Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

abs

erin4ever1990
erin4ever1990
United States
2001/07/23, 01:34 PM
Okay, I was reading the information and previous posts here about abs and how if there is fat in the area it will hide the abs and blah, blah, blah. What about other parts of your body like arms, legs, etc. Do they remain covered by fat also if you do not do cardio to burn it? If so, then the act itself of weightlifting is not burning fat????? Nor is stretching and flexing exercises? Please enlighten me!
coolness
coolness
United States
2001/08/04, 06:57 AM
Good questions that I would like answers for, especially abs!!
the_w8lifter
the_w8lifter
United States
2001/08/06, 03:45 PM
Okay, here we go. The same rules about fat apply to all parts of the body. Everyone one is ripped underneath the layers of fat on the body. Just some people have bigger muscles than others. The best way to burn fat is cardio.

Let's take a step back. A caloric deficit is the only way that the body "burns fat." What is a caloric deficit? Every person has some threshold of caloric intact needed to maintain body size. For example, if you need 2300 calories to maintain your body weight and you only consume 2200, you have created a 100 calorie deficit. Cardio burns calories creating a greater caloric deficit. When this happens the body must look to other sources of energy.

The most obvious places are the stomach for food, fat stores, and the muscles. Generally, people performing large amounts of cardio (more than three times per week) are burning food and fat.

Muscles are the last to be consumed for energy. This only occurs when all fat is gone. You may have heard that you can't get big and lose weight at the same time. People have difficulty acheiving this balance because the types of food they are consuming is being used for fuel rather than rebuilding muscles destroyed by weight training. With proper nutrition you can be lean and add muscle mass at the same time.

Why weight train then? You are burning calories while you are lifting weights. This contributes to creating the caloric deficit. More importantly though, is the resulting increase in muscle mass that comes from lifting. Muscles require more energy from the body during the day. Basically, your threshold caloric intake for maintaining weight is increased.

For example - Intake requirement=2500. Let's say you are eating well and performing cardio. Your body fat drops and your intake requirement drops. Now your intake requirement is 2300. Now your diet and your cardio equals that 2300 level. You have now plateaued and will lose no more weight without changing something. You choices are 1) eat less calories, 2) do more cardio, or 3) increase your intake requirement. Lifting weights increases your intake requirement. You have created a caloric deficit and will begin losing bodyfat once again. Plus, you look much better and have a toned look!

Got all that?? Post any question you have about the above and I will try to explain in more detail if needed.
atlboi
atlboi
United States
2003/01/12, 04:37 PM
Hi,
Good post. I'm reading everywhere you can't go in two directions at one time. I'm actually trying to get bigger (more lean muscle) without bulking up. I have recently lost 70lbs and I DO NOT under any circumstances want to get any smaller (5'10 185lbs lean muscle). Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Regards..

Chickie
Chickie
United States
2003/01/18, 06:57 PM
Thanks so much for that post !
EGChic207
EGChic207
United States
2003/01/20, 07:42 PM
WOW!!! AWSOME POST!!!

i could have never put that out in words, but im glad that U did!!!

--------------
Tiffany Der #10

"You have to make it through the rain in order to see the Rainbow........."