Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

need advice on losing some belly fat

atvingiscool
atvingiscool
United States
2005/12/03, 11:19 AM
Hi all,

I am 5'2", 19 years old, 119 pounds, with a 34" waist! I have a tiny frame so if I don't suck it in all day long I look pregnant! Basically my stomach and "love handles" are the worst thing about me, but my thighs and butt could REALLY use some work too.

I eat ALOT lol.... we ALWAYS have TONS of snacks around, little debbies galore, chocolate donuts, 3 kinds of popcorn, etc... so I'm eating all the time I'm home and can't not eat when I am watching tv!

I need advice!!

This is my normal eating: I wake up usually late for class and don't have time to eat- so I usually have a small hot cocoa with whipped cream about 11 in class, and then at 12 I get home and I have a lunchable, a big salad, or cheese and crackers. I snack all the rest of the day- which leaves me too full to eat a healthy dinner- so I'll usually have like a scoop of mashed potatoes and a little corn on top and that will be my dinner. Then I will go right back to snacking on unhealthy stuff the rest of the day.

4 years ago I weighed 103, so I know I'm gaining weight. I live in the Buffalo, NY area so it's cold here 6 months of the year so during this time I do nothing in the way of exercising. We also don't have gyms around here. There is one at the college, but its always full.

I am very picky with food, because I am so used to eating 90% artificial stuff. There is no way I can eat boiled eggs for breakfast every morning, or rice and veggies every day for lunch (get sick of those both very fast).

I need something realistic. I have succeeded the past 2 weeks in my goal of no eating after 7, so thats a good sign

Maybe a smoothie in the morning with some veggies thrown in? Maybe only salads for lunch? Should I try absolutely no snacking throughout the day? Just 3 square meals?

I also need a workout plan that I can do completely in my house. I do have an exercise mat and some 3 pound weights, but nothing else.

Any suggestions?

Sarah

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2005/12/03, 12:42 PM
Check out the fitness resources on this site. They have a program for home workout.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

gangstershoes
gangstershoes
United States
2005/12/06, 10:42 AM
Eat 5-6 times a day, with small portions and healthy foods with lots of water. That will help you lower your calorie intake. Follow the home workout plan bb1fit suggested, or just goto the college gym on an off peak time.
You really just have to ask yourself if losing the belly fat is worth losing the junk food.
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/12/06, 12:44 PM
I would say deffinately drop the hot cocoa with whipped cream in the morning, or at least get rid of the whipped cream. Popcorn is fine for snacking, try getting the low fat versions, they still taste good but without the fat from the ton of fake butter. Try snacking on things like yogert, fresh fruit(apples,oranges,bananas), baked chips,raw veggies with low fat dressing..things like that. Hope this helps!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2005/12/06, 12:46 PM
Which School in Buffalo? I went to UB. ANyway depending if youlive on campus or not and or have a meal plan you can eat well. Cut out all the snack foods and eat good wholesome foods!

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
atvingiscool
atvingiscool
United States
2005/12/06, 05:38 PM
Thanks all.. near Buffalo- Fredonia State :)

What about Peanut Butter? I could eat that on everything- and its the good kind of fat- but is it too much fat?

Sarah

============
Quoting from 7707mutt:

Which School in Buffalo? I went to UB. ANyway depending if youlive on campus or not and or have a meal plan you can eat well. Cut out all the snack foods and eat good wholesome foods!

=============
CristalBelle
CristalBelle
United States
2005/12/06, 07:27 PM
Moderation is the key, even with good fats. I would try not to go overboard with it.
BIGCOUNTRY107
BIGCOUNTRY107
United States
2005/12/07, 08:58 AM
What you intake is half your battle. You must get some cardio in atleast 3 times a week for a minimum of 45 minutes each time. Make sure that the cardio you perform gets you to your target heart rate or you are may as well be walking in the park picking daisies.

--------------
BIGCOUNTRY107
atvingiscool
atvingiscool
United States
2005/12/09, 08:47 PM
lol I can do that.

============
Quoting from BIGCOUNTRY107:

What you intake is half your battle. You must get some cardio in atleast 3 times a week for a minimum of 45 minutes each time. Make sure that the cardio you perform gets you to your target heart rate or you are may as well be walking in the park picking daisies.

=============
emtfirechic2004
emtfirechic2004
United States
2005/12/14, 10:33 PM
All I have to say is throw those snack cakes and junk food away. I'm a college student too and I know about not having time to eat healthy, get to the gym, etc. but I don't make that excuse any more. Prepare your foods a day in advance. There are good protein bars that are great to take to class with you as well as fresh fruits and raw veggies. If you're on the go, skipping breakfast and all this snacking is what's keeping that little belly bulge and the love handles. Also, drink water, water, water. This will help with the bloating and will help you get rid of excess water that you may be retaining causing you to look like you're pregnant. A high fiber diet with the right combination of protein, carbs and good "healthy" fats is what you need. I haven't had a chance to really look at the diet plans here, but I usually follow a 40% protein/30% carb/30% fat diet and try to make sure you get around 25-30g. of fiber a day from fruits (especially apples) veggies, whole grains and if you like sweet potatoes, that's a great starchy carb. If you like a liquid breakfast, have you thought about a good protein shake? There's many different brands and flavors out there. I love to use Optimum Nutrition. It's great, mixes well, and it pretty inexpensive. Luna Bars and Balance Bars are good protein bars to grab and go, just don't use them too often as some have added sugars. I'm sure you have stairs at your school. Run up and down the stairs 15-20 minutes each day, walk around campus (yes, I know it's cold), whatever it takes to get you moving. You can do it. Good luck.
melindasprings
melindasprings
United States
2005/12/29, 11:51 AM
I am not an expert, but I thought snacking is a good thing rather than eating large meals...Maybe just try keeping celery w/peanut butter already made to snack on instead of a candy bar or brownie..chocolate is my weekness and completely understand the tempation, however I was once 103 myself and thought I was fat then...but after having three children, stretchmarks and about 120 added to the first hundred I have changed my viewpiont on that. If you are interested in just making yourself more healthy than go for it by choosing foods that you will be able to live with in 10 years...you dont need a "diet" you need a lifestyle change. I am also in college and have a fam. to take care of at the same time so I know it is hard to make time for food prep. when you are between classes or off to work, but having a baggy of carrot stix or something like that to munch on will help. I also do a lot of "pre cooking"...I am now learning after reading some of the message board that I need to change my ingrediants, but even still.when I make something, I make a larger amount of it and freeze what is left over so I already have a homecooked meal to nook later when I dont feel like cooking or dont have time. But at 119lbs, you are not fat and dont need to put yourself in danger by dieting too much. Maybe just try eating healthy and doing some tummy work outs to battle the bulge?
caligirl2007
caligirl2007
United States
2006/12/10, 11:25 AM
Hello everyone my name is Carrie. Last year i lost 20lbs and i'm still trying ti lose more but i can't lose my belly help please:angry:

--------------
Hugs Carrie from cali
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2006/12/11, 10:55 AM
Welcome to the site caligirl. There is some pretty good advice right above your post.