery money and have to cook fpr 5 and really cant afford to buy extra food for myself..thanx in advance
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/27, 02:56 PM
cook healthy for your family - the foods on this list are actually less expensive than more processed foods.

eating the foods on the list is part of the challenge, but if you 'can't' do it then eat within your calorie amounts and see what happens, maybe you will still lose weight.

--------------

Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit.
Napoleon Hill
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/27, 03:53 PM
I have to say...since I started this I have been able to put 250 more into my savings acoount more than I normally would.My grocery bill was only 200 this 2 weeks versus 300-350...it's a WHOLE lot cheaper!!!!And because I plan my meals and don't go out to eat...I was even able to save more..a nice plus!!
pipa420
pipa420
United Kingdom
2006/10/27, 04:26 PM
i know what you mean..i do cook every night and even plan ahead and we only eat out when there are special occasions m my bugdet is £200 for 5 weeks and that only 2 weeks for you hehehe..dont get me wrong i do eat healthy food because i have a 2 year old daughter who eats the same food we do.. its just that we always have to have rice which a bit filling...anyways ill see how things go when i stick to my calorie allowance...tc