Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

This is what I wanna know......

fan2c
fan2c
United States
2001/10/24, 02:12 PM
As a vegetarian I never seem to get enough protein. Any ideas? and how important is it to make sure Im getting enough? The diet Ft recommends: is that to maintain my weight? cause I would like to tone and lose.Cardio...I have the most energy b4 my weight routine.To burn fat is it better to do cardio after the weights? I know the best time is b4 brkfast but unfortunately that morning coffee still has a hold on me.Ok thats my 20 questions....anyone?
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/10/24, 07:12 PM
I'll start with your last question.....
I would strongly encourage you to workout in the morning. Go ahead an have your morning coffee before you workout (no food, though); that will give you an extra boost to help you through the routine. The caffeine will also help burn fat faster - honest! During morning workouts, the average person burns about 300% more fat than in the afternoon. That's huge. You'll be surprised how much energy you'll have throughout the day after you workout in the morning.
My honest opinion about the "cardio-first-or-weights-first" dilema: do weights first, after a light 10 minute cardio warm-up and 10 minutes of stretching. Don't workout with weights everyday, but do cardio everyday.
As for the protein, I would look at supplements that contain a significant amount of protein. Meal replacements like EAS Myoplex, Labrada Lean Body, etc, are excellent. Most meal replacemets now even come in the form of a 'candy' bar. You may also want to take some flax seed oil for your omega-3 fatty acids. I know it doesn't sound logical, but these fats can actually help you reduce your current body fat. And this oil is highly recommended by doctors and trainers for vegetarians.

Hope I answered all your questions!!! Best of luck to you!!
fan2c
fan2c
United States
2001/10/24, 07:22 PM
Wow Thanks for the info ..and as a matter of fact I just bought some flax meal two days ago and have been having it with cereal in the mornings. Good thing to know about the coffee and working out. I didnot know that...well that tweeks a little interest in hitting the treadmill first thing after java.How much interest..well Ill see. Your advise is always appreciated thanks so much again.Oh yeah..also I heard Labrada was a good product the last body building comp. I attended will definitly invest in some.Take Care
coolness
coolness
United States
2001/10/24, 10:07 PM
Don't forget the legume family for protein. Beans, beans and more beans. You may want to purchase Beano!! Can you have dairy products? If so cottage cheese is great. Check the grocery aisles for other high protein foods that are vegetarian. Lift hard!!

coolness...
fan2c
fan2c
United States
2001/10/25, 02:08 PM
Thanks guy...no kidding with the beans and beano...lolI do like cottage cheese but I didnt realize it was high in protein Ill check that out today. I do eat dairy and fish/seafood but am not much of a meat eater is the thing.So the average couch potato doesnt need nearly as much protein as a lifter..so if Im not getting enough while lifting is it a big concern?Should I make a point of meeting my quota??? Have a great day and the advise is always appreciated.
coolness
coolness
United States
2001/10/27, 11:36 PM
Try your hardest to meet the quota. It's hard, for sure. We might not pack on the mass as fast if we're not getting the quota of protein. We can do what we can!!:) Did you check out the cootage cheese protein values? Pretty impressive. Keep on!!

coolness...
Philia2
Philia2
France
2001/10/30, 11:15 AM
I'm a vegetarien too, and I agree with fan2c that it can be extremely difficult to get enough proteins....
A good thing though is to start the day with lots of proteins. After morning coffee and exercise try to mix 5 big white eggs with some oats and apple slices and put it all in the micro wave for around 2 mins.
I don't know about you, but for me it works.
fan2c
fan2c
United States
2001/10/30, 02:39 PM
Thanks philia2 Im not sure if that sounds tasty to me...but hey Ill try anything once..
fan2c
fan2c
United States
2001/11/01, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the advice on the cottage cheese thing. I bought some yesterday and spuced it up with cut green onions. was delicious.I didnt realize it was so high in protein or I would have tried it long ago. Thanks Coolness Take care!!