Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Aaron's Workout Journal

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/04/03, 03:23 PM
I notice that your upper body push days are heavily internal rotation dominant. Any reason to be starting with internal rotations?

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/04/03, 06:51 PM
It's just a program I'm following mainly for jumping, but it has upper body days, too. I'm just gettin back into the swing of things. For some reason, it always starts out with either internal or external rotations. I guess they're supposed to be an active warmup. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/04/03, 08:33 PM
My suggestion would be to look at it objectively.

And if you don't want to do that, at least realize that you are doing 5 times more weight for internal rotations than external rotations, when most orthopedics will recommend a 2:3 ratio.

--------------
Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
2007/04/04, 12:05 PM
Definitely would prioritize external rotations for prehab or warm up.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/04/04, 06:24 PM
lol Yeah I realized it was a little out of balance, but what's weird is my pulling strength is much better in most lifts than push, or at least that's what I've always thought... I don't get it.

I definitely have some goals, but I wasn't aware of the recommended ratio and the obvious imbalance I have. Do you guys recommend throwing out the externals completely for a while? Because I tend to really like the push/pull splits.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/04/06, 11:46 AM
bump

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/04/06, 10:10 PM
Pulling can be internally rotated. Chin ups, for example...

--------------
Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/04/07, 01:02 PM
Ohhh...apparently I am very uneducated in this area...but it seems that this imbalance is a big deal...I want my rotator cuffs to be healthy...I'm just not sure where to go from here...time to read I guess.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/04/07, 01:12 PM
found a pretty good article...gives good exercises...I'm going to add this superset to my training, but what should I take out of my current routine?

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_145shldr

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/04/10, 07:09 PM
---Note: Had an upper body pull day identical to the last one on last Thursday.

4-10-07: Upper Body Push

**Cable Internal Rotations- Cut out for now

Explosive Bench

80lbs, 6x2. 1 minute TBS

**In-between sets, I did some lying DB external rotations

7.5 lb 3x12 - Got pretty tough

Partial Bench Press

170 x 2
170 x 2
170 x 1...lost focus & missed 2nd
170 x 1...missed the 2nd (mental from last set I think)

Explosive Military

45lbs, 6x2, 1 minute TBS

Partial Military Press

115 x 2
115 x 2
120 x 2
120 x 2

Flat DB Bench

55's x 5
55's x 5
55's x 5... Will move up next time

DB Seated Shoulder Press

45's x 5
45's x 5
45's x 5...Improvement from last week

...Definitely getting stronger...body comp is getting better too...just wanna get that imbalance fixed

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/04/10, 08:27 PM
============
Quoting from arondaballer:

but what should I take out of my current routine?

=============

I'd just cut the internal rotations. It's not like doing a couple extra sets of ext rotations will be taxing enough that you'll need to cut volume and drop something else, though.

--------------
Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/04/10, 09:06 PM
That's what I decided to do...thanks.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/04/17, 01:13 PM
---Note: Had an upper body pull day identical to the last one on last Thursday. I keep forgetting to log it.

4-17-07: Upper Body Push

Explosive Bench

80lbs, 6x2. 1 minute TBS

Partial Bench Press

170 x 2
170 x 2
170 x 2
170 x 2...last rep was kinda tough

Explosive Military

45lbs, 6x2, 1 minute TBS

Partial Military Press

115 x 2
115 x 2
115 x 2
115 x 2...definitely ready to move up

Plyo Pushups (clapping)

3 x 5, 1 minute TBS

Flat DB Bench

55's x 5
55's x 5
60's x 5...took everything I had

DB Seated Shoulder Press

45's x 5
45's x 4
45's x 0...was absolutely worn out for some reason

Physioball Crunch: 3 Rounds

+12 lb DB on chest x 8
Bodyweight x 8

DB x 6
Bodyweight x 8

DB x 4
Bodyweight x 4...was killin me

Cable External Rotations
12, 10, 8 with 5lbs (different machine than usual)

**Overall, today was encouraging. My bench definitely feels stronger. On the partials, I was really going almost all the way down for the first 3 sets, and I believe adding the plyo-pushups definitely affected my strength for the DB stuff. Very happy!

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/04/24, 12:01 PM
OK,

So I stayed up all night last night studyin for a Calculus test at 8 am. I popped a couple of Spike prior to the test to improve concentration on a lack of sleep. BAD IDEA! For some reason, I reacted waaayy too much today and was very shaky.

Right after calculus is my weight training class. When I get there, I'm dead tired and decided to just do some external rotation work and maybe a little here and there of other things. WRONG. Our teacher says that we are doing post-testing today for our lifts. Results:

Squat with 135

March 20- 17 reps
Today, April 24- 24 reps

Bench with 135

March 20: 8 reps
Today: 13 reps

Hamstring Curl with 90

March 20- 15 reps
Today- 24 reps

Chin Ups (bodyweight)

March 20- 7 reps
Today- 9 reps

Trust me, I didn't choose this for my testing. I wanted to improve in deadlift, squat, bench, and pull-ups, but she wouldn't let me do DLs, and she made me go with 135 on squat (safety issues). She chose the weights to use and she also added the hamstring curl. On squat and hamstring curl, the weight was WAY too light...coulda kept goin, but I wanted to keep my santity and my legs for this week. I'm very happy with the bench improvement, and I can live with the chin-ups. Overall, considering my preparation (or lack thereof), I was happy with the results.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/10/23, 10:43 AM
Doin me some linear periodization.

Monday's work included

Assisted Wide-grip Pullups (weight below is assistance weight)
70 x 10
70 x 10
70 x 10 (really had pushed it on the last few reps)

90 secs TBS

Seated Rows
72 x 12
72 x 12

60 secs TBS

Cable Scarecrows
7.5 x 12
7.5 x 12

60 secs TBS

Cable Curls
35 x 12
35 x 12

60 secs TBS

Swiss Ball Crunches
body x 20
body x 17

Supersetted with Isometric Ab Bridge
45 seconds both times

done

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/23, 07:52 PM
I'd rather see you doing band assisted pull ups, or even pull downs.

Also, seems like you could be doing more volume. Generally during accumulation you do more exercises and more total volume. But then, what would I know... I did linear periodization and all I got was an injury.

--------------
SQUAT MORE ~Jesse Marunde

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/10/24, 11:40 AM
For some reason, I have lost both my green minis (ah!), so I guess I'll start doin pulldowns? Why pulldowns? Just curious.

The volume builds quite a bit over the course, and these workouts are wearin me out cuz I've been out of it for a while, so I think I'll stick to it for now. You know, just gettin back into things.

Wednesday

Squat (low as I can- which isn't that low, a little below parallel)

155lbs x 10
155lbs x 10
155lbs x 10

Hyperextensions
Body x 12
Body x 12

Resisted Hip Flexion
60lbs x 12
60lbs x 12

Standing Calf
115lbs x 12
115lbs x 12

Cable Shin Flex
10lbs x 12
10lbs x 12

Good Stretch

done- these workouts are feeling great

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/24, 04:16 PM
Because it's more free chain. Think about it. On a machine, your upper and lower body are restricted to one dimension of movement. At least with a pull down, it is open chain, so the cable has the ability to move in more than one plane.

Besides that, people are less likely to laugh.

And your mini's are green?

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/10/24, 04:32 PM
I had red mini's and black monster mini's....i'd be afraid to use those to help me do pull ups. I use my purples.

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.
coolnatedawg
coolnatedawg
United States
2007/10/24, 06:16 PM
my minis are purple, but my school has green minis too..
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/10/24, 10:02 PM
Haha people can laugh if they like. I will start doin pulldowns, tho.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/10/26, 01:37 PM
Friday

Bench (wow, it's been forever)

115 x 10
115 x 10
115 x 10

Standing DB Shoulder Press

35's x 6 (WHAT THE CRAP?...I expected two sets of 12)
25's x 6
25's x 12....geeeeeeez

Cable External Rotation
5lbs x 12
5lbs x 12
5lbs x 12

Leg Raises off bench
body x 12
body x 12

Swiss Ball Oblique Crunch
body x 10
body x 10

Today was HORRIBLE. The bench felt pretty good. I got all 30 reps cleanly, but dang, after my sets, when I went over to do the shoulder presses, I just felt shot! Like helpless- I really think I need to get my shoulders in check, cuz I was supposed to do dips after the shoulder press and I felt just helpless. I used to do max effort dips with body +50lbs, and I couldn't even do one cuz I felt so shot and shaky.

I guess it has been so long since I've seriously trained upper body that I am just a big pussy now...hard work will get things back, tho.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/10/30, 10:20 AM
Monday, 8-29

Pulldowns
133 x 10
133 x 10
133 x 8 (down to my head on 9th. failed on 10)

90 secs TBS

Seated Rows
72 x 12
72 x 12

60 secs TBS

Cable Scarecrows
10 x 12
10 x 12

60 secs TBS

Cable Curls
35 x 12
35 x 12

60 secs TBS

Swiss Ball Crunches
body x 20
body x 15

45 seconds both times

done

Steve, you're right, the pulldowns were obviously more challenging, even though I felt like the assisted pullups hit the lats more directly, the pulldown was probly more like a real pullup.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/10/30, 03:01 PM
Where you still going wide grip?

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/10/30, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I went wide.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/10/31, 09:30 PM
Wednesday, 10-31

Squat
155lbs x 10
155lbs x 10
155lbs x 10

Hyperextensions
Body x 12
Body x 12

Standing Calf
115lbs x 12
115lbs x 12

Cable Shin Flex
10lbs x 12
10lbs x 12

CRAP. Forgot about hip flexor work. Nevertheless, a great day.

*I have NEVER gone so deep on squats. My 2nd and 3rd sets were very close to ATG- first time I've ever felt my calves touchin the hammies (with good form, anyway). I am happy.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/11/01, 12:27 AM
You're hips getting better I take it? Seems like everytime I hear from you you have gotten deeper.

--------------

Mortal by birth.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/01, 12:30 AM
Yea, man. And I owe it to you. Stretchin me out this summer did a lot of good...for a lot of things.

Also, before I get started on my sets, I do dynamic stuff, front squat position hold, and hip flexor stretch, and that seems to reaaallyy get me loose and ready. Today I was suprised, cuz my body just kept goin down haha.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/01, 12:30 AM
(I also do a simple ankle mobility drill for a little bit).

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/02, 04:29 PM
Friday, 11-2

Bench

115 x 10
115 x 10
115 x 10

27.5's x 12
27.5's x 12

Dips

Body x 5...ehh still not ready

Cable External Rotation
7.5lbs x 12
5lbs x 12
5lbs x 12

Leg Raises off bench
body x 12
body x 12

body x 14
body x 14

Much better than last week.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/05, 03:53 PM
Monday, 11-5

Pulldowns
145 x 8
145 x 8
145 x 8 (barely)
145 x 5
85 secs TBS

Seated Rows
86 x 10
86 x 10
86 x 10
55 secs TBS

Cable Scarecrows
7.5 x 10
7.5 x 10
7.5 x 10
55 secs TBS

Cable Curls
40 x 10
40 x 10 (barely)
40 x 5
55 secs TBS

done

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/07, 03:10 PM
Wednesday, 11-7

Squat
175lbs x 8
175lbs x 8
175lbs x 7
175lbs x 1...oh crap...no more

Hyperextensions
Body x 10
Body x 10
Body x 10

Standing Calf
135lbs x 10
135lbs x 10
135lbs x 10

Cable Shin Flex
10lbs x 10
10lbs x 10
10lbs x 10

done

I am able to go deep with a narrower stance, like shoulder-width or slightly wider. I was planning for 4x8, but as you can see, didn't happen. I guess considering I never squatted so deep, I probly shouldn't have expected to have increased total reps while increasing poundage by 20. I think I was really close to hurting myself today (my 7th rep on the third set was like 1/2 goodmorning 1/2 squat), but I am learning.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/07, 11:15 PM
Yikes. Lower back killin me tonite. Way to go, retard.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/12, 02:50 PM
Monday, 11-12

Pulldowns
145lbs x 8
145lbs x 8
145lbs x 8 (barely)
145lbs x 5...6 came down to top of the head
85 secs TBS

Seated Rows
84lbs x 10
84lbs x 10
84lbs x 10
55 secs TBS

Cable Scarecrows
7.5lbs x 10
7.5lbs x 10
10lbs x 10
55 secs TBS

Cable Curls
40lbs x 10
40lbs x 10 (barely)
40lbs x 6
55 secs TBS

Swiss Ball Crunches
body x 20
body x 15

45 seconds both times

done

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/10, 08:33 PM
Friday 11-9

Bench

130 x 8
130 x 8
130 x 8
130 x 8

30's x 10
30's x 6
30's x 4

Cable External Rotation
5lbs x 10
5lbs x 10
5lbs x 10

Leg Raises off bench
body x 10
body x 10
body x 10

body x 16
body x 14

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/14, 10:59 PM
Wednesday, 11-14

Squat
175lbs x 8
175lbs x 8
175lbs x 8
175lbs x 8

Hyperextensions
Body x 10
Body x 10
Body x 10

Standing Calf
135lbs x 10
135lbs x 10
135lbs x 10

Cable Shin Flex
10lbs x 10
10lbs x 10
10lbs x 10

done

That's more like it

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/19, 11:52 PM
Friday 11-16

Bench

130 x 8
130 x 8
130 x 8
130 x 8

30's x 10
30's x 8
30's x 5

Cable External Rotation
7.5lbs x 10
7.5lbs x 10
7.5lbs x 5

Leg Raises off bench
body x 10
body x 10
body x 10

body x 18
body x 18

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/19, 11:55 PM
Monday, 11-17

Pulldowns
156lbs x 8
156lbs x 8
156lbs x 5
156lbs x 5
156lbs x 4
80 secs TBS

Seated Rows
96lbs x 10
96lbs x 10
96lbs x 10
50 secs TBS

Cable Scarecrows
12.5lbs x 10
12.5lbs x 10
12.5lbs x 5
50 secs TBS

Cable Curls
45lbs x 10
45lbs x 5
45lbs x 5
50 secs TBS

Swiss Ball Crunches
body x 20
body x 20

45 seconds both times

done

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/26, 05:44 PM
Monday, 11-26

Pulldowns
156lbs x 7
156lbs x 7
156lbs x 6
156lbs x 4
156lbs x 3
80 secs TBS
(last weeks log was a typo. the two 8s should be 7s)

Seated Rows
96lbs x 10
96lbs x 10
96lbs x 10...cheated a lil at end
50 secs TBS

Cable Scarecrows
12.5lbs x 10
12.5lbs x 10
12.5lbs x 5
50 secs TBS

Cable Curls
45lbs x 10
45lbs x 10
45lbs x 5
50 secs TBS

Swiss Ball Crunches
body x 20
body x 10
body x 5 (lactic acid kicks my ass on those)
45 seconds both times

done

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/28, 04:15 PM
Wednesday, 11-28

Squat
185lbs x 7
185lbs x 7
185lbs x 7
185lbs x 7
185lbs x 4

Hip Flexion
80lbs x 10
80lbs x 10
80lbs x 10

Hyperextensions
Body x 10
Body x 10
Body x 10

Standing Calf
170lbs x 10
170lbs x 10
170lbs x 10

Cable Shin Flex
10lbs x 10
10lbs x 10
10lbs x 10

done

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2007/11/30, 04:05 PM
Friday 11-30

Bench

140 x 7
140 x 7
140 x 7
140 x 4
140 x 2

30's x 10
30's x 5
30's x 5

Cable External Rotation
10lbs x 10
7.5lbs x 10
12.5lbs x 5, 5-second eccentrics

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 of 2 pages