Group: I am overweight or obese

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 381, Messages: 6449

Being overweight is a common trait these days and there is not enough help out there. Find out how you can shed those pounds and improve yourself from within.

Join group

Daily accomplishments...

Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2005/12/30, 04:09 PM
I thought I would post my daily accomplishments, like a journal, but anyone that would like to join in, please feel free when you can, I think it is helpful to try to focus on the positives rather than on the negatives --which we often do and it can be such a hinderance and a bummer!

EXERCISE: Today I walked around my four acres three times (I don't know how far that is, I'll plug on my meter next time if I can find it) and I worked out to a fun, upbeat Beachbody video. Dying to get outside more, I tried to get on my glider for a bit but only made it less than 5 minutes due to the freezing cold this morning (it is on my deck with exercise bike). I am going to try to do one more 30 minute today. Maybe I will move glider inside, leave bike out, then I have a better choice. No lifting due to some shoulder difficulties, but will continue legs tomorrow.
NUTRITION: I have decided to make things easier to follow by cutting nearly all food items that are 30% and higher of fat out, cut back on the food items that are 11-29% fat and eat a bit more of the 10% or less fat items, I think I really need to concentrate more on those items as I still enjoy cheese, milk, butter, etc. We are going to try to change all milk to skim something we have all boo-ed, but I think it may help. We do still use mayo, but we use a lot less and the lowered fat/calories and it tastes good as I could never cut eating mustard with my tuna, etc. I leave it out, though, whenever I can but I really hardly need to eat more than 1/2 tsp anyway.

Well, that is today...how was your day?

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
***When you are up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that is not submerged.
***The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2005/12/31, 01:35 PM
Today is a yuck day, the weather is yuck, my stomach is a bit yuck, I just am having a yuck day, but I am going to leave right now and go do a cardio workout of 30 minutes and do another later this afternoon/eve. Concentrating on keeping fat out of my diet today, as usual. I am yearning for nicer weather, I am not a cold weather person and basically hibernate through the winter, luckily it is shorter here in the south than the north where I grew up, so there will be days here and there I can enjoy canoeing, tennis and some hiking. Happy New Year to all, I am cutting myself back to ONE glass of champagne this year and no cheese and crackers!

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
***When you are up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that is not submerged.
***The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2006/01/01, 11:24 PM
Walked the four acres, did glider for 10 and bike for 10, got 40 minutes continual cardio in today, ate good!
kaiaw
kaiaw
United States
2006/01/05, 10:36 PM
Canoeing, tennis, hiking...... I'm so jealous..... I live in North Dakota and won't be seeing anything but snow for months yet! Glad to see you're back- I don't know if you read any older posts but people were looking for your posts. Sounds like you are doing well with your lifestyle changes- keep it up!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2006/01/06, 07:00 PM
HI Kaiaw! Thank you for your encouragement! Nope, I hadn't read any older ones, but it is good to be back!

I know what you mean with the cold, been to North Dakota, I lived just below Canada by Duluth, you probably know about where that is, C O L D! I swear some of my chub came from having to have extra insulation, lol!! We had a couple nice days and then last night the cold set in, so no outside stuff for me, my asthma kicks in too much in the cold weather.

I shot the fireworks on the "South" Dakota/Minnesota bridge one year, it was awesome, scary as get-out, but awesome!

Hope to keep seeing you!!

UPDATE: Well, I have worked out every day since my last post but one, and did good eating other than one day I decided to have more pizza than I should have, and even though I try not to eat anything but good stuff on my cheat day, just a bit more calories, I decided to use it as my cheat. I had done good the rest of the day and my calories amounted to what they should have, but the fat was more than I wanted.

Salad tonight, been sticking to the 1% or skim milk, diet pop, water, etc., so that is alrighty.

October 6, 2006 is my goal to have my weight down and be where I want, it should have been down there by now and that is disappointing, but I haven't gained anything, I have kept off what I lost I just need to finish the losing part now and I am confident I will do so as I am real excited about tennis and canoeing and other outside sports coming up more and more with the nicer weather.

--------------
Veda
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)
Just live life and enjoy it!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2006/01/07, 04:45 PM
Gosh it is sooooooo dead around here, I hear an eccchhhooooo!!

I have sent in my pic that was taken today to be posted, I'll keep the workout gear pic for my before pic on hand and close by to help me out. I broke the strap on the shirt and the pants are way baggy so I can't reuse them for another pic, bummer (yeah, right!), but I took one in my "normal" clothes today and the progress is coming along, slowly but surely!

I did fifty squats and 15 minutes of aerobics today, not as much, but I still have some of the day left. So far have eaten approx. 900 with breakfast, lunch and dinner, I will have my evening snack about 5:00 p.m. Staying on track good, drinking my water, no pops, less fat, etc. I had an apple and toast with just a tsp of peanut butter for breakfast, big glass of water, and a large salad with mostly greens, a tsp of shredded cheese, 1 tbsp dressing, two eggs and 1/4 cup of chicken for lunch and dinner.

--------------
Veda
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2006/01/19, 01:42 PM
It's been over a week, but I have been keeping track in a journal of my exercise and nutritional daily. I have good news to share with anyone that thinks it can't be done, I have now lost NINE pounds since Dec. 30th!! I had actually thought I may have gained as my son and I had a cheat day yesterday and I ordered a cheeseburger, even though I fit it within my daily calories, I think I will always FREAK when I eat something like that, so I reluctantly got on the scale just to peek (I'm trying to not weight but once a week and just as a tool and not as a affirmation of my self worth)....I have lost a total of nine pounds with good eats and exercise and I am very excited! My average is more than the 1-2 pound a week loss, but I am sure that will level out, I just weigh enough to probably see a greater initial loss with the changes, it may be water weight, too, and I know I have a long way to go, but I now have proof that what I am doing is working. The last year I exercised a lot but didn't watch my eating habits as well as I should, now I am doing both and reaping the benefits.

Thanks for being here, FT!!

--------------
Veda
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/01/19, 02:54 PM
Good for you, Veda!!!

Nice new pic, as well!

Very motivating!

--------------
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavor.
- Henry David Thoreau

flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/01/19, 03:02 PM
Way to go Veda! 9lbs is an awesome accomplishment-typically 1 clothing size! All those little changes your making in your diet are going to add up to some major changes in the long run. I too found I could "tone up" somewhat with exercise alone, but diet is really what makes the difference, especially long term.

Keep it up!

--------------
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2006/01/31, 11:51 AM
12 pounds down now! I have been so blessed to have my son working out with me, he seems to be really soaking up this new lifestyle, which is so great! We bought a workout ball and a medicine ball now! We threw the medicine ball back and for yesterday in three different ways for a total of 350. I did light cardio on my exercise ball, some resistant work on it with the bands, did 20 min on my glider.

Today I got up and danced (shook my booty!!) for 30 minutes, then I did some work using the medicine ball, 30 squats, and I will finish the day doing 30 min on my glider, 300 medicine ball throws with my son, 15 minutes of light cardio on the exercise ball and some resistant work using the bands.

Tomorrow my son and I are visiting a new gym, a YMCA, our membership expired at the other three months ago and we need something else. We have a couple free passes to check it out. We would like to join as there are free aerobic and martial arts class besides the free weights and machines, but it is costly, so we will see!

So far I ate two banana's and a turkey sandwich with whole grain bread low, low calorie mayo, just 1 tbsp. and one diet Coke. I allow myself just one diet soda a day, the rest of my meals I drink water and throughout the day. Tonight I will have 1 cup of chicken spagetti, it isn't the best of choices but my daughter-in-law asked me to make it, so I will just have to control my portions!!

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
Zaboo2
Zaboo2
United States
2006/02/01, 12:45 PM
was wondering how things were going... grats on the 3 extra pounds! so where they come off of? i always wonder each pound where it came off at. lol i wish i could choose.

Zaboo2
Zaboo2
United States
2006/02/01, 12:46 PM
was wondering how things were going... grats on the 3 extra pounds! so where they come off of? i always wonder each pound where it came off at. lol i wish i could choose.

Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2006/02/01, 02:06 PM
I lost 11.5 inches the last measurements I took (a week ago), I lost most in my abs, hips, waist & arms, that is usually where I gain or lose first, I lost 1/2 inch at the ankles even! This time around I decided to work on cardio and diet most with some resistance work. I add weights this week now, so I am interested in seeing what happens then! I have a tendency to gain a lot of muscle (in comparison to some women) when I work out consistently, in that way my genes have been blessed, so I am looking forward to getting a glimpse of them again, lol! :big_smile: Thank you for asking, that was very nice of you!

--------------
Veda

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. - Mabel Newcomber

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success. - Napoleon Hill
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2006/02/03, 10:44 AM
Today I worked out to a new dance exercise video I got, it was a Crunch Fitness one, hard to get the steps down, but it had me sweating so that was a plus! I should get on the scale today and do measurements, but I just hate to...I may wait, I have been doing 100% of what I need to be, cardio, resistance, diet, all of it, but seeing a gain instead of a loss would be a bummer --not the end of the world, don't get me wrong, but you know how it is, you work hard and then you step on the scale and the omph goes right out of you if you haven't lost and especially if you gained even an ounce. But, I won't let it get to me, I just am really hoping for a loss!! :big_smile: I'll let you know what happens when I get up the courage!

--------------
Veda

flyonthewall
flyonthewall
Canada
2006/02/03, 10:47 AM
Hey Veda, If I were you I'd avoid the scale as well! Like you say, you know you're doing everything right so why risk feeling discouraged. Put if off for a week and keep up the great work:big_smile:
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2006/02/07, 01:23 PM
Thank you, that is what I am doing, keeping away from the scale and keeping up the work, thanks for the support, you are right! I've been this road before and know better than to think the scale is my buddy, lol!

============
Quoting from flyonthewall:

Hey Veda, If I were you I'd avoid the scale as well! Like you say, you know you're doing everything right so why risk feeling discouraged. Put if off for a week and keep up the great work:big_smile:
=============

--------------
Veda