Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Asthma vs. Cardio

slorbets
slorbets
Canada
2006/08/11, 03:03 PM
I always envy those people who appear to be able to run forever and not struggle with it. I am aware those people have to work hard and stay motivated to beable to do so, however, I have asthma, and I usually struggle after running for 10 minutes. I can walk, use the stairmaster or eliptical no problem, however running seems to be the biggest problem for me. I do have medication to deal with the asthma, but does anyone have any input on how to deal with the issue so that I am able to run longer distances without suffering, or am i better off just sticking with the cardio that works for me? I really want to push myself and beable to go for a run outside for long periods of time, but it seems such a struggle. Any suggestions?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/08/14, 11:50 AM
Start by gradually adding running bursts into your walking program. Sort of like interval training - walk for a warm-up period, then run for a short burst, walk to recover at least as long as the running burst, then repeat. Gradually your running intervals will increase.

I don't know what type of meds you are on, but i was switched to singulair for my asthma and it made a big difference. i also find that if i am going to be running (a rare occasion nowdays, i hate running :)) I do better if I use my albuterol inhaler before i start the session.

Good luck, hope it helps. Give it time and your lung capacity should get better. If not, talk to your doctor about it, maybe you need to switch meds.

--------------

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Sidume
Sidume
United States
2006/10/27, 12:34 PM

Hey Slorbets,

First, listen to your Dr!

If your asthma is triggered by exercise then Asimmer's advice is right on point. HOWEVER, if your asthma is also triggered by outside substances (grass, exhaust, mold, certain trees, etc.), then you probably shouldn't press the issue by running outside. You may be able to build up to long runs in a controlled environment, but know what your triggers are.

First - Know your limitations. Then push your limits, but with something like this, push them gently.

Also, if you're trying to build cardio-endurance, some Dr's have recommended swimming for asthmatics. The high humidity environment apparently doesn't trigger exercise induced asthma as much (which strikes me as odd, considering how they don't recommend exercising in high humidity).

--------------
Hey, I never clamed to bee the brightist brick in the boks.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/27, 02:52 PM
the chlorine/chemicals in pool water trigger my asthma...

--------------

Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit.
Napoleon Hill
Sidume
Sidume
United States
2006/10/29, 05:44 PM
Again, know what your triggers are. Avoid whatever that is.