Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Need advice

russer
russer
United States
2006/03/07, 08:10 PM
Hi
I just have a question. I know its unhealthy, but i really need to lose at least 50lbs by the end of may (its mar 9th now). I know that means i'm going to have to do some serious calorie cutting and exercise. I've already started my diet, Im only 2 days into it. For the last 2 days, i've gone to the gym and burned between 800-1000 calories both days. I've also been eating <500 calories each day (the calories come from herbal tea, fresh fruit/veggie juice, raw fruits/veggies). If i keep this up for the next 11 weeks, is it convcievable for me to expect to lose at least 50lbs?
thanks for the help!
russer
russer
United States
2006/03/07, 08:12 PM
whoops..typo...mar 7th now :)
Nyxtikal
Nyxtikal
United States
2006/03/07, 08:47 PM
eatin less is a common mistake that ppl do while trying to lose weight........in your case you need to eat more than you are eating.....small meals every 2-3 hrs to keep your metabolism up so that your body naturally burns more calories. that should be a start, there are other ppl on here that are a lot more knowledgable about diets that should be able to help you out more
russer
russer
United States
2006/03/07, 09:59 PM
thanks for the advice...i am trying to keep my metabolism up...im eating every few hours...but very small meals, like an apple or a cup of fresh juice or a salad, im exercising for like 30mins-1hr two times a day which should also bring up my metabolism, and im taking caffeine pills 2x a day.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/03/08, 01:09 AM
Where should we send flowers too?

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/03/08, 09:33 AM
Russer, eating <500cal per day may help you loose wt quickly, but in an extremely unhealthy manner. You will end up looking flabby and gaunt and chances are you'll gain it all back very quickly. No one here will encourage what you are doing. The recommendations for healthy wt loss is 1-2lbs per week so in 3 months you'd be looking at about 25lbs. If you've just started working out and drastically cut your calories, you're body will react like you're in starvation mode. You will not be able to maintain this and you're going to feel like crap. Check out the info on this site and get yourself into a good exercise program with balanced nutrition to support it. You didn't put this wt on in 3 months, it'll take hard work--and time--to get it off! Good luck and I hope you educate yourself on proper diet and exercise!!

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
russer
russer
United States
2006/03/08, 10:53 AM
I know that it's very bad for me. I said that flat out. Thanks for the advice, but I'm not asking for encouragement. I just want to know if it's reasonable for me to expect to lose that much weight in that short a time, even if I will, in all liklihood, regain it. Im in a bit of a tough spot right now to say the least and I don't really have much choice but to lose as much as I can as soon as I can. If it's of any colsolation, I do plan on putting myself on a more balanced and healthful diet and exercise routine after May.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/03/08, 11:02 AM
Number one: this forum is for those dealing with obesity and such, are you obese?
Number Two: I and most likely all the others will not help you do something that can kill you.
Number Three: post this in another forum and you might get more answes, but probabaly the same one.
Why do you need to lose so much in such a short time frame

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/03/08, 03:27 PM
Total agreement with mutt. What is so important that's making you want to jeopardize your health in order to lose the weight?

--------------
Hungry and mean!
russer
russer
United States
2006/03/08, 05:29 PM

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:

Number one: this forum is for those dealing with obesity and such, are you obese?
Number Two: I and most likely all the others will not help you do something that can kill you.
Number Three: post this in another forum and you might get more answes, but probabaly the same one.
Why do you need to lose so much in such a short time frame

=============

1. Yes I am obese (5'5, 198lbs)
2. I am not asking for help killing myself. I just want to know whether or not following this diet would result in the amount of weight I want to lose in the time I have.
3. What other section would I post this in for more replies?

I'd rather not say what my reason is for needing to do this, as it is very personal. You'll just have to take my word that it's very important.
LukasRL
LukasRL
United States
2006/03/08, 09:59 PM
I know i dont know why you are on this diet. But i used to be a wrestler and i kinda have experienced having to lose weight fast due to weight classes. I have never lost as much weight as you are looking to lose. I was surving on a bagle a day. I was tired all day. My workouts were SUB SUB SUB par. I was weak. As i said i dont know why you are trying to lose so much so fast and thats your own deal im just saying heres some things you can look forward to on the path you are on.
Fatigue and loss of energy
Hypotension (low blood pressure)
Dizziness due to low blood pressure
Fine hair growth on body (lanugo hair)
Hair loss
Pins and needles (parathesia due to changes in the peripheral changes in the nervous system
Brittle nails and fragile bones due to low calcium
Increased vulnerability to osteoporosis
Anaemia and pale skin due to low iron levels
Easy bruising
Cramps
Ulcers
Susceptibility to cold due to loss of insulation
Edema (tissue swelling from water) due to electrolyte imbalances
Cessation of menstruation
Strain on most of the bodies organs
Thyroid dysfunction
Irregularity in the secretion of growth hormone
Potential kidney failure
Urinary tract infections
Chronic indigestion
Potential liver failure
Osteoporosis

it really doest seem worth it. Just my 2 cents.

--------------
There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy and short and one is hard and long. The only satisfaction one can get out of the first is that it was easy, and many people have gone this way. Even the greatest journy begins with a single step, and to take the path less taken gives awsome bragging rights. Moral of this story, The main cause for failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want at the moment.
russer
russer
United States
2006/03/09, 12:00 AM
OK..I appreciate the concern from everyone. I'm well aware of the risks involved. Honestly I'm in a really tight spot and this is the much lesser of two evils. I just want to know IF I can expect to lose at least 50lbs if I do what i described earlier (few calories, stimulants, exercise). Please, if anyone has an answer, or any ideas on a way to lose it any quicker (aside from surgery), then post. Again, thank you for the information and concern, but I've already done a fair amount of research on the risks involved and I understand and accept them.
mysticgraces
mysticgraces
Canada
2006/03/09, 06:37 AM
Russer

I understand your desire to loose weight fast,I think people that are overweight all had that desire at one time or another.This website is geared to helping people loose weight and gain muscle in a healthy,responsible way and so I can understand why certain members don't advocate your method of weight loss.

Yes you can probably loose the weight you want in the time you want,and you have been warned of the risks involved..

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/03/09, 10:35 AM
NO I do not think losing that much is possible. I think what ever reason you have is not worth the risks involved. Trying to lose that much at the very least can cause joint and ligament injuries and worst case kill you.

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!

mysticgraces
mysticgraces
Canada
2006/03/09, 03:20 PM
Mutt-Yes it is possible,people on the Atkins diet do it all the time.It is very risky with great side effects,but it can be done
mysticgraces
mysticgraces
Canada
2006/03/09, 03:21 PM
I digress,,I didnt mean to say Atkins I meant to say Dr Bernstein diet