Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Ideal Weight

warped
warped
Ireland
2003/03/03, 05:21 PM
Hello everyone,
I am approximately 80 inches in height (around 6'7) and around 247 lbs. Can anyone please tell me what the ideal weight would be for a person of my height? I fell that I am about 16 lbs overweight yet I can’t help thinking that I just have to tone up rather than lose weight through dieting.
johnguy
johnguy
Canada
2003/03/03, 05:28 PM
Many test you can do. some better then others. there si the BMi test, but you need to take figure out your body fat %. You can be 6 feet high and weight 230lbs. Now a BMI test would say your not in shape. But you can be 6 foot 230lbs and be in great shape. You can get test called pinch test, etc. that will tell you your body fat %. That is a true measure. IMO. i would think most gyms could preform that test for you.
warped
warped
Ireland
2003/03/03, 05:53 PM
thanks for the help johnguy, i did a quick online bmi test at http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/bodymassindex.htm
the results confirmed my fears and it looks like i have to diet :(
============
Quoting from johnguy:

Many test you can do. some better then others. there si the BMi test, but you need to take figure out your body fat %. You can be 6 feet high and weight 230lbs. Now a BMI test would say your not in shape. But you can be 6 foot 230lbs and be in great shape. You can get test called pinch test, etc. that will tell you your body fat %. That is a true measure. IMO. i would think most gyms could preform that test for you.
=============
johnguy
johnguy
Canada
2003/03/03, 08:26 PM
Personally next week I am getting the body fat test done at the club I work out at. I have for the past (almost 2mo) getting back into fitness very serious.

Like I said the body fat is a better measure I belive. Now when I do the BMI test I have 28. However I am only looking to burn body fat, not have a set number of pounds to loose. If I stay at my current weight and have a low body fat % but lots of lean muscle I am cool with that. :) Thats why the BMI can be not right for everyone. So you need to figure out your muscle to fat your body. But I am myself looking to bulk up with lean mass.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/03/03, 09:05 PM
If you are not into bodybuilding, then think health first and foremost(well,even if you are you still should), anyway, if you are not interested in the look of a bodybuilder, then many weights can be right for you. If you are above what some would call average, this does not mean you are not healthy. If you feel good, if you are doing all the things you want to do, no ailments due to weight, then you could very well be at your bodyweight that is right for you. I hope this makes sense, but the object is to think healthy before what some media or magazine says you should be.

--------------
Failing to plan is like planning to fail!
warped
warped
Ireland
2003/03/04, 02:58 PM
I suppose my original reason for posting this question in the first instance was to justify my flabby torso appearance.Especially the stomach, oblique and chest area. I thought "toning up" would solve this problem. However, having taken both pieces of advice on board I realize I just have to get down to some serious cardio work (as well as toning up) and cut out the booze on the weekend. I feel I Have a healthy diet that consists of:
Tea and toast for breakfast, sometimes cereal
Ham sandwiches for lunch (2)
Pasta and chicken or fish every other day, I may have steak and steamed vegetables or light curry dish midweek
If I am hungry at night I may have a bowl of soup.
Twice a week I do concentrated shoulder and bicep exercises.
Every other week I do minimal stomach exercises.
If anyone has suggestions on cardio work that would be better to an individual of my size and weight it would be much appreciated.
kwacker
kwacker
United Kingdom
2008/03/25, 04:23 PM
hi all , im new to this forum and dieting at present , ive lost nearly 2 stone in 2 month , and looking to start a fitness routine soon , ive been advised to use the bleep test , is this a good idea ? .... please help....