Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

running

LisaC1983
LisaC1983
United States
2006/05/17, 07:16 PM
I love to run, but it seems like almost every time I do I get side stitches and they are so painful that I have to stop. I used to have a personal trainer and I have tried everything and nothing has worked...any suggestions?
law_student
law_student
United Kingdom
2006/05/18, 07:40 AM
Trying running slower (make sure you are able to hold a conversation while running) and slowly build up your endurance (never increase your run from week to week by more than 10 %). An old track coach of mine used to tell us to run through the stitch; it will go away and you'll get a burst of energy (as much as I hate to say it, it's true). If it is so painful that you must stop running, then you should walk for a minute or so and then give the run another go. You're just out of shape.

I am just starting to run again and I get stitches wicked bad, but they are beginning to go away. I'm a sprinter so it's hard for me to run slowly, but I'm learning to really enjoy a nice long (slower) run without stitches!
law_student
law_student
United Kingdom
2006/05/18, 07:47 AM
Also, make sure you are hydrated. Most importantly (I cannot believe I forgot this one in my first post) make sure you are breathing properly! In through the nose, out through the mouth (if you're huffing and puffing, you're running too hard). When you breathe out, make sure your stomach goes in and not out (push out the stale air in your lungs).

Hope this helps.
gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2006/05/25, 11:07 AM
run through it. running for distance is more mental than it is physical for most decent health individuals.