Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

1 pound at a time...

Zaboo2
Zaboo2
United States
2006/01/08, 11:34 PM
Well i finished my first 8 week session of weight training and eating better. Actually i have been eating better since beginning of september where i weighed 324 pounds. Due to my hectic schedule i am only able to fit in 3 lifting days a week but i have been able to make it work. I guess this is like a status update. Overall i feel alot better but have to admit that i'm starting to see some success makes it hard to not want too much too fast. in fact from reading im suppose to take a "break" this week from weight training to rest my muscles. Its difficult cause i want to keep going but i think its better in the long run if i do.

THE GOOD
i have lost a total of 45 pounds so far (279 now). Still 29 to go for my current goal.
i found that i actually enjoy weight lifting. Muscles are starting to show a bit and people are starting to compliment.
i'm on my last hole on my belt :)

THE BAD
I have not been doing much cardio lately. Luckily the weight training is still helping me keep the calories burned but i think i need to do more cardio.

Man is this slow moving. Maybe its just now that i see some progress i want to step it up. I need to be patient

Clothes are a bit too baggy. guess it was inevitable...

KEYS TO SUCCESS - at least for me anyway
drinking ALOT of water
watching my fat/surger intake
keeping track of my calorie intake
eating at least 5 meals a day
controlled cheating :)

OVERVIEW
i posted this here in hopes others who are obese (man i hate that word) can read and get encouragement. This is not easy. It's painfully slow. But results do happen and as a nice bonus for me is i feel alot better. my mood has increased for the positive and a general well being is felt. Self esteem is definitely better but i'm much more critical of the fat on my body then i was. i guess i feel its something i can control where before it was just something i accepted. Oddly the only energy increase i ever gained was on days i did not lift *shrug*
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/01/09, 11:19 AM
Congratulations zaboo2!! You've alot to be proud of...45lbs in 5 months is awesome and you're likely to keep it off. Keep up the great work and go out and buy yourself some new clothes:)

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2006/01/09, 12:41 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! :big_smile:

Thank you so much for posting your update, it was VERY encouraging to me and I am sure others that read it, I just ask that you keep coming and sharing with us, I am going through a long road before I get to my goals and it is SO encouraging, as you mentioned you hoped it would be, to see someone that is attaining their goals and in a healthy manner!!

You should be so proud of yourself, I mean 45 pounds is a lot and that is just excellent! I think one of the hardest things about losing weight is that you feel so alone, even though there are thousands upon thousands doing it, you still feel so alone in your battle and it can seem so impossible, but when I read people's successes it gets me motivated and happy to know that it ISN'T impossible!

Please come back here and share more and know that you have made some great progress! I can't wait for BAGGY PANTS!!

HUGS to you! Veda

--------------
Veda
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)
Just live life and enjoy it!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/01/09, 07:51 PM
Congratulations on your success. You are an inspiration to many on here. Keep up the nice work and please do keep us posted on your success.

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan

Montreal Canada
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/01/09, 08:12 PM
I'd like to add my congratulations to the others. Literally dozens of folks post a few times and then disappear. It's refreshing to see someone achieve their goals and you're right. It should inspire others.

--------------
Mike
in Pensacola Now.
Zaboo2
Zaboo2
United States
2006/01/12, 11:43 AM
thx all for your support. Im more of a lurker on these forums but till i'll try to update every month or two.

I did forget one other key to success and that is getting plenty of sleep. When im tired im more likely to say screw it and grab whatever i want. Willpower takes energy for me, and when im sleepy i do not feel like doing what i should do. Rather i do whatever i want...
Zaboo2
Zaboo2
United States
2006/02/06, 12:47 PM
Status update.

Ive done well this last month and things are shaping up well. Still no where near where i want to be but getting more complements which always helps :) ...and today i think i might have actually seen a bicep when i was working out. He was trying hard to poke through all the fat but i think i actaully saw the top. lol

Anyway the stats (note to self to keep better stats):
ive lost 9 pounds during this 4 week period. lost 2 pounds each week and 3 the last week. Hard to keep it at two when im so motivated. I know it's a marathon but when you get a second wind during the middle its hard to hold back...

Keys to success:
Nothing new here. read above for my keys

Clothes Issue:
it seems a couple people got a chuckle out of my baggie pants so i decided to buy some new clothes.

-Bought 3-4 new shirts (only XL instead of 2XL/3XL) which fit well.

-Bought a new belt(size 42). Now i have a whole new set of belt holes to go through :) That part is fun for me.

-2 pairs of pants which dont fit :( lol i bought them too small. (size 40). i can actually get in them but not comfortable at all. I'm hoping sometime over the next month i should fit into them. lol nothing is easy but at least its motivation.

I feel physically better then anytime i can ever remember and am lighter then i have been in 15+ years.

My Goals for next month:
-Eat more vegetables (need 2-3 more servings a day)

-Cardio (3 cardio sessions on top of weights a week) i tend to skip my cardio :(

-Add another meal each day. at 5 now. Walnuts before bed seem to be working...

-Keep up my vegetables, meals, and cardio on the weekeneds.

-Stay motivated! Last year i quit in February. Dont let it happen! Always a tough month for me.
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/02/06, 08:28 PM
Way to go zaboo!
Keep your steam going...February's just another month. Don't start making excuses so early in!
STICK TO YOUR GAOLS BABY!

--------------
Seize the day!
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/02/06, 08:33 PM
GOALS...STICK TO YOUR GOALS!

--------------
Seize the day!
chellie1234
chellie1234
United States
2006/02/07, 12:06 AM
Look at it this way. February IS a short month. Hang in there for a little bit longer, it will be March in no time. :big_smile:
flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/02/07, 09:12 AM
Good stuff zaboo2....If you hang in there thru Feb, just think how great you'll feel in the spring when the jackets start to come of...and then summer is just around the corner. It will be soooo worth it:big_smile:

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2006/02/07, 02:47 PM
You won't quit, you have come to far!! Baggy pants and all! I am right there with you, I have 55 pounds to go so you are not alone!!! Let's make February AWESOME!!

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
raiderfanusa
raiderfanusa
United States
2006/02/09, 05:48 PM
Congrats Zaboo. You should indeed be very proud of yourself. It is inspireing to see you do so well. I too have been on the journey down from 296 and WAY outta shape to now 240 and lookin and feeling better. I love this site because people like you choose to share your success with us which helps up continue our journey with a little more skip in our step. Great support like Veda is what kept me comming back here for encoragement. I also now make it a point to share my success and encourage others. Keep it up. You Rock......... love the baggy pants...... LOL
Ed

--------------
"Do the right Things" and "Do Things Right". You will succeed.
Zaboo2
Zaboo2
United States
2006/03/12, 07:30 PM
status update

Well i got through my most hated month with flying colors. During this period (2/6/6-3/12/6) i lost a total of 10 pounds. Losing weight seems to come off much easier for me now. In fact a bit too easy at times. One week i lost 4 pounds without even trying too hard. I immediately made sure i ate well the next week and only lost 1. I am trying very hard to keep it at only 2 pounds a week.

KEYS TO SUCCESS
everything posted above
eating more vegetables
enjoying to exercise

THE GOOD
Ive lost a total of 64 pounds so far.
Many people coming up to me complimenting me.
Able to get in my new pair of pants.
My chest and shoulders are much broader making my waist appear smaller.
Ready for another new belt i think.
Self confidence is higher then it has been on many years.
11 pounds to go!

THE BAD
Clothes situation getting bad. It was humorous at first but now getting to a point i will soon need a whole new wardrobe! Everything that i have not bought recently is baggy. lol somehow i feel im not gonna get much pity here...

As i get closer to my goal the more i realize i will have more work to do after my goal. Probably will need to lose an additional 25+ pounds.

Constantly sore from exercising.

ADDITIONAL STATS (thx to fittogether.net)
lost 5.5 inches in waist
lost 1.5 inches in the thigh
lost 10 pounds

Ok I've come to the unscientific fact that this building muscle to but this idea of building muscle to burn fat must really work.

When i started this i had to bust my behind and be constantly on myself to make sure i lost 2 pounds each week. Now it seems to just come off almost naturally. Sure i watch my diet and perhaps even the changes i made to my lifestyle (enjoy exercising now) have definitely have helped but it just seems alot easier.

Goals for next period
All goals from above and too just enjoy the exercise and clean living.
LukasRL
LukasRL
United States
2006/03/12, 09:01 PM
Congrats bro thats awsome. Very inspirational
MannyMaster
MannyMaster
United States
2006/03/13, 01:27 PM
I am soooooo proud of you! You are an inspiration to us all. I'm very happy for you, the transformation you're going through is awesome. It gives me hope, it has been very difficult for me also to be patient. :)

--------------
"One Ring to rule them all; One Ring to find them; One Ring to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them." -LOTR Trilogy
akia2006
akia2006
United States
2006/03/31, 10:47 AM
I am very happy for you. Kept up the good work. Maybe in about 5 months I will have some good news on weight loss.:(
Zaboo2
Zaboo2
United States
2006/05/07, 01:26 AM
STATUS UPDATE
I did it!
i have now officially lost my entire goal of 75 pounds

KEYS TO SUCCESS
drinking A LOT of water (big one)
watching my fat/sugar intake
keeping track of my calorie intake
eating at least 5 meals a day (another big one)
controlled cheating
eating more vegetables
enjoying to exercise

THE GOOD
I've lost a total of 76 pounds so far.
Many people complimenting me. Actually i get a lot of people asking me for advice.
Able to get in size 38 pants (with ease). thinking of trying some 36s. Wore 46 way back in September when i started.
My chest and shoulders are much broader making my waist appear smaller.
Ready for another new belt i think. I seem to be going through belts every couple months.
Self confidence is higher then it has been on many years.
I accomplished something i never thought i could!

THE BAD
Clothes situation is bad. I can't wear much i used to back in Sept. Pants i wore back then will fall right to ankles without a belt. Even shirts are big.
Been exercising a lot and left knee has been complaining due to constant stress. Trying to keep exercising as much as possible and keep knee from complaining too much.
As i get further down in weight the harder it is to lose. i keep having to lower calorie intake :(
Still a ways to go before I lose all my noticeable fat.
Constantly sore from exercising.

ADDITIONAL STATS (thx to fittogether.net) since 3/1/6
Starting Weight 324.6 pounds
Current Weight 248.8 pounds
Lost 15.6 pounds
Neck loss .50 inches
Chest loss .50 inches
Abdomen loss .50 inches
Hips loss 3 inches
Thigh loss -1.25 inches
Knee loss .50 inches
Calf loss .50 inches
Forearm loss -1 inch

SOME WEIRD STATS
Waist gained .50 inches
Body Fat gained 1.68%
Lost 16 pounds of lean body mass

Not sure why those numbers are off. I'm definitely leaner. i guess it's due to a measurement error somewhere. The thought i may be losing muscle is scarring me though.

NEW GOAL
Make it to a 224 pounds. That will make an even 100 on overall goal. To get all noticeable fat off me I'm thinking I'll need 205-210 but going to reevaluate at 224.

ADDITIONAL NOTES

I'm no one special. I'm just the average Zaboo working my way through life like many of you. If someone like me can lose this kind of weight there is no reason that you can't (assuming your obese). Hopefully posting my results can inspire others to keep going. I'll admit it's not always easy but it can be done!

I could not have done any of this without the use of this web site and the kind inspirational and supporting members on it. Thank You!
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/05/07, 01:37 AM
Very nice to hear your realizing your goals zaboo. It is an inspiration to all to say the absolute least. Keep up the great work and continue to keep us posted.

--------------
Blow Up The Outside World-Chris Cornell