Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

HOW to spot!

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/07/20, 04:10 PM
One thing that really erks me is a bad spot(er)....heres some pointers on how to be a good spot....and how to ask for a spot.

1. Wait for whomever you ask to spot you, to be done with a set and a drink of water...and a breather. Don't go up right after he's done...and say can I get a spot.

2. If you being spotted by a nice person...tell him the reps your shooting for, so he/she knows. Also if you'd like a lift off or not etc.

3.Don't make the spot do all the work for you...if you can only bench 200 3 times...don't make him do 4 more for you. Thats really annoying. Rule of thumb...you should be able to do at least 80% of the reps by yourself...

4. If you doing a 1 rep max....let them know that, so they know not to touch it.

5. don't have the person spot you no more than 2 times...that gets annoying.

6. Ask somone in portion to you...if your benching 300+ don't ask a guy whom you know only benches 150...common sense?

how to be a good spot:

1. whip off your sweety face, don't need any dripage in the lifters eyes..( this is for anykind of bench)

2. take off yoru headphones, at least one of them, so you can here the lifter.

3. some "light" coaching is ok...drive push..etc.

4. use both hands to spot...no matter how light it is.

5. Always be friendly but don't offer "advise" most of the time its not wanted.

6. keep an deye on the lifter...this isn't the time to check out chicks.

7. on db benches, and military press...spot by under the eblbows. not wrists.

8. let them lower the weight down..unless you are asked to do other wise.

9. ask how many reps, if they say 1 or 2...ask if they are maxing....once yoru hands touch a max...its not a max...and that does suck when your maxing out...and they touch it and still say all you....keep hands AWAY from bar on maxing!

10. If a girl asks you to spot them on a bench...heres the proper way...don't spot inside her grip, touch the bar outside of her grip....this will be more gentileman like so she thinks your not trying to cop a feel of her boobs.
**Also there is an unsaid rule of the free weight area...anytime somone is benching(barbell) solo( no spot) keep an eye on his form and wieght...just in case. One can see if he/she starting to get shaky and about to do 1 more too many.

again these rules are only for "strangers" whom you ask to spot or they ask you to spot.

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

People don't reach thier true potental, only those who seek it.
steltz02
steltz02
United States
2006/07/20, 05:23 PM
Good Post.
Nothing worse than a horrible spotter.

Yesterday I had the worst spotter of my workout career and also the best spotter of my life. HUGE difference in how you feel when you get done with the set.
1. That sucked, i should have lowered the weight and done it by myself.
2. God that guy is a great spotter, I hope he is in here next week when I max out.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/07/21, 07:42 AM
Big A did you copy this? I am asking cause there are no (at least none I can see) spelling errors!:love::big_smile:
ANyway great post!

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/07/21, 11:29 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
2006/07/22, 06:27 AM
proportion*

great post BA...

nothing bugs me more than a bad spotter....
2006/07/22, 06:47 AM
Also have to say some of the rules of the etiquette are gray area...

for example there maybe only 1-2 guys in the whole gym who can spot me...so if there's an avg built guy in the gym i will ask him...cuz there's no1 in proportion to my strength level in the gym...

Also if someone good is spotting me I will ask them a few times despite knowing it's annoying...but i'll say 'hey thanks again you're the only big guy here...' or some other thing...most of the time people are cool about it....and I gladly help others also....if they ask me...

The key to many situations is communication...sometimes I may do just couple negatives..so i let the spotter know exactly how much they will probably will need to lift off me...so they know how much exertion will be necessary
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/07/22, 12:23 PM
Working in a gym, I have become a professional spotter.

A couple guidelines...

Ask/tell if the lifter would like a lift off.
Find out how close of a spot he/she would like.
In the squat, if lower back rounds and it looks like a fail, then TAKE IT. None of that inching the way up crap when I have 300+ lbs on my back. Under the arms, lock at the chest.

A couple pointers...

On most benches, easiest thing to do after a lift off is to bring one leg up and outside, adjacent to the lifters head, while keeping the back leg on the platform. This will give you more stability for the spot.
When spotting skull crushers, etc, it is easiest to get in a kneeling position, rather than squatting down or bending over.

And spot ettiquette...
DO NOT ask me to spot you in the smith machine. I would rather smack you in the face with a plate.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2006/07/25, 10:55 PM
How come none of the ladies ever ask us sweaty fellas for a spot when they are squating??

On the other hand, I would probably get smacked if I asked a girl to spot me the right way on a squat. Haha.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/07/26, 01:06 PM
squatting has different rules for spotting....very few know how to squat right....let alone....spot one.

I don't liek the leg inside thing for spotting bench....I don't liek looking up and looking up guys shorts....of coarse the average bench in my gym is maybe 250....so i really don't need to.

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/07/26, 08:54 PM
I dont mean stand over, I mean stand with one leg about 3 inches above they're head, and one leg 2 inches outside their deltoid. This puts you at a perfect angle to spot as well as avoiding the looking up shorts thing.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
2006/07/27, 03:45 AM
Love nothing more than some motivational crap and slapping off my arms or sides when I am about to kill myself some idiot thinks he's on the set of Rocky....then again there's no1 to ask for spot at my gym....
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/07/29, 11:27 AM
Oh ok wreastler...i've seen people spot...step/put one leg over into the actual bench...

When I have time i'll try and post the way to spot a squat.

--------------

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/08/03, 09:39 PM
as promised....the squat....

Very tricky here....cause for 1 IF somone does squat....they don't do it correctly...and 2 if they do it correctly most would rather bail out...than have a stranger spot them with 400+ on thier back.

However, I have been asked to spot a squat....so i'll share you how I did it and other techniques.

1st way to spot:

While this way isn't the safest....its ok for light squatters..under 200lbs. Thats just touching the bar on the inside of the grip of their hands....and slowly pulling up. Much like spotting a bench press. I usually squat with them a little too. This is also good when spotting women. Less personal space is intruded.

Now the next 2 ways are a little more "hardcore"...

Next is the under hook...you under hook them under their elbows/armpits....and squat with them...this way is nice if they lean foreward some...you can help them by pulling back slightly. I usually let them absorb the weight going down....then pull them out of the hole. After they stand up and are done...un hook...and help them re-rack the weight.

....and the most personal...is the bear hug. Same way/set- up as under hook, but you cross their chest more so...to really keep their chest up...again squat with them. This is usually for the "heavy weights"(big squatters) lol

Last way...is for guys squatting 500+...where you have 3 spots....one on either side of bar, and one behind. If bow squatting....2 spot can be used...one on either side of bar. Key here is for the 2 on the sides...to help EQUALLY...and not unbalance it.

First 2 are prolly the most used...

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/08/05, 02:20 AM
A note:

Side spotters are only there to spot the back spotter. The back spotter should come in, and if said spotter is having difficulty, THEN side spotters should take the weight, or resist its downward movement.

I've seen too many times what happens with unequal side spots.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/08/09, 11:36 PM
yes..I'd rather have one GOOD back spot....in highschool...I tried the 3 spotter....350 bought landed on the floor.

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/08/09, 11:49 PM
THE LIFT OFF:

Giving a good lift off is very important to a proper max effort bench spot.

The spotter should who's count to lift on. Most people like to count it out when they are going to lift, but I personally prefer to have my spotter let me know when to lift, so that I can zone in on the lift till the last second, when my lifter says "3".

The bar should be released at the proper height, not pulled off the rack and released. I like my spotter to bring the bar over the midline of my chest, right at my nipples. Although I bring the bar to my rib cage, this is where I start the lift.

Also, it is improper to release suddenly. The lifter should either say when to release, or it should be understood that the spotter will make this determination. Either way, the bar should gradually be realeased into the lifter's hands over a 1-2 second period.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/08/09, 11:55 PM
A few other things...

Having the spotter count allows for the lifter to get his/her breathing right before a big lift. This is important. Another way I left out is to use a nonverbal cue, like a head nod, or pressing one's self into the bar, releasing and regripping, etc.

I also prefer a double overhand grip when handing out. Some spotters will windmill the weight when they are handing out with an over/under.

Can you guys tell I have this to a science?

--------------
Iron and chalk.
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/08/09, 11:56 PM
and I see a few spelling errors. I'll play nice though :-P

--------------
Iron and chalk.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/08/10, 12:07 AM
bout*

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/08/11, 11:15 PM
"can I get a spot?*"

portion*

sweaty*

It's ok, andrew just snorted one too many ammonia caps before big deadlift attempts. I'd rather be strong than smart anyways.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/08/16, 02:07 PM
I have a question on this one...I'm 5'4" and 150lbs. So I wouldn't usually fall into the category of being asked to spot. However I have from time to time and even spotted a few guys on weight that was way out of my league. My question is why does the proportion to the weight your doing matter...if the spotters job is to only assist with as small a portion as is necessary to prevent injury? It's also the responsibility of the lifter to not make the spotter do all the work as well. Obviously someone pushing 300 lb bench wouldn't ask a 100lb person for a spot...but I've successfully spotted someone on this weight before.

Also I think it needs to be said that if you've never spotted before and someone ask you for a hand, then give an out or ask for directions, but they need to know. That's what I did the first time someone asked me and they kindly showed me what to do and explained the difference types of spots on what exercise.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/08/16, 02:17 PM
I do not ask guys that look under a certain weight cause if I fail they would not be able to do a thing with it. Now I have a few guys tha weigh under 200lbs spot me and they are the best. BUT if I did not know them and see them handel large weights..I would not ask.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/16, 02:20 PM
Stump!!!!Where ya been????
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/08/16, 02:44 PM
Haven't had much free time lately...just decided to cruise around the site a bit and see what's going on. Noticed the "fitness test" thread got dragged out of the gutter again...thanks to wrestler. Otherwise I'm still hitting the gym 3-5 days a week and I think I can officially call myself a non-smoker after almost 4 months.

mutt...I guess my thinking is to failure (at least from my perspective) doesn't include a 100% lack of ability to lift. You should be able to provide some amount of lift and it's the spotters job to get the rest. I'm no power lifter and maybe that's my problem...I typically will do weight that I know is within my reach at least on a few reps.
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/16, 02:53 PM
Good to "see" you...I've missed words like "exactamundo"
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/08/16, 03:05 PM
Well that is true ou should not need a spotter at all. But if you do fail you want onethat can take it.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/08/16, 04:51 PM
I can take it...load up 1000lbs on that bar and I'll spot ya mutt. :surprised:

Exactamundo...lol...I'll pop in from time to time and throw out some abstract words on your threads for ya. :big_smile:
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/08/17, 12:13 AM

============
Quoting from sstump1:

I have a question on this one...I'm 5'4" and 150lbs. So I wouldn't usually fall into the category of being asked to spot. However I have from time to time and even spotted a few guys on weight that was way out of my league. My question is why does the proportion to the weight your doing matter...if the spotters job is to only assist with as small a portion as is necessary to prevent injury? It's also the responsibility of the lifter to not make the spotter do all the work as well. Obviously someone pushing 300 lb bench wouldn't ask a 100lb person for a spot...but I've successfully spotted someone on this weight before.

Also I think it needs to be said that if you've never spotted before and someone ask you for a hand, then give an out or ask for directions, but they need to know. That's what I did the first time someone asked me and they kindly showed me what to do and explained the difference types of spots on what exercise.
=============

Well guess it was mean to say pick somone in portion. I shoulda said....pick a "usual" in the gym....the 15 year old doing 15 sets of curls prolly won't be able to help much. But even a "small guy" like yourself....who's in the gym 4-5 days a week...will more than likly know how to spot safly.

--------------

gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/08/23, 03:35 PM
Very good post BA. I prefer being spotted at the wrist with heavy dumbbells though so they can guide it away from my face when my arm gives out.

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/08/24, 10:18 AM
Spotting at the wrist...isn't the best way theres not much leverage fromt he spot....one can puch more than they can pull. Plus At the wrists the spot is more likly to knock it out of alinement. Pushing up under the arms is still the best and saftest way.

--------------

gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/08/28, 03:57 PM
everyone has their own preference on this particuliar spot because I've seen advice both ways regarding this issue. I fail to understand the elbow spot being the safest technique in the case of tricep failure and the weight heading for the lifter's body or face while the spotter is tending to their elbow. I think the push/pull strength is an argument that really should be resolved by having someone that is strong enough to actually spot you.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/08/28, 11:22 PM
Well the spot is to help...not lift it for you ,put it in right plan of movemnt, guide, and place it back on floore for you.

If you need a spot to do what you need them to do, you lifting too much weight. Point is to help for the last 1-2 reps

--------------

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2006/08/29, 12:53 PM
This may help stump understand, but when I ask for a spot, it's not because I know I will fail on my last couple of reps and want assistance. I avoid this.

Instead, it is for a lift off, and IN CASE I do miss the lift. If I go for a 3rm, and start to fail on the third rep, I am rapidly loosing strength as the weight comes back. After about 3 seconds, my strength drops significantly, requiring a spotter that can get the weight up before this point.

--------------
Iron and chalk.
2006/08/29, 01:40 PM
ditto on the lift off and as a safety precaution

I always hear people say 'I dont think I can lift that...." looking at the total weight that they are gonna spot me on.....however just because I am lifting 100lb doesnt mean when I am about to fail or even fail that they will lift this whole amount on their own.....they merely assist with at most 20% of the total weight.....and most of the time not even 5%....

I have got to the point where I can tell 99% of the time if I am going to fail or overcome a plateau midrep....if I am about to fail I dont wait for the bar to start coming back down I just ask for help right away....
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/09/07, 12:02 AM
"tritto"......I can usually "feel" if I'm gonna hit or miss..just by the unrack...and the descent of the lift in question.

--------------

gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/09/12, 04:05 PM
Andrew you lost me on how the elbow is safer than the wrist on the spot.
2006/09/12, 04:23 PM
I agree with BA on the elbow spot. As the lifter I feel like the spotter has much more control which keeps the spot in balance. As a spotter I also feel more in control spotting the elbow if help is needed.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2006/09/12, 05:42 PM
As a spotter pulls on the wrists...the spotter will want to pull toward there body a lil bit....under the elbow allows more stability and is more of a push...that a pull.

--------------

gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/09/13, 07:56 AM
above null is me.... serves me right to go get coffee before posting :) later guys.