Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Stability Ball

snoopy13
snoopy13
Canada
2004/10/26, 06:31 AM
I was just wondering, I know people do DB presses on a stability ball, but the other day I was thinking if you can do barbell presses on a ball? Has anyone ever done these? Is there even a exercise like this?
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/10/26, 08:27 PM
I have thought of it, never brave enough to try it. Dumbells seem a little safer to me.

--------------
....I'm probably in my underwear typing this......or maybe not!
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/10/26, 09:26 PM
Never tried it, but I think I'm going to try the Dumbell one next workout.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

2004/10/27, 01:35 AM
i have done it before...but keep in mind...u use this exercise to emphasize balance aspect...which shifts focus more on your core than chest...for that reason it would be foolish to do barbell bench press on the ball or heavy DB presses....I saw one guy at my gym do 110s on swiss ball, do half reps with bad form, and it just looked stupid as he could not really hold himself stable...I was afraid he was gonna hurt himself...so greatly reduce weight if you want to try it with DBs..and I suggest to do it as a secondary exercise...perhaps ur 2nd or 3rd exrcise for chest, as a finishing touch...Barbell Bench press is a hardcore overall upper body movement and should be done on a very stable surface like bench or floor and power rack...hope this helps gl..
snoopy13
snoopy13
Canada
2004/10/27, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I was talking to a friend at the my gym yesterday and he said he has done it before. I might try it to see how it is. Thanks again.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/10/27, 12:43 PM
I do heavy dbs........full range too....not a big deal I can actually go heaver on a ball, cause it supports my body better or somthing. I don't feel any pressure points.

--------------
....I'm probably in my underwear typing this......or maybe not!
howdiekat
howdiekat
United States
2004/10/27, 01:39 PM
snoopy you might want to try it on a smith machine instead of using a free barbell. like menace said, working on a stability ball emphasizes balance and trunk strength, and if you can't control the bar it becomes more dangerous than challenging.

--------------
i wish you ill, ice-t.

margarine is a liar who announces, "i am butter!"
snoopy13
snoopy13
Canada
2004/10/28, 12:34 PM
Thanks again for the replies. I was doing some reading on a website and someone was saying how they prefer DB's over barbell because barbell is to easy. I think I will stick with DB's.
2004/10/29, 04:10 AM
generally speaking it's not that DBs are harder it's that they provide better range of motion and perhaps allow people to work around injuries or simply provide an alternative to barbell bench...barbell bench is usually a better mass builder for chest/upper body...since you can use more weight and overload your muscles better...but I guess it's different for every1...I usually like to do DB flyes to isolate my chest or to pre-exhaust my chest for bench so I can use less weight...both incline and flat...
2004/10/29, 04:23 AM
generally speaking it's not that DBs are harder it's that they provide better range of motion and perhaps allow people to work around injuries or simply provide an alternative to barbell bench...barbell bench is usually a better mass builder for chest/upper body...since you can use more weight and overload your muscles better...but I guess it's different for every1...I usually like to do DB flyes to isolate my chest or to pre-exhaust my chest for bench so I can use less weight...both incline and flat...
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/12/03, 09:39 PM
Dumbbells also work out the stabalizing muscles needed to hold the weight straight better than a barbell. Try doing Dumbell Bench Press and when your arms are shaking from trying to stabalize the weight you'll know what I mean.

--------------
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.
steve
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/12/03, 10:49 PM
dumbells recruit more muscle fibers.......however thats geting more into body building, dumbells do help by not lettingthe other arm over compensate for the other one, each one has equal weight, no matter what.

--------------
The following, has not be approved by the FDA or FT, it was not meant to diagnose,treat,or prevent any diease(s) Please consult a moderator or doctor before using any of the suggestions or comments.

2004/12/04, 01:54 PM
Dumbells do recruit more muscles, however they require a higher degree of experience/competence....a lot of people I see tend to go down more with one side than the other or bring them up unevenly setting up for having uneven muscle and possible setting themselves for injury....but whatever works for whoever
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/12/04, 07:25 PM
bring them up unven doesn't hinder muscle devolopment? IMO it makes it better, cause the left arm gets no help from the dominate right arm, an dhas to do it ALL by itself. Thats where control comes in when bringing them down, which helps with stabilizing, control.....etc. Saem witht he stabilty ball, You have to realy concentrate to keep your self on the ball.

--------------
The following, has not be approved by the FDA or FT, it was not meant to diagnose,treat,or prevent any diease(s) Please consult a moderator or doctor before using any of the suggestions or comments.

2004/12/04, 10:34 PM
andrew it's same issue as with compound barbell exercises...

so instead of one arm compensating for the other with a barbell...the people often unconsciously bring down one arm lower than the other with DBs...because it's stronger and they are more comfortable with that....I was guilty of it because I used to do it w/o a mirror...so I never noticed it....however it creates a muscle disbalance in triceps/shoulder which i now have....and yes it does matter great...it's a real issue because now I must work to minimize the disbalance to significantly move up in weight...and i am guessing this is in part to why I had shoulder trouble...
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/12/04, 11:28 PM
but that would be your falt not concertraing on form rather than weight, not the db fault. You let ego get a head of what you can do in a safe and cntrolled manner.

--------------

2004/12/05, 06:34 AM
not at all....I see majority of people have this problem...some of them are doing like 30s for incline flyes/presses(ie quite light)...I in fact switched to Dbs for a while to focus on hitting my muscles better, and I consciously tried to lower DBs evenly, however my perception 'of equal' was off....and so is other peoples'....this is not equivalent of putting 400 lb on bench press and doing quarter reps when my max is 200....for me it didn't involve my ego....I don't know if i am making my point clear...hope it was
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/12/05, 10:22 PM
maybe 30s to them is to heavy?....still its all about control

--------------

cheekytracey
cheekytracey
United Kingdom
2007/07/21, 11:29 AM
does any one know any web sites that show you exercises on a stablitiy ball/gymnasics ball?
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2007/07/23, 01:34 AM
I'll find you one website for every GOOD reason you can give me for wanting to know this.

Don't search after a certain thing because it is a fad. Find what works, reject what doesn't. Don't go seeking a certain mentality just because it appeals to you.

============
Quoting from cheekytracey:

does any one know any web sites that show you exercises on a stablitiy ball/gymnasics ball?
=============

--------------
Mortal by birth.
Strongman by the grace of god.

Blood Guts Sweat Chalk
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2007/07/23, 09:17 PM
Core Stability Training
By Dr. Michael Yessis
For www.EliteFTS.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Core stability training is the latest rage in the fitness and athletic worlds. It has taken on many different forms. However, in essence, it is a strength exercise performed on an unstable surface so that you must overcome resistance while balancing yourself at the same time. The ?experts? who are promoting this type of training believe that most people don?t have ample strength in their hips, abdominals, and lower back muscles (the muscles which make up the body?s core) to stabilize the body in its many activities.

Without a doubt, everyone needs strong midsection muscles for stability and for movement in many different actions. However, the problem is in how the muscles are being exercised for strengthening. In my experience, the methods being used are extremely dangerous. One of the foremost principles of weight training is to maintain a stable position in order to execute the movement with good form and safety. The more unstable your basic position, especially when you?re handling ample amounts of weight, the more dangerous the situation becomes. The slightest off balance movement can result in serious injury.

If you want to develop greater balance, you should train for greater balance. If you want to develop greater stability, you should perform exercises for greater stability. This entails greater strengthening of the muscles involved in maintaining the body in an erect, balanced position. Combining the two is possible but only when you?re capable of executing the balance activity. However, why bother doing this? You will use less weight, have a shorter range of motion, and increase the chances of injury.

It?s interesting to note that many of these same ?experts? who are currently advocating this potentially dangerous type of training are the same ones who advocated the performance of maximum stability type exercises for safety several years ago. They recommended seated and support type exercises in which the body is held in place so that the exercise can be performed safely and effectively. For example, machine exercises were highly recommended because they didn?t involve balance. The body was literally locked in place so there would be little chance of injury due to a lack of balance. Instead of doing exercises such as the standing overhead press, they recommended the seated overhead press. They even suggested performing dumbbell curls in a seated rather than standing position. They recommended more and more of the maximum stability type exercises rather than promoting full balance with full strength.

However, instead of doing strength exercises on unbalanced surfaces, you can develop great stability and strength by performing most exercises in a standing position on a solid, flat surface. When you do standing exercises such as front and lateral arm raises to an overhead position, overhead presses, biceps curls, or triceps extensions, you must constantly balance your body as you do the exercise. When coupled with full range of motion exercises for the midsection, you develop ample core strength as well as strength in the muscles being worked. There isn?t any need to do highly dangerous exercises in an unstable position.

Core stability training doesn?t prepare you for dynamic, full range movements. Athletes who do only core stability training experience problems when participating in sports that require considerable dynamic movement as well as strength and/or power. However, if you do full range of motion strength exercises for the lower back and abdomen, you don?t experience such problems.

By doing exercises such as the back raise, back raise with a twist, reverse trunk twist, Russian twist, reverse sit-up, and hip flexion, extension, and abduction, you can develop stability and strength in the entire midsection. At the same time, you won?t experience any problems. So beware of getting sucked into this latest trend because it won?t benefit you in your sport or in full range, everyday activities.

--------------
\"The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition\"

You have to learn to follow, before you can lead.