Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Post pregnancy shape-up!

Julez82
Julez82
United Kingdom
2006/08/11, 07:22 AM
Hi, My name is Jules, I gave birth 7 weeks ago (to a beautiful baby girl who was hefty 9lb 11oz!!) and have started going back to the gym to get back in shape. I did exercise 5 times a week before falling pregnant so I reckon I was in pretty good shape beforehand.

I didn't put on too much weight during my pregnancy, but obviously gained weight in the usual areas - bum, tum and thighs. I also have noticed that my lower back muscles aren't as strong as what they used to be!

What exercises can I do that specifically target these areas for weight loss and definition? For my lower back , which exercises can I do to strengthen?

All advice and suggestions much appreciated!

Jules x
2006/08/11, 02:52 PM
Diet is key...remember to reduce your calories...eat 5-8 small meals/snacks daily....drink plenty of water...

Do some cardio...walk/jog/run/stairs/skip rope/HIIT...try to push yourself weekly...whether trying to increase distance, improve pace, or shorterning recovery in HIIT...

Lift weights...big exercises produce the biggest results...squats,pull downs, military presses,dips,etc....I would do Hyperextensions for the lower back(you can do them on a machine, or freeweight version on the glute/ham bench...you can also try deadlifts for the lower back(tho I suggest hyperextensions first to strengthen your lower back a bit)....remember to start slow and and continously aim to push yourself just a little bit more every 2-3 workouts....whether it means going for extra reps, weight,# of sets or reducing rest time....

Make sure to learn proper form on the exercises you choose to do....some exercises are trickier than others....so make sure to learn good form for squats(sitting back, going down low, deadlifts, military presses...

good luck
Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2006/08/12, 11:45 AM
As I am currently pregnant and due in Novemeber I have been looking for a few good books on this subject and ther are definetly some out there.....Remember that if you are breastfeeding do not go into a calorie defecit diet...you need these calories for your baby. Oh and if you are breast feeding feed just before your workout for your comfort and so that the milk wont have lactic acid built up in it. (Breastfeeding will burn up to 800 cals a day on average) This may help women to lose the excess weight very quickly and others may hold it until they wean. That being said remember that it took 9 months to put the weight on expect it to take at least a few months to take it off again (most I hear is an average of 6months)

Check out www.babyfit.com for some good advice. Before you were pregnant you worked out 5x a week what about while pregnant what was your routine like?

Remember to start off slow and go easy on yourself. Then build up the momentum to get in a good workout routine.
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/14, 10:27 AM
all good advice...so I'll just say....darling baby!!!:)
zachsmom
zachsmom
United States
2006/11/03, 01:17 PM
I also gave birth 7 wks ago. Im looking for some advice on were to start.... I did not put on much weight only 14 lbs, but its like my tummy will not get any smaller. LOL LOL. The dr said it is fluid and it should come off, but when... Please help as new mom in need.:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/11/03, 01:57 PM
relax new mom...it's only been 7 weeks...I know you're anxious to have your body back...since it was rented out for the last nine months...take a plate of patience with your diet...you'll see it soon!!!:)

and welcome to FT!!