Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Im 16, 5'6 and i weigh 260

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/01/01, 07:51 AM
First you have to actually go and exercise. To hell with the skinny people! Just go and get started and forget them!

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
wendywu
wendywu
United States
2005/12/31, 11:14 PM
Im 16, 5'6" and I weigh 260. I really want to lose weight but I cant get motivated. I have a gym membership but I go and see all these skinny people and get discouraged. If anyone has any ideas on how I could start losing weight please let me know.
yadmit
yadmit
Canada
2006/01/01, 10:43 AM
Mutts right! Just go do it... I think we sometimes forget those in the gym that are 'skinny' were once out of shape, too... don't worry about them... just start exercising.

You can snag a program off this site for starters!

Welcome to FT!

t

--------------
I am training for birthdays.

Be here. Live. Love. Hope. Now. Faith. Believe. You. - Keith Urban

Lonegirl
Lonegirl
Canada
2006/01/02, 11:43 AM
The "skinny" people are often so wrapped up in themselves that you wont even be noticed...go and proudly workout and know your are doing it for you....You may even meet friendly people who were once in your position....I will always give an encouraging smile to someone I know who isn't confident and is struggling with the fact that they are there. :)
babyg25
babyg25
New Zealand
2006/02/02, 08:44 PM
i was exactly the same 4 yrs ago (but older than u lol) like everyone says just do it. i too an 5ft6 and WAS 260lbs and the hardest thing for me was to walk into the gym. sometimes i'd drive to the gym and wait in the carpark then drive home. you could try taking someone with u for a while. i use to go with my sister who WAS half the size of me and beamed confidence. you will realise that most people are there to look at themselves rather than anyone else in the gym lol. honestly the best thing you can do is just hold your head high and go for it.

baby:)
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/02/02, 09:58 PM
Wendywu, first things first. Get a solid diet in place. You can defintily get to where you want to be, you just have to go about it in logical manner. With a good diet in place your going to drop the weight week after week, remember it doesn't happen overnight. As far as skinny people at the gym go, don't worry about 'em. As most have mentioned in one way or another, they were also once out of shape or they're actually the opposite of what you think, they're supportive. If you start going consistantly you'll see who's there to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I am by no means big or little. It's just a natural reaction to be intimidated when you go to the gym at first. I remember I was at first and was pleasntly surprised at the acceptance I was given. If your there to be serious and don't act like your better than everyone else people are generally very good hearted because you are sharing a common interest. For most of us there will always be someone there in better shape than us, with that being said it should be obvious to you that what I say is true. Trust me, in time your discouragement will pass and be replaced with confidence in yourself, which in turn will help you along your way. Bst of luck and welcome to FT!

--------------
Seize the day!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2006/02/03, 10:39 AM
You have great support here, it is wonderful! I agree with all the above, most people do not go to the gym to critique anyone, they are there for themselves. Most gyms have a NO nastiness rule, meaning the gym is no place to be critical of anyone, the people that are guilty of that are normally the people that are the ones frowned upon. You just go because you will learn that people will have respect for you for doing it AND many have been in your shoes! Just because someone is in great shape, doesn't mean they weren't in your position at one time! And, again, this is for YOU, so hold your head up and go enjoy yourself, enjoy the pride you will have when you walk in each time knowing that you are one step closer to reaching your goals!!

And, as Mojo_67 said, nutrition is vital and you will find much better successes when you implement a good diet. I lost 12 pounds so much easier than when I did mainly exercise alone and just replaced some things here and there and neglected to continually keep a check on my calories/fat/carbs, it has been a much easier and rewarding lifestyle now that I have put everything together!

Good luck to you, really, you can do it and you have NOTHING to get discouraged about as this is ABOUT YOU NOT THEM! If you like you can always start doing some work at home, too, but don't be intimidated by "skinny" people, they may have had to work hard to get where they are or stay where they are, too!

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
spyboarder6996
spyboarder6996
United States
2006/02/07, 10:55 PM
When I go to my gym, I just look them all in the eye and think to myself at least im doing something about it. Look at all the other obese people you see at mcdonalds. I think the first place I would want to be/ or see an obese person is the gym getting healthier and living a longer life
Mojo_67
Mojo_67
United States
2006/02/07, 11:15 PM
Well said spy!

============
Quoting from spyboarder6996:

When I go to my gym, I just look them all in the eye and think to myself at least im doing something about it. Look at all the other obese people you see at mcdonalds. I think the first place I would want to be/ or see an obese person is the gym getting healthier and living a longer life
=============

--------------
Seize the day!
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/02/09, 02:39 PM
Maybe it's just me but I tend to have a great deal of respect for anyone in the gym regardless of size, age, shape...doesn't matter to me. If I saw that you were working out and trying then you can rest assured that I'll speak with you just like I speak with the bodybuilder or the cardio bunny. I think most people are like this in the gym...and if they're not then it's not someone you need to concern yourself with.

Guarantee you if you can stick it out a month you'll see your self esteem shoot through the roof and then it won't matter who is there.

Also as it was said before...many of the people there weren't any different from you at one time or another.
sst0cki
sst0cki
United States
2006/02/09, 04:57 PM
If your there working out and busting your balls then you belong in a gym. The reason why many people including myself do not like obese people in the gym is becuase most of them do not workout, they go there, sit around a machine and talk for hours, they dont lift they just go for the social event. Dont matter your size or shape, if your there busting your balls then you belong
spyboarder6996
spyboarder6996
United States
2006/02/09, 11:38 PM

============
Quoting from sst0cki:

If your there working out and busting your balls then you belong in a gym. The reason why many people including myself do not like obese people in the gym is becuase most of them do not workout, they go there, sit around a machine and talk for hours, they dont lift they just go for the social event. Dont matter your size or shape, if your there busting your balls then you belong
=============

agreeing to disagree, i can understand if people are hogging a machine they are annoying but you make it sound like all the obese people sit there and dont work out. Truth be told, at my gym more skinny people are sitting around then obese just my opinion
sstump1
sstump1
United States
2006/02/10, 10:23 AM
spy...don't worry about anyone else. Get you an MP3 player or anything that plays music and put on some headphones. When you get to the gym, focus...keep your eye on the goal and zone everything else out around you. Bust your butt and do what you need to do for you.

While I wasn't as big as you when I started I was about 30-40 lbs overweight and about 25 lbs of that was all beer belly. Believe it or not I felt no different then you when I started. I felt out of place and uncomfortable for the first few weeks. I stuck to it and now I have the confidence that I can move mountains...well that's what it feels like sometimes when I'm doing squats or 20 minutes on the stair master.

You really need to look at your self esteem and know that the only way you will feel confident about yourself is to take care of yourself and believe in yourself. All of us here have been there at some point or another and no one here will judge you.

Go to the gym, break a sweat and work hard then come here and let us know how your workout went everyday.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Carebear820
Carebear820
United States
2006/02/15, 04:18 PM
Go for it girl! I'm in that same position right now... I'm about 5'6 and between 200-240? (havent weighed my self in forever b/c of the fear of feeling guilty)
Luckily, I just got a job at 24hr Fitness, and I am so scared b/c to work there, I feel like I have to be skinny b/c I represent the company.
Also, Dont just go by yourself, take a friend or join a dance class. There super fun!!!
Send me a mesg. sometime, I'de love to hear how your doing. Best Wishes! :)