Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

hypoglycemic

lzbth
lzbth
United States
2006/04/16, 04:40 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm kind of new here and to this whole weight loss stuff so please bear with me.:big_smile:
Ok, heres the question I need an answer for. I went to my doctor not too long ago for dizziness and headaches and was diagnosed with hypoglycemia. The doctor kind of gave me a "catch-22". She told me I need "more sugar" thats in her words, and I need to lose weight. Now granted, I know I need to lose weight, I'm 5'2 and 220lbs. But can anyone point me to a site or give me a heads up of some foods that won't leave me with the dizziness and stuff but will also help me with this weight loss??
Thanks,
lzbth

--------------
Bet me a dollar I can\'t do something, and I\'ll be a dollar richer.
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/04/16, 04:51 PM
You can use the fit buddy search engine at the bottom of the page but this site might be more what you're looking for.

http://www.hypoglycemia.org/

--------------
Mike
in Pensacola Now.
mysticgraces
mysticgraces
Canada
2006/04/17, 07:48 AM
Hi
Iam hypoglycemic as well,your dr was right about the sugar,but only slightly...processed sugars and natural sugars set up the same low blood sugar reaction in your body....so neither one is better than the other

I have given up sugar as much as I can...processed and natural(honey etc) I get my glucose from fruit and vegtables sources.

A diet that will help yu control your sugar levels and help you loose weight is one that is balanced in protein/carbs/fat Eating 6 smaller meals a day helps alot,because it keeps your insulin levels steady,and there arent any abrupt highs or lows

You have to follow a strict regime in order to get this under control...Here is what works for me

1.Eat every 3 hours..Breakfast,snack,lunch,snack,dinner,snack.

2.Eliminate ALL REFINED SUGARS and stay away from high GI foods,such as grapes,bananas,any fruit that tastes really sweet,and stick to fruits,like apples,pears,mangos,anything that has a fairly fibrous skin....Getting rid of refined sugars is very important,and this includes honey,and fruit juices It means checking food labels more often,but its worth it.

3.Stick to whole grains,protein,veg and some fruit...Protein is very important to hypoglycemics...it takes longer to digest and so doesnt cause a glucose rush.

4.Eat breakfast within 1 hour of waking...this is important..your blood sugar is lowest in the morning and you need to bring it back up...whole grain cereal,protein shake,apple.

5.Eat protein/carb before you work out and again after you work out,perhaps some cheese/apple.

6.Take a chromium GTF or chromium picolinate supplement daily.

Your body is responding to years of filling it with crap...its had enough and is now forcing you to change your eating habits...it took me 6 months of changing my lifestyle to go without a episode..but I have achieved it.And because I NEVER want to have another low blood sugar episode I will stick to these diet changes like glue
lzbth
lzbth
United States
2006/04/17, 05:39 PM
Thank you both for your help. No one has explained this to me where I actually understand it, mystic..Thank you.
nutrovitasub
nutrovitasub
United States
2006/07/19, 06:52 AM
Chromium GTF :
GTF Chromium is a complex known as Glucose Tolerance Factor and is made by fermenting nutritional yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) with chromium. GTF Chromium facilitates the transport of glucose into cells by insulin.

For GTF Chromium Products :
GTF Chromium :
http://www.nutrovita.com/productdetail.asp?pid=1645

For More Information :
http://www.nutrovita.com
Health Articles :
http://www.nutrovita.com/sp/artindex.asp