Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Thinking of getting a Trainer

SandyQ
SandyQ
Canada
2004/02/28, 10:31 AM
Anybody know how much trainers cost? I'm at the end of my rope here. I'm doing everything right, yet not losing lbs OR inches. I'm thinking maybe I'm not doing something right and need that person to stand with me. Think it might be worth hiring someone for say 10 sessions to get me on the right track? What's the average cost/hour??? I just need a round about figure.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/02/28, 11:29 AM
Anywhere from $40 - 75 depending on where you live and who you hire.
A good trainer is worth their weight in gold if they motivate you and get you the results you are after.

Look for someone certified by ACE, NASM, ACSM or ISPA. There are a lot of certifying orgs out there, some better than othrs.
Ask if they give a free consultation or free first workout - you don't want to drop all that money and then realize you can't stand the thought of being with them for five minutes, let alone an hour. And ask them questions - what kind of clients do they usualy train? Do they have sme specific testimonials about client weight loss? Some trainers will even have clients you can contact as references.

Good luck!!!

--------------
"To be able to go to the gym and train hard is a joy and a privelege, even though the hard work necessitates driving yourself through considerable discomfort. Savor this privelege and blessing, and revel in it."
Stuart McRobert, Beyond Brawn
Shane123
Shane123
United States
2004/02/28, 01:06 PM
I had a trainer who was certified and had plenty of testimonials. He gave a free consultation and a free workout or two (granted, the latter was to cover his own screwups). I was really impressed when I first started, but as time went by, his lack of exercise, nutrition, and supplement knowledge really began to show through.

I had another trainer who was not certified and had no testimonials. I still use much of his advice, as it was spot on.

Both produced results. The second one just allowed me to competently go it alone without the problems I would've had otherwise.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/02/28, 05:27 PM
Very good idea sandyQ. I work with a trainer 1x per month, besides Freetrainers. It helps, and also gives education.
I pay $42./hr cdn. I beleive you are in Ont right? Some trainers here are certified from the Canadian heart association, amongst the ones that asimmer mentioned.
Just make sure they are NOT a student working in a gym.
Good luck.

--------------
\"A will finds a way\"
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/03/01, 07:30 PM
Shane,
I am sorry you had such a negative experience with a certfifed trainer, but most studies that have been done show that certified trainers do a safer, better job at training. I think one problem is that there are so many certifying orgs that are not really forcing the people to learn what they study - they cab take a test online or through the mail and never have to memorize or apply the knowledge without having the book right in front of them.
There are some very good trainers who are not certified and have years of experience in the gym - but it lends credibility and markeability to get a degree or obtain a respected certification. Plus respectable certifying organizations require continuing education courses to keep skils and knowledge up-to-date.

--------------
"To be able to go to the gym and train hard is a joy and a privelege, even though the hard work necessitates driving yourself through considerable discomfort. Savor this privelege and blessing, and revel in it."
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/03/01, 10:20 PM
SandyQ...did you get a trainer yet?

--------------
\"A will finds a way, failure is not an option\"
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
SandyQ
SandyQ
Canada
2004/03/06, 06:43 PM
Not yet. I've been out of the gym for the last week. I've been training at home.
konary
konary
Canada
2004/03/07, 01:07 AM
How would I go about finding a personal trainer? I am currently working with PT from the gym I go to, but I think it's too expensive although I like my PT. Any tips will be appreciated. :)
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/03/07, 11:47 AM
How much do you pay? A good trainer is anywhere from $40. $75.00 cdn per hr. Usually you can get a trainer at your local gym, or by word of mouth, thats the best way.

--------------
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
konary
konary
Canada
2004/03/07, 12:43 PM
I pay $70CDN + gst at my gym. And I have a feeling that that's not what the trainer gets paid from the gym. Hopefully, after I am done with current trainer in June, I won't need the trainer to work with me.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/03/07, 07:20 PM
You are right, the gym makes $$$ off the trainer. What are you getting for the 75.00. After a while you won't need a full time trainer but good to have one at least 1x per month to keep you in form. I pay 42.00 to very good trainer,and the session is for 1 hr. I can phone him anytime, email, or see him at the gym if he is there.
I use ft to do my programs, and he has always given me the thumbs up on them.
Hope you are doing ok with the trainer you have.

--------------
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
SandyQ
SandyQ
Canada
2004/03/07, 07:29 PM
Unfortunately, our gym won't let Personal Trainers there. They have the Technokey system, so they feel no need for them. If I DO hire one, I'll have to switch gyms.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/03/07, 07:32 PM
Can you explain what a technokey system is? I never heard that name b4. Thanks.

--------------
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
konary
konary
Canada
2004/03/07, 08:47 PM
I workout with my trainer for one hour. I've never exercised in a gym before and haven't been exercising for the last 10 years or so (before that I had phy. ed. classes). She determines which part of my body needs to be developed more(currently my back) and teaches me to keep correct form during exercises. I like that someone tells me what to do and how to do them as I currently have no clue, and pushes me to do more than I would have done if I was alone. Plus, I like my trainer because she herself is in good shape unlike a few other female trainers at the gym who I think need to lose some weight themselves.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/03/07, 09:17 PM
That is the key. If you are comfortable with the trainer, and you feel the job is getting done, then it is worth it, right?

--------------
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
SandyQ
SandyQ
Canada
2004/03/08, 11:09 AM
Techno Key system is a computerized system that has your workout in the computer. You insert the key in each machine and it tells you the # of reps, sets and which numbers to put the machine on. It keeps track of your calories burned, etc., except it doesn't tell you if your doing something wrong! LOL
============
Quoting from carivan:

Can you explain what a technokey system is? I never heard that name b4. Thanks.

=============
Datdanigirl
Datdanigirl
United States
2004/03/08, 10:21 PM
Hmm. Well that is nice once you know which machines to use when, and how, but I would think any reputable facility should have professionals available to assist you in learning correct form and variations of the movements.

I hired a personal trainer for 16 sessions.. the first 8 I used up in 4 weeks, twice a week, having him teach me what all those exercises listed on my ft workout sheet are and how to do them properly. I drilled him on how the different angles hit different muscles, why you should superset certain movements together, and alternatives to each exercise for when that machine is full or when free weights just don't feel right on certain days.

Now I go and do my splits as indicated on my workout here, and I see him once every couple weeks to remind myself of what I'm really capable of and really burn a muscle group.

Invaluable experience in my opinion. Costly yes, but it's a worthwhile investment if you make it an education. Doesn't have to be at your gym either, plenty of personal training facilities around.

My two cents!:big_smile:
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2004/03/09, 08:09 AM
In the end, a training cert. is only a piece of paper. I have seen plenty of trainers who have no business in a gym training individuals. It's sad, but ANYONE can become a trainer. Always be very picky when hiring a trainer, and always ask questions. If a trainer is unwilling to give out any type of workout, diet, supplement info for free don't even bother.
SandyQ
SandyQ
Canada
2004/03/10, 10:55 PM
Now that I see the prices of Trainers, I can kick myself. A bodybuilder offered to train me last year for $100.00 unlimited training for a month! I didnt take him up on the offer. Someone kick me!
lynnoakdale
lynnoakdale
United States
2004/03/12, 10:23 AM
As far as trainers......I dont think there are any certified ones here so one of my firned who is in the gym religiously every morning at 4am said that he would help me with my work out because yesterday was chest and he is always telling me I am not using enough weight for what I want to acheive so I printed my work outs took them with me and gave him the reins to determine the weight I used and how many.......What a difference this made he was there to push me when I didnt think I could do any more and the best thing was I didnt know the weight until after I finished so I was able to bench press 70 pounds yesterday when on my own I would have only done 50 pounds........said thing is he leaves in a few weeks to go back to the states and I will once again work out alone and pray that I dont get stuck.......:dumbbell:
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/03/12, 12:41 PM
Just rememebr - if there is anyone in the weight room, you can ask for a spot and go heavy!!! Push yourself as hard as he pushed you!

--------------
Smart4Lyfe1094
Smart4Lyfe1094
United States
2005/06/16, 09:15 PM
hey, i'm young and i'm trying to fiqure out a trainer that is free or like 20-50 dollars or close 2 that, that is in Florida.:( i'm trying to lose weight but i don't know how. I'm over-weight so i really need help badly if someone could help me i would really like that! :big_smile: :big_smile: :) I NEED HELP!!!!
2005/06/17, 03:51 AM
heh...0 and 50 an hour is a big difference.....look through different gyms...make sure your trainer has a nationally recognized certification....NASM, ISSA, ACE, CFP, etc..
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/06/19, 10:07 AM

============
Quoting from Smart4LYFE1094:

hey, i'm young and i'm trying to fiqure out a trainer that is free or like 20-50 dollars or close 2 that, that is in Florida.:( i'm trying to lose weight but i don't know how. I'm over-weight so i really need help badly if someone could help me i would really like that! :big_smile: :big_smile: :) I NEED HELP!!!!
=============

Please fill out your profile. There are plenty of members on here that are very qualified to help you out, but we need to know more about you.
Welcome to FREETRAINERS.

--------------
Scales are for dead weight: We are not dead yet!
Still trying to find out how to do the Hollywood Free Press.

Ivan

Montreal Canada
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2005/06/20, 01:36 PM
Smart4lyfe - I answered you in the other post that you asked this question on.
exercise300
exercise300
United States
2008/06/11, 12:40 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2008/06/11, 05:56 PM
You don't really don't want to post personal info on the internet. If you want to contact someone, get a hold of them through a private message.

Thanks......

--------------
Michael

Strength & Conditioning is not everything; it just really sucks to be weak and slow.