Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

circulation smoking

gelson17
gelson17
United Kingdom
2001/09/18, 03:23 PM
i am and have had bad blood circulation all of my life, and i started smoking when i was 15. could someone tell me whether either of these prevent me from having as good results as anyone else if so how? thanks!

gels
jbennett
jbennett
United States
2001/09/20, 10:53 PM
Smokers MUST consume more antioxidants than nonsmokers due to all the extra carcenogenic material smokers voluntarily place in their bodies. Bodybuilders (by my definition, that is anyone wanting to improve their overall physique, regardless of goals) also must increase their dietary intake of antioxidants to repair damaged muscle tissue. Bodybuilders who smoke will more than likely have a much more difficult time fully recuperating from excercise than nonsmoking bodybuilders. This is because the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients are needed in higher concentrations in other areas of the body besides muscle. That can result in the muscle not getting enough of the proper nutrition it needs to repair itself. The only way to stop that from happening is the either stop working out (yeah, right!) or stop smoking.

Smoking also causes blood vessels to constrict, thus increasing blood pressure. This could be an explaination as to why you have poor circulation.

Not trying to tell you how to live your life, but you may want to try kicking the habit. There are no benefits to smoking. Some say it relaxes them, but in reality it actually increases blood pressure - totally opposite effect. Best of luck to you!
MuscleRage
MuscleRage
United States
2002/01/15, 06:48 AM
Well...yes this will slow your cardio progression down a little. Smoking burns the inside of your lungs and trachea, which will cause you to loose your breath faster tham most. As long as you stop smoking and continue with your training, you will start to notice a dramatic change in your fitness. Keep with it!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/16, 03:10 AM
Yes Gelson, listen to the clever guys here.

To resume very fast, smokers have got less oxygene in the blood and you need oxygene to build muscles. SO it takes longer time to grow muscles when you smoke.....

Eh voila!

An other good thing for better blood circulation is to raise the end of the bed with 10 cm.
It'll not disturb your sleep but your legs will feel better in the mornings.
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/01/16, 02:34 PM
**trying to figure out how much 10cm is**

Ahh, in American that's about 4 inches! ;)

Ironically, my husband smokes, and he is in so much better shape than me. It makes me SO mad! Now, granted, he is 6' 6" (That's 1.95 metres for you there philia) and only weighs 160 pounds (72 kg?), while I am 5' 6", and at 184. But here I work out everyday, and he drinks at least a 6pack a day and eats junk food! Sigh, one of these days I'll be able to whoop his arse, I just know it!
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2002/01/16, 02:46 PM
Alorle, just because you outweigh him doesn't make him in "better shape." You are by far, healthier! I used to smoke (many, many years ago) and I was very thin. Why? Because smoking suppresses appetite. As far as his junk food and a 6-pack per day, that's just asking for trouble!

Anyway, in my experience, women have had a harder time losing weight than men. I guess this is physiology? I'm certainly no expert in this field.
Alorle
Alorle
United States
2002/01/16, 02:52 PM
It's not just because of that :). He can out run me, out play me, has a much greater lung capacity, but I'll get there :).

And, yes, women do have a harder time losing weight because we are the 'childbearers' of our species and have to keep a little weight on in case we become pregnant. It's also because the larger breasts and hips became a sign of fertility, so women with these traits were more often chosen as mates. Technology now allows women with small hips and breasts to reproduce without difficulty, but the genetic traits still remain causing us to hold on to our fat!
Philia2
Philia2
France
2002/01/17, 03:29 AM
First of all Alorle, men have a faster metabolism than women (partly because of the muscles) Secondly, your hubby must be Ectomorph and you perhaps Endomorph.
That's two completely different kinds of morphology that have a determinating role on how you are.

We cannot change our given morphology, but we can show it the right way to go....