Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

bowflex revolution

adamW
adamW
United States
2005/07/18, 10:07 PM
whats up evernoyne, im 35 years old, just your average guy, looking to get back some of my old strength i had back in my prime, im thinkinga bout getting a bowflex revolution, but not sure whether to get one or not, ive done soem research on the maching and posted on a couple other boards ont htis forum, but im still not sure, anyone here ehard about this new machine by any chance? thanks in advance for any/all help
Luvthemtorts
Luvthemtorts
United States
2005/07/20, 06:58 PM
I have been training with the Bowflex Extreme 2 for about two months now. Before that I used a cheaper stack type machine from Dicks Sporting Goods. I can honestly say that I have had more results in the past two months than any point before with the other machine.
If you look at my profile pics the first one shows three months training on the cheaper machine. The second was taken two months after starting the Bowflex.
To sum it up I LOVE IT!!!
adamW
adamW
United States
2005/07/26, 03:08 PM
thanks for the help luvthemtorts. i think i am going to go with the Bowflex Revolution. I have heard several postiive endorsements from people on the internet who have used the bowflex and yours was by far the most impressive. i also found this article on forbes (of all places) about the one im gonna get, the Bowflex Revolution. Here's the article link:

http://www.forbes.com/businesswire/feeds/businesswire/2005/07/01/businesswire20050701005126r1.html
RollarBlondie
RollarBlondie
Canada
2005/07/26, 05:52 PM
It is great I have one and i love it its great for everyday at home workout my whole family uses it and we are planning to get another one!
Luvthemtorts
Luvthemtorts
United States
2005/07/27, 02:08 PM
No problem Adam.
I checked the link and while it does look pretty cool and cutting edge I am a bit leary of it due to the fact that it has not been tested by the "real world" yet.
I would highly recommend you at least try one before you buy since the machine may feel ackward for you personally. I tried several Bowflex models before finding one that fit me the way I felt it should. Each model had its' own little quirks and by testing them I was able to decide upon the one that fit my personal style of training the best.
I just want you to avoid making a costly mistake should it not end up being what you expected.
Best of luck to you!!
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2005/07/30, 09:36 PM
Those might help you out a little man, but your best workouts will come from free weights so my advice would be to join a gym or go somewhere where you can train with free weights.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

Luvthemtorts
Luvthemtorts
United States
2005/08/02, 03:07 PM
Ahh, a voice from the free weight camp LOL!
Many studies as well as several experts on this site will concede that resistance training done with machines works quite nicely in building and toning your body to an acceptable degree for many.
Will you have the growth of a professional body builder? Nope. Can you build an athletic body with defined muscle with a machine? Most definately! It seems those who are "in the know" agree that they certainly have their place.
Bottom line. Not everyone wants to have a massive appearance so individual goals are the true deciding factor as to what equipment is best.
meistermon
meistermon
United States
2006/01/10, 02:43 PM
Free weights vs Machines... How about a combo of both! Or one for a while (6 to 8 week program) then switch to another... The problem I had with earlier Bowflex models is the lack of resistance they provided (do an exercise with a Bowflex... when do you start to feel real resistance? Not until the last quarter of the exercise). Now with this new Bowflex, they might have solved the problem. Free weights are good because they provide greater resistance on the concentric and ecentric (the up and down) parts of the movement. However, it is my opinion as a PT that whatever works for each unique client is what is best for them. If luvthemtorts et all like the machines, by all means use them... if arondaballer likes free weights, then shazam! Whatever will get and keep the body moving! But as is the spice of life, variety will ultimately be your best bet!

--------------
MasterWorks- Creating Masterful Bodies that Work Beautifully!
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2006/01/10, 04:41 PM
I would put the "Free weights versus machines" aside and look at cost. Then decide if you are going long term or not and that is truly the way you want to go. You may be all hyped now, but a year down the road or two, will the machine be a clothes hanger? Perhaps you might consider dumbells and a bench for starters as it is the lesser investment and will give you results

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan

Montreal Canada
meistermon
meistermon
United States
2006/01/10, 05:35 PM
Carivan speaks the truth... the Bowflex Revolution is quite pricey and a pair of dumbells and bench is a great starter kit! Bowflex has a selectorized set of dumbells that lets you dial in your weight as opposed to having to switch out after every exercise (the only drawback is that they stop at 52.5 or 55 pounds, I can't remember which) and a incline/decline/flat bench is around $300 or so for a nice one (slightly cheaper at say a play it again or what not)... further, you can find loads of dumbell routines online (and probably at this site... my first day here!)... Now that being said, Carivan, have you taken a look/ test drove the Revolution? It looks nice! I would like to test drive it myself.
bicep
bicep
Canada
2006/01/11, 05:37 PM
I agree Carvian
working with free weights you’ll have more flexibility...

when I was trying bowflex at my local fitness one of the sales guys told me that if he was me he`d get a squat cage.

Also I agree that you can get results with machines but it doesn`t mean that if you use free-weights you going to be huge as oppose to machines.

I’d stick with free weights as primary equipment.
tyciol
tyciol
Canada
2007/01/22, 12:05 PM
I was actually heavily considering getting the Revolution until I heard that they 'fixed' the resistance so that it's constant, and not more at the end...

I wanted it to be more at the end! That was the whole point of bowflex, weak at the bottom, strong at the top. It made sense. It let you use very high resistances, and easily get into position. With Revolution everyone's going to have to use baby weights, and it would be more of a workout getting the weights into position than doing the exercises.

The whole point of the Nautilus cam is that is increases the resistance. As far as I can tell, is what they did is use it in reverse. The plates in the Revolution DO increase, but the Nautilus cam counteracts that to make it constant.

Honestly guys, you can all use more resistance at the top of a leg press than at the bottom right? So wouldn't it make more sense to do that? Most of us don't bend out legs much when running, so I want to work strength at that point near when the leg is straight. Where I can use maximal resistance. So what if bones take most of the force? I want strong bones primarily, muscles are secondary.
BIGKATT
BIGKATT
United States
2007/01/22, 01:37 PM
Get some free weights if you want mass and definition....

If you just want to tone and define, get a bowflex

Otherwise, save your money and get some free weights ...you'll thank me later...
conan_0822
conan_0822
United States
2007/01/24, 12:02 PM
I don't know about the bowflex. All I know is from my own experience. I get better results from free weights than I do any machine!!

Free weights also give you more options. You can go heavy with lighter reps for mass, and then lower the weights and get more reps for definitioon. You're only limited by the amount of weights you have. Eventually you'll top out with a machine and be stuck :)
tyciol
tyciol
Canada
2007/02/06, 08:57 AM
"Get some free weights if you want mass and definition....
If you just want to tone and define, get a bowflex"

What the heck are you talking about? Why would one do one and one do the other? First off, tone and define are BS concepts that make no sense. Higher resistance will build strength and muscle, both in weights and machines.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/02/06, 09:00 AM
I hate to tell you this but there are no big strength trainers (meaning very strong and big muscle size) that got like that using a machine PERIOD

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
Randy42649
Randy42649
United States
2007/02/13, 08:27 PM
I have been using a Revolution for about 3 weeks. On the one hand, Tycoil makes sense. It is different having all of the resistance from the start. However, it's not difficult to get it into position. The arms on the machine are adjustable to every exercise. Now, I don't plan to be a big strength trainer but I do plan to add a little bit of bulk. So far, the Revolution is performing wonderfully. I am already in better shape and I am growing muscle mass everywhere. This thing works out EVERY single muscle group and gives you the opportunity to specialize on any muscle. Also, because the resistance is the same throughout the entire range of motion, you won't lift the same amount of resistance as you do with free weights. If you are lifting 200 lbs of free weights, you will probably only life 140-160 pounds on the Revolution. You can load up to 300 pounds on it and that doubles for the leg press. Now, anyone that's lifting more than 300 pounds, probably wouldn't want a machine anyway. But for those of you that want to tone up, add a little bulk, or those that just work out to feel better, the Revolution is the way to go. It's adjustability makes it much better than previous Bowflex models (though some of them were very good). I love mine and it's loving me. It does come with a hefty price tag but it doesn't cost as much as a gym. It also requires a good deal of space. But it's well worth the cost to me.
Randy
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/02/14, 04:33 PM
FYI the guys in those comericals....are models....they actually fast and what not to look that cut......they are paid to be the "face" of the machine and make you want to be them. Garantee you more than likely....the use free weight most of the time....then diet down to be in a bowflex comercial.

FYI 2 ....higher reps don't do anything.....but ...make you better at high reps. To build mass....you need weight to challange the body. Then low body fat to show the 'tone"

--------------

Get your bicep curling, cut off shirt, matching workout outfit wearing,flexing in mirror "toned" wanna-be ass , out of my squat rack!

Don't talk to me, only thing that should be moving is the bar.
tyciol
tyciol
Canada
2007/08/10, 08:43 PM
Yeah, they're models, but so what? Resistance is resistance. Higher reps build endurance, and they hypertrophy the muscles. They do build mass. We're not talking a thousand reps with 20lb dumbbells here.
ravirobin
ravirobin
United States
2007/08/11, 12:03 AM
I've been debating to buy a bowflex revolution. I am a very very busy guy, and seems like that I can finish my exercises on Bowflex Revolution within 30min.

Before spending $2700, I want to know exactly what kind of exercises can be done on it & in what motion. Bowflex's informational CD doesn't give any of that information. So I thought Workout DVD that comes with the package would be ideal to see what kind of exercises can be performed on this. I contacted Bowflex, but they refused to send me a workout DVD.

Any Bowflex Revolution Owners out there, can you please send me the workout DVD that came with the system. I will pay you the shipping and I promise I will return the CD within a week.

Does anybody has any other ideas how can I find out about all the exercises
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/08/11, 12:49 PM
Tyciol show me a pic of a guy with arms over 18 in and can squat over 400 and deadlift over 400 and then show me the bowflex that he used. No one is saying it is not ok to get started or for people withno access to a gym...somethng is better than nothing. BUT these will not build even a models body.

As for high reps building mass that is a myth

--------------
Curl Jockeys, get outta the squat rack!

I wish everyone would get a partial amnesia and never use 'tone' ever again. (thanks Menance)

mikeob
mikeob
United States
2007/09/04, 01:47 AM
Does anyone have a Bowflex revolution in Los Angeles. I would like to try it before buying.
BILL06
BILL06
United States
2007/09/04, 07:43 AM
I just got the Bowflex Xtreme® 2 SE Home Gym, and im happy with it so far, its definiyely a weight loss/strength machine, its not designed for power lifting or add lots of bulk and mass. Wait till they go on sale, i think every 3 months they run specials, my gym retails for 1600, i got it at 25% off and free shipping, got it for like 1200, with the extrs 100lbs of bows, rope handle, 40lb curling bar and fitness training software...

But lets remember, you arent comparing apples for apples here, bow and free weights we meant to do different things all together. the whole theory behind the bowflew and resistance stlye training is that strength training compared to other training such as running/jogging, powerlifting, body building is a better overall way to exercise, with increased results in all of those area's including cardio, flexibility, core strenth and basic overall strength. i needed weight loss and cardio and strentgh rolled into one, compact, work at home product, and the bowflex has provided it for me, now, once i get those goals achieved and want to start bulking, ill have an awesome base to work with.

my 2 cents :dumbbell:

--------------
Get busy living or get busy dying.

Rabula Tasa- Latin meaning Clean Slate
zto
zto
Canada
2007/11/23, 10:38 PM
Many good points here.

Some points to consider in using bowflex versus free weights.

1)Due to the strength curves involved, cathecholamine release and effect on metabolism may be different and feel different. Whereas strength training increases energy and sometimes can make a person feel more aggressive, bowflex may help to calm people down, and some people may enjoy this.

There are many factors to consider in deciding to work out at a gym versus home equipment. Training at a gym may be or may not be your best option due to time available to train and many other viewpoints.

Feel free to ask me any questions as I am probably the most qualified guy on here apart from physicians or Ph.D.s. I have an MS in exercise physiology and am also a registered cardiovascular technologist.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/11/23, 11:06 PM
Yeah Zto that makes you the "most qualified" nothing like tooting you own horn on the first post.

--------------
As a quarter squatter was dominating the rack, I heard a conversation between an old powerlifter (easily in his 60\\'s) and what I would guess was his grandson (15-yrs old):

Kid: \\"So, why does he stop so short on his squats? That looks weird to me.\\"

Old PL\\'er: \\"He\\'s afraid if he squats deep, his vagina might touch the ground.\\"

7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2007/11/23, 11:13 PM
this----- 1)Due to the strength curves involved, cathecholamine release and effect on metabolism may be different and feel different. Whereas strength training increases energy and sometimes can make a person feel more aggressive, bowflex may help to calm people down, and some people may enjoy this.

IS TOTAL BS

--------------
As a quarter squatter was dominating the rack, I heard a conversation between an old powerlifter (easily in his 60\\'s) and what I would guess was his grandson (15-yrs old):

Kid: \\"So, why does he stop so short on his squats? That looks weird to me.\\"

Old PL\\'er: \\"He\\'s afraid if he squats deep, his vagina might touch the ground.\\"

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/11/24, 02:21 AM
Well I have not used a revolution....but I had the chance to play with a bowflex...what a POS.

All the talk about they have a different feel and crap..is total BS....I put all the bands on it...200lbs or somthing..and without warming up did it 12 times.

My friend whom is a girl who lives with the guy...did it 3 times....

total BS from that comercial.

My grade: try it before you buy it....if your your gonna spend 400bucks on a nice coat rack.

--------------
\\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\\"

sweeppicker
sweeppicker
United States
2008/03/10, 05:53 PM
I like working out at a gym, but I have used the Bowflex Revolution and I think its good for working out at home. You can do a alot of exercises on it.

Here's some info: http://bowflex-revolution-ft.weebly.com