Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

hips

yipshi
yipshi
United States
2004/07/04, 06:17 PM
I have been trying get rid of the fat on hips for quite some time and it won't go away. Are there any really good exercises for that area?
fsdsk
fsdsk
United States
2004/07/04, 06:27 PM
Diet Diet Diet. That is the key to losing the fat.
Good Luck!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/07/04, 09:11 PM
Diet Diet Diet, I agree with fsdsk!!

I have lost inches during the last four weeks in EVERY area but my hips! It must be a very stubborn area, even my abs and waist have been whittling slowly away, but those darn hips give me grief! I know, though, that with time and exercise they will finally melt away to a smaller form, so I gotta hang in there! Hope you do to!

Watch your eating patterns, lunges are good as are squats for the more rear area, I also do another exercise, I forget what it is called, but I hold just a dumbell of 5-10 pounds (no bar) in my hand and bend at the side until my hand comes about to my knee or below, I do this 10 reps, 5 sets each side. Can't spot treat, but I can exercise the specific area for more muscle definition so when the fat goes, it looks good!

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
***When you are up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that is not submerged.
***The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/07/04, 09:14 PM
Forgot, that last exercise is more for waist and upper area of the hips - a real good floor exercise is to lie on your side on the floor, knees both bent toward you, place one hand on your hip and the other flat on the floor in front of you, now raise leg up and down, 10-16 reps of 3 sets (or whatever you can do and work up) - first few sets slow, then do last set shorter and faster. It is grueling!

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
***When you are up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that is not submerged.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
QuesTix
QuesTix
United States
2004/07/05, 02:25 PM
It's a horrible idea to use weights with the exorcise you just described, Vedakatherine! If you use weights on your obliques, you'll get rid of the curve that women have there! Try lying supline (on your back, knees bent as though you were doing crunches) and do that without a weight, but pretend you have a weight so you feel it there. My friend tried what you described and was happy with the results for a while before she realized it got rid of her hour glass shape! Try switching to what I said, you'll be far more pleased in the end, I'm sure.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/07/05, 02:34 PM
hmmmmmm...I did not know that, I mean I knew it would build up my obliques, but not get rid of my curves (well, when I get them again!) I'll try your suggestion, I thought that was one of my exercises FT suggested, I could be wrong. I guess I'd rather get my curve back!

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
reeree777
reeree777
United States
2004/07/16, 01:01 PM
You know, I read this article that the fat on the hips and thighs is the most stubborn fat. When doing cardio, fat from the abs is the first to give way. Of course you lose fat from all areas of the body, but I read that losing it from the abs is easier than the hips and tighs. That is why it seems that men lost weight faster than women because men tend to me apple shape and women pear...

Just something that I read.
Damselfly
Damselfly
United States
2004/07/16, 01:43 PM
I think it also depends on where "your" body likes to store it's fat, everyone is different. Mine likes to go to my abs. I do believe I will have to get to a low BF% in order to be rid of it and I have high doubts I will ever witness myself with a 6 pack. My hips on the other hand have trimmed down nicely.
I gain weight first in my stomach and thighs. If you have ever lost and gained weight you will know that the first place you put it on is mostly likely the last place it will come off or at least it will be the last place to look how you want it to look ; )
When I gain weight I gain nothing in my chest or my calves and if I do it is VERY minimal. Even going from 120 something up to nearly 200 lbs my breast size went up only 1 cup size AND I was pregnant!

============
Quoting from reeree777:

You know, I read this article that the fat on the hips and thighs is the most stubborn fat. When doing cardio, fat from the abs is the first to give way. Of course you lose fat from all areas of the body, but I read that losing it from the abs is easier than the hips and tighs. That is why it seems that men lost weight faster than women because men tend to me apple shape and women pear...

Just something that I read.
=============

--------------
Damselfly

Whoever said that sunshine brings happiness never danced in the rain. \\"unknown\\"
Philia2
Philia2
France
2004/07/17, 02:42 AM
Another advice is to work putting on a little bit of muscle mass on the upper part of your body (while working on slimming the lower) so your silhoutte will look a lot more fit and balanced (hour glass figure).

--------------
- Nina :o) Les Victoires éternelles sont celles du coeur.
www.nme-pro.com
bonafide
bonafide
United States
2004/07/24, 02:37 AM
exactly which exercise are you referring to (or can anybody let me know), I'm confused.

============
Quoting from QuesTix:

It's a horrible idea to use weights with the exorcise you just described, Vedakatherine! If you use weights on your obliques, you'll get rid of the curve that women have there! Try lying supline (on your back, knees bent as though you were doing crunches) and do that without a weight, but pretend you have a weight so you feel it there. My friend tried what you described and was happy with the results for a while before she realized it got rid of her hour glass shape! Try switching to what I said, you'll be far more pleased in the end, I'm sure.
=============
whitepacifica
whitepacifica
United States
2004/09/10, 11:52 PM
Hi everyone :big_smile:

I'm new here. I have a question. When I work my obliques, is that doing anything for my hips? Is there a seperate exercise that needs to be done for the hips?

Also I thought you should know, I lay on one side and put my hands behind my head and do crunches to work my obliques. Is that doing anything for my hips?

Your help is appreciated!
Crystal
natalie4162
natalie4162
Canada
2004/09/11, 09:50 PM
well for me the best 2 exercises have to be both on the smith machine. lunges, and squats when I include these in my program I see definate results. If you don't go to a gym try walking lunges with dumbells, and use an exercise ball against wall to do lunges.
amberdawn22
amberdawn22
United States
2006/08/20, 10:28 PM
:love::big_smile:Hi my name is Amber and Im new here and I was just really wanting some good advice on how to slim down my hips and thighs.....
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2006/08/21, 07:53 AM
Did you read this post?

--------------
Less Talk, More Chalk!
The Men and Boys are Separated by one thing: The Squat Cage!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/21, 08:48 AM
amber....take a look at the exercise myths posted in this forum...you'll find it helpful.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/08/21, 09:03 AM
amber... read this post. proper diet and total body exercise will help you lose fat.

--------------

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing.
-Abraham Lincoln
ava_666_tnt
ava_666_tnt
United States
2006/09/08, 10:24 PM
i want to lose my hipsssssss\
i hate my self when i wear pants i wanna loseeeeeee
but i need a good diet plan and a good usefull exercise
how can i get the best??
cuz i think my hips are not gonna leave me!
i exercised a lot but i guess i wasted my time in a wrong way of exercising i need hellllllllllp!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/09/10, 03:48 PM
I want to lose people who don't read the post before adding to ittttttttttt\
i hate people who don't read through posts and i wanna loseeeeeeee them
but i need a good moderating power to get rid of them and keep the useful stuffff
how can i get the best?
cuz i think my patience is gonna leave me!
i answered a lot of posts but i guess i wasted my time in a wrong way of thinking people would read the posts i nedd helllllllllllllp!

--------------

Everything can be taken from a man but one thing; the last of the human freedoms - to choose ones attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose ones own way.
- Victor E. Frankl
slorbets
slorbets
Canada
2006/10/18, 07:00 PM
asimmer- I understand how you feel when you spend time writting out solutions and ideas to problems and it seems as if nobody pays attention.

However, it seems as though many of the people writing new questions are also new to the site. I know when I first signed up to the site, I posted a few questions in random places without reading other posts, until I figured out how exactly the site worked.

Just be patient, I am sure there are people who are paying attention and reading what you wrote!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/10/18, 07:31 PM
I try , slorbets, I try. Patience is not one of my strong suits.
I was just having some fun, I think you are the only one who even noticed...

--------------

I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.
-Henry David Thoreau
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/10/18, 07:57 PM
I noticed,thought it was a little humrous...knew you were just venting...if you don't vent every now and again...you explode!:)